GHFA Premier League
Sponsors of the
Golden Boot &
Tipping Competition
Sponsors of the
Best Defence Award
Co-sponsor of the
Tipping Competition
Co-sponsor of the
Golden Boot
New rule madness
Posted by: disgrace ()
Date: April 07, 2021 08:43AM

there has been a rumour that has been circulating through Australian football that the ffa will be introducing a new rule to all football games in Australia.

the rule apparently is that any player who makes contact with another players face/head through the use of their arms or hands (doesn't matter if they do it accidentally) will be punished with a free kick against them as well as an automatic yellow card.

can any referee who reads these forums (there are many), can confirm that this rule will be introduced this weekend?

if this rule is being introduced, then shame on football. Can you imagine if two players are going up for a header and in the process, one of them unknowingly brushes the other face? Automatic yellow and free-kick and if it happens in the box, penalty. Disgraceful.

i hope clubs will boycott this ridiculous rule. The game is already soft as it is and rules like this will make the game a farce.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: Haven't heard anything ()
Date: April 07, 2021 09:38AM

Sounds like pretty much any contested header in the air could result in a yellow card and a foul. There could be a thousand penalties called because of this.

Is this a new law change or is this a Football NSW rule (like the 25 metre rule and sin bin)
I haven't heard any news from our club and football starts this weekend. Absolute joke if we get told before kick off of this significant new change.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: Readers ()
Date: April 07, 2021 11:18AM

Haven't heard anything Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like pretty much any contested header in
> the air could result in a yellow card and a foul.
> There could be a thousand penalties called because
> of this.
>
> Is this a new law change or is this a Football NSW
> rule (like the 25 metre rule and sin bin)
> I haven't heard any news from our club and
> football starts this weekend. Absolute joke if we
> get told before kick off of this significant new
> change.

Looked up the referee's website and found this document.

Last dot point confirms the rule change that has been made by the FFA.

Clubs have yet to be informed about this and we need to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: Doco ()
Date: April 07, 2021 11:35AM

Readers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Haven't heard anything Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sounds like pretty much any contested header in
> > the air could result in a yellow card and a
> foul.
> > There could be a thousand penalties called
> because
> > of this.
> >
> > Is this a new law change or is this a Football
> NSW
> > rule (like the 25 metre rule and sin bin)
> > I haven't heard any news from our club and
> > football starts this weekend. Absolute joke if
> we
> > get told before kick off of this significant
> new
> > change.
>
> Looked up the referee's website and found this
> document.
>
> Last dot point confirms the rule change that has
> been made by the FFA.
>
> Clubs have yet to be informed about this and we
> need to.

[www.nwsfra.com.au]

Forgot to paste the link

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: Juice ()
Date: April 07, 2021 07:58PM

Yep, absolutely true... and no, not looking forward to enforcing it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: Man in black ()
Date: April 07, 2021 10:39PM

Ditto. Would like FFA’s view on whether the concept of a “trifling foul” is still in play with this directive...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: only good thing to come from this rule ()
Date: April 08, 2021 12:56AM

unlucky mouyis
cant claim all his elbows to the head are accidental anymore
its still a yellow card
sucked in you grub mouyis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: Aussie Rules ()
Date: April 08, 2021 09:48AM

Looking at FFA's website they have a circular 20-15 -Amendments to the IFAB Laws of the Game from August where all of the other rule changes are mentioned except the hand/arm coming in contact with the face rule change. Can't find an Australian based local rule change advice on FFA's site.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: Horko ()
Date: April 08, 2021 04:21PM

People will just deliberately run into people's elbows now to get them a yellow card

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: Or... ()
Date: April 08, 2021 04:34PM

Horko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People will just deliberately run into people's
> elbows now to get them a yellow card

Any team that is smart would pretty much ensure that for every header in the box, you place a midget against a 6 ft 2-5 bloke, knowing that when he jumps, contact will no doubt be made to the head.

Guaranteed penalty and yellow card.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: Mark Clattenberg ()
Date: April 09, 2021 08:29AM

Hey fellas,

We have received an update and this new rule will NOT be enforced.

So to be clear - a direct free kick and yellow card WILL NOT be given to a player if contact to the head/face with arms/hands is negligible (i.e. hands accidentally brush the face of another player)

Clubs should hopefully be emailed about this. Enjoy the first round!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: THE ROCK ()
Date: April 09, 2021 01:12PM

Horko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People will just deliberately run into people's
> elbows now to get them a yellow card


That has to be the funniest things i've read in a while.

Pretty much because it's true!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: Juice ()
Date: April 14, 2021 06:30PM

Just as an FYI clarification to what will be addressed this season.

In light of increasing awareness of the potential dangers of head trauma, referees have been asked to be vigilant for any contact to the head/face. As such, any contact to the head/face deemed to be reckless, must be addressed with a direct free kick and a caution. Similarly, any contact to the head/face that endangers the safety of an opponent through the use of excessive force, must result in a DFK and a sending-off.

Please note the use of the term "reckless" as used in the LOTG, regarding a caution able offence.

Whether players dislike/disagree, this is the directive referees have been given to follow. Please therefore understand accordingly when and if such offenses are judged accordingly. Hope that clarifies moving forward.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: Rebekah Knight ()
Date: April 14, 2021 08:32PM

This new Law is probably Corvette19 related . .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: Grant Night ()
Date: April 14, 2021 09:29PM

There should be a New Law on holding on to opponents in the box during a corner.

As you as you hold a player before the kick is taken - straight penalty. Too much bullsh1t happening in the box during corners

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: THE ROCK ()
Date: April 15, 2021 11:25AM

@Juice - Great explanation. The term reckless is subjective as it should be for each ref.

@Grant Night - Why? This happens both ways usually. or are we going to give penalise escorts like they do in rugby league.

Half of the art is to become free of this prior to delivering corners, if you are static and are held/blocked, stiff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: Man in black ()
Date: April 15, 2021 09:38PM

@ Grant Night - holding just prior to a corner coming in has become such a part of the art of defending/attacking a corner. Such is the classic “get on the keeper”...
Ordinarily, whilst the ball is out of play, unless there is something worthy of a card (reckless push, or use of excessive force endangering safety of opponent), the referee will generally stay out of it. There would be no card, and play would restart with the corner kick.
But here is the rub - if someone gets the “last shove” in when the ball is flying into the box, and it is “only” a direct free kick because it was judged as being “careless” (not elevated to “reckless”) you can end up with calling what would otherwise be a “soft” penalty.
Usually, you can see this winding up in the moments before a corner or in a particularly feisty match. The better referee will “remind” players that whilst a “careless” push on the lead up to a corner is likely to go unpunished as it has no impact on the manner of restart or the sanctions issued during a game - you sure don’t want to be the player getting the “last shove in” whilst the ball is in play costing your team either a pen or an attacking opportunity... this warning gives the referee the chance to manage the fall out from any call for an obvious push they may have to make...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: the rule ()
Date: April 18, 2021 07:28AM

Mark Clattenberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey fellas,
>
> We have received an update and this new rule will
> NOT be enforced.
>
> So to be clear - a direct free kick and yellow
> card WILL NOT be given to a player if contact to
> the head/face with arms/hands is negligible (i.e.
> hands accidentally brush the face of another
> player)
>
> Clubs should hopefully be emailed about this.
> Enjoy the first round!

In our game yesterday (all age) we were held at the centre circle for 5 minutes discussing the rule. any elbow to the head was apparently a straight red

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: Different game ()
Date: April 18, 2021 08:13AM

Well there is clearly a different interruption from that muppet

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: ummm yeah... ()
Date: April 22, 2021 12:42AM

the rule Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark Clattenberg Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey fellas,
> >
> > We have received an update and this new rule
> will
> > NOT be enforced.
> >
> > So to be clear - a direct free kick and yellow
> > card WILL NOT be given to a player if contact
> to
> > the head/face with arms/hands is negligible
> (i.e.
> > hands accidentally brush the face of another
> > player)
> >
> > Clubs should hopefully be emailed about this.
> > Enjoy the first round!
>
> In our game yesterday (all age) we were held at
> the centre circle for 5 minutes discussing the
> rule. any elbow to the head was apparently a
> straight red


an elbow to the head should be a straight red. this is football not mma….

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: THE ROCK ()
Date: April 22, 2021 09:39AM

Don't agree.

if there is intent yes, if it's accidental, play on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: TG ()
Date: April 22, 2021 10:07AM

I can see players milking this to the max.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: THE ROCK ()
Date: April 22, 2021 10:20AM

thats the problem, players will play on any grey area.

needs to be left alone and as it was.

To be fair, it makes it harder for ref's to be consistent.

Foul play is foul play, a bad tackle is a bad tackle. Let the refs decide if it's punishable by a yellow or red or let to play on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: El Greeko ()
Date: April 26, 2021 07:02AM

time to separate the fans again..

[www.smh.com.au]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rule madness
Posted by: THE ROCK ()
Date: April 29, 2021 11:06AM

Sounds like when we used to play NPL...

Although i didnt think rockdale v united was that big, united v bonnyrigg - thats a different beast!

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 13?