How other districts are handling the rain

Views: 995 Posts: 33
Canterbury
wrote on 25-May-22 18:41

This is a email from a friend who plays in the Canterbury districts.

 

Very good job!

 


After two disrupted seasons in 2020 and 2021 due to Covid, CDSFA is committed to ensuring as many matches get played as possible in 2022.

With the inclement weather so far this year – which has seen only one uninterrupted weekend in the first seven weeks – this season has been disrupted.

Despite these disruptions, the Association is doing everything possible to make sure we don’t have to shorten a third consecutive season.

Unlike the majority of football associations in New South Wales who have simply cancelled games when rounds have been washed-out, we are working hard to reschedule every single competitive premiership game, to ensure all matches are played.

This has resulted in 1,200 matches being rescheduled so far this season. The downside to the rescheduled matches is that the regular season may have to be extended at the expense of finals.

The season cannot be extended further as football only has limited access to fields: summer sports get council grounds for seven months while winter sports get council grounds for five months. Due to this (and the limited number of all-weather fields in our region), our season must be completed by the end of August.

Rest assured we will do our best to ensure finals go ahead for as many leagues as possible, but the priority is to ensure the regular season is completed so that all players get to play their full complement of matches.

To attempt to avoid this scenario, we have rescheduled washed-out games as double headers and midweek games. While these may be an inconvenience, there is no other way around it if we want to play a full season.

The exception to the above is our flagships competitions, the Grace Martin Trophy and the Bill Brackenbury Cup. Due to other factors associated with these competitions, finals need to be played.

Please note, following feedback from clubs and parents involved in small-sided football (non-premiership games), these matches will not be rescheduled if they are washed out.

Too much
wrote on 25-May-22 18:58

Too much hard work for our Association. 
You reckon the two missing ressies games will end up being played? Not a chance in hell

2 Days
wrote on 25-May-22 20:52

2 Days out from game day and draws aren't finalised. WTF is going on. Nice to see the women's grades are all sorted for Sunday though (surprise surprise..)

Day 3
wrote on 25-May-22 22:28

2 Days wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>2 Days out from game day and draws aren't finalised. WTF is going on. Nice to see the women's grades are all sorted for Sunday though (surprise surprise..)


------------------------------------------

It shows as being rescheduled to the 6th August.

Cooper the joker
wrote on 26-May-22 00:06

All the synthetic pitches didn't have any games on it yesterday, now they are full of 45/3 games.

 

What a joke. Everything is in the too hard basket for these guys.

 

What are they going to do if the council opens the grounds? Still cancel it cause they can't undo their mistakes.

 

Give someone  who knows what they are doing a go.

A real suggestion
wrote on 26-May-22 09:24

Seriously, its a bloody tough job. 
They are never going ro please everyone. 

Its a tough one as yes, PL and SL are tge elite competitions in our Association but on the other hand we aren't more special than everyone else who pays rego to play. 
Players in AA11 probably take it just as seriously as we do. 

If NWSF want us to have a week off to fit in some other competitions who have missed out then thats cool. 

But PLEASE for the love of God schedule our missing games on weeknights or double header weekends to get all the games in

Not Rocket Science
wrote on 26-May-22 10:47

Let's be honest though, it's not rocket science.

get a grip
wrote on 26-May-22 11:31

Just on that, are you saying thea AA11 train twice a week?

or they just like the idea of playing football.

 

And did you notice how NO womens games were cancelled? Sounds like the merge with the womens association has really benefitted the mens competition.......

 

I understand the push for womens football because of the world cup etc, but you need to add additional resources ie grounds to cater for it.

Scientist
wrote on 26-May-22 11:41

A real suggestion wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>Seriously, its a bloody tough job. 
They are never going ro please everyone. 

------------------------------------------

How is it tough?

 

Build a preference of who plays first(should be top down).

Get inventory of what fields are available.

Allocate.

Send to refs assosication to cover the games

 

Move on.

 

There are 5 artificial pitches in the association(ELS,PENNO,WEST EPPING,CHRISTIE 1/2)

There should be games on it 7 days a week untill it's all caught up.

 

How hard can it be.

 

Grounds are leased through NWSF, not directly through councils, so Clubs do not have the power over the association to train/play on it.

 

The only thing that may be challenging is that Spirit would need to train on Christie.

 

Bram Stoker
wrote on 26-May-22 11:53

Spirit, Magic and Koalas all train at CP and it's their home ground.

Also, do you really think its fair if PL and SL get to round 12 having played every week and some other conps have had 6 games? Get you head outta your arse. 

Only one way to fix the mess - councils to make more synthetic pitches. 
I believe Meadowbank are getting one. Campbell, Waterloo would be good editions also. 
Imagine having 8 or 9 synthetic pitches in the next couple of years. Would be amazing 

NASA
wrote on 26-May-22 11:58

Prem 1sts have played 7 games, Ressies 5, womans PL 5, most All Age teams 3-4 games with some with only 2 games played.

 

A quick count on Drible and there is roughly 37 men comps of AA, 18/21 games so over 150 games just of men each week. Not many fields have strong enough lights to host night matches and you would need to have no training after 6pm any night of the week for those Clubs to allow 2 games a night to catch up. The Clubs with appropriate lights and grounds in good enough condition would need to be happy to lose their fields for any training. In saying this I'd prefer to have a few catch up games over training.  

 

 

 

Grounds
wrote on 26-May-22 13:13

Why cancel any games this weekend for the sake of it, not like there's not gonna be another rain affected round where some grounds are actually closed

Juice
wrote on 26-May-22 13:32

As an FYI, the association has published a communication on their Facebook page an hour ago addressing this. To think such organisation and logistics is as simplistic task as some believe, is somewhat naive. The association acts on behalf of ALL its members and not specific competitions explicitly. Be grateful for the transparency with this communication that in previous years had been somewhat less forthcoming.

 

Rocket Pocket
wrote on 26-May-22 14:20

Not Rocket Science wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>Let's be honest though, it's not rocket science.


------------------------------------------

 

IT IS ROCKET SCIENCE with hundreds of Teams /divisions..

complicated by partial rounds missed from week 1. Needs dedication. The guy doing it is bamboozled by missed games due to some clubs (like Eastwood closing their grounds in spite a playable/decent surface) 

BUT they have NOT taken it upon themselves to play midweek - even Monday & Fridays are not FULL -ON.  That's why GHFA struggle.

 

So that guy sat down last week/this week and said "ok I am being inudated - I need to cancel the whole of this round & play catch up with all the missed games last few weeks"

 

see - it is rocket Maths

 

 

no logic
wrote on 26-May-22 15:15

Juice wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>As an FYI, the association has published a communication on their Facebook page an hour ago addressing this. To think such organisation and logistics is as simplistic task as some believe, is somewhat naive. The association acts on behalf of ALL its members and not specific competitions explicitly. Be grateful for the transparency with this communication that in previous years had been somewhat less forthcoming.


------------------------------------------
Simple solution would be to not cancel games and just play the whole round as scheduled as every other comp in Sydney will be doing. Complicated because NWSF made it complicated.

Seriously…
wrote on 26-May-22 16:36

So what you are saying is that we are sitting out this week because the bloke can't handle catch up games.

 

fark me dead. 

get help! We pay for his wage, get some extra help and sort it out.

don't postpone matches because you can't handle the stress.

 

next thing we hear he's gonna be out on stress leave...

Y Man
wrote on 26-May-22 18:46

They should really Play week days full on to complete missed rounds - but they are not

6PM to 10.30PM squeeze in 3 games for every playable surface

 

Even the Masters get to play on synthetic surfaces every Friday

 

MIA
wrote on 26-May-22 21:43

Clubs were advised yesterday that Mr Cooper is unavailable for the next 4 days. 

If dollars
wrote on 26-May-22 21:58

It's literally their only job and they get payed over 100 grand for it

This is why we expect more

 

How does it make sense to cancel an entire round and play the previous week's games instead. That's just swapping one problem with another but a while heap of extra work.

 

Also it's not like the rain suddenly sprung on us. We've known it's going to be a rain affected season for a couple months now but no effort has been taken to reschedule games on weeknights at all.

Can’t please
wrote on 26-May-22 22:50

To be honest, you can't please everyone.

if you try to, you will do a half arsed job and people will complain, much like I'm doing now.

The answer is actually pretty simple. Develop a pecking order, and focus on that.

If you said, ok we will play all division 1 matches and the rest has to be replayed at a later date, the. I'm sure they can make this work.

 

I see no benefit in playing 45/3s over PL!

Coops
wrote on 26-May-22 22:54

Cmon Coops, get some Monday nights going for PL and SL champ

PecKer
wrote on 27-May-22 00:34

Can’t please wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>To be honest, you can't please everyone.

>if you try to, you will do a half arsed job and people will complain, much like I'm doing now.

>The answer is actually pretty simple. Develop a pecking order, and focus on that.

>If you said, ok we will play all division 1 matches and the rest has to be replayed at a later date, the. I'm sure they can make this work.

>I see no benefit in playing 45/3s over PL!


------------------------------------- 

 

PL can always cramp into Penno or WEst Epping on weeknights or FRidays

 

other than that - there should be no priority or pecking order for Div 1.

All Divisions py the same fees.

Get over it - Park Footballl

Bash
wrote on 27-May-22 00:38

I think it is right for the Assoc to cancel this Round since there are Teams which played only 2 matches...  and also some 4 or 5.

They will not do much better if they don't also start having mid week games as well.

Need to correct this imbalance before it gets out of hand. 

Y Man
wrote on 27-May-22 00:43

MASTERS have now played 7 matches - all on synthetics.

Whilst some teams have only 2 matches.

 

THerefore - join the MASTERS next year if you want more matches in the rain.

Top Division For A Reason
wrote on 27-May-22 01:59

PecKer wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>Can’t please wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>>To be honest, you can't please everyone.

>>if you try to, you will do a half arsed job and people will complain, much like I'm doing now.

>>The answer is actually pretty simple. Develop a pecking order, and focus on that.

>>If you said, ok we will play all division 1 matches and the rest has to be replayed at a later date, the. I'm sure they can make this work.

>> 

>>I see no benefit in playing 45/3s over PL!

>
------------------------------------- 

>PL can always cramp into Penno or WEst Epping on weeknights or FRidays

>other than that - there should be no priority or pecking order for Div 1.

>All Divisions py the same fees.

>Get over it - Park Footballl


------------------------------------------

Actually the PL, SL and WPL teams pay the most rego fees in this association, not every division does!

We should have every right to get first priority preference as we're top division competition in the association, either they organise mid-week catch up rounds for us as they should or to still fulfill the fixtures for the season which they have already allocated to PL, SL and WPL (pending weather rescheduling of course!).

Re Jig
wrote on 27-May-22 08:41

To help catch up more matches they could make Over 45's games into 30 minute a half games. When most of the comp are 55+ yo players, why do they play 20 minutes more than much fitter Under 16's?  Most would be happy to get to the esky faster and would mean several less injuries a week for them. Over 35's and even AA could play 35 or 40 minute halves.  

All syntho's could have games from 5:30pm and squeeze as many in as possible. The Clubs with syntho's will comlain they miss training but most clubs with grass fields have had two trainings since February. I think everyone would rather play more games than train more....

fussball
wrote on 27-May-22 08:55

Re Jig wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>To help catch up more matches they could make Over 45's games into 30 minute a half games. When most of the comp are 55+ yo players, why do they play 20 minutes more than much fitter Under 16's?  Most would be happy to get to the esky faster and would mean several less injuries a week for them. Over 35's and even AA could play 35 or 40 minute halves.  

>All syntho's could have games from 5:30pm and squeeze as many in as possible. The Clubs with syntho's will comlain they miss training but most clubs with grass fields have had two trainings since February. I think everyone would rather play more games than train more....


------------------------------------------

 

Why not play 10minutes?

that would solve all the problems in an instance

great idea
wrote on 27-May-22 10:08

Actually you know what, that's a great idea.

Also less pitch ware as O45 would be the heavist in the association with all tipping in >80KG min.

 

Wow- thats actually a brilliant suggestion

theo huxtable
wrote on 27-May-22 10:48

Top Division For A Reason wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>PecKer wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>>Can’t please wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>>>To be honest, you can't please everyone.

>>>if you try to, you will do a half arsed job and people will complain, much like I'm doing now.

>>>The answer is actually pretty simple. Develop a pecking order, and focus on that.

>>>If you said, ok we will play all division 1 matches and the rest has to be replayed at a later date, the. I'm sure they can make this work.

>>> 

>>>I see no benefit in playing 45/3s over PL!

>>
------------------------------------- 

>> 

>>PL can always cramp into Penno or WEst Epping on weeknights or FRidays

>> 

>>other than that - there should be no priority or pecking order for Div 1.

>>All Divisions py the same fees.

>>Get over it - Park Footballl

>
------------------------------------------

>Actually the PL, SL and WPL teams pay the most rego fees in this association, not every division does!

>We should have every right to get first priority preference as we're top division competition in the association, either they organise mid-week catch up rounds for us as they should or to still fulfill the fixtures for the season which they have already allocated to PL, SL and WPL (pending weather rescheduling of course!).


------------------------------------------

Yes PL/SL do pay more fees, but 99.9% of the time you also get a ref & 2 AR's. Thats not always the case with AA/O35/O45 games. You also probably get access to a range of other perks that your clubs AA/O35/O45 dont.

Q&A
wrote on 27-May-22 11:20

Ok, so do you not agree that PL/SL should take priorite over AA/O35/O45?

 

And what do you think about women's football being priorised over AA/O35/O45?

 

 

fussball
wrote on 27-May-22 13:08

>>Ok, so do you not agree that PL/SL should take priorite over AA/O35/O45?

 

Yes we do - so help yourselves to MON/TUE/WED?THU/FRIs.

The synthetic grounds are pretty free on these days  Why confine yourself to just SAT? even EPL plays midweek sometimes

Juice
wrote on 27-May-22 17:20

fussball wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>>>Ok, so do you not agree that PL/SL should take priorite over AA/O35/O45?

>Yes we do - so help yourselves to MON/TUE/WED?THU/FRIs.

>The synthetic grounds are pretty free on these days  Why confine yourself to just SAT? even EPL plays midweek sometimes


------------------------------------------

Perhaps consider that these grounds are also clubs' grounds that have a right to access for their own teams' training? It's not as simple as oh we'll just play mid weeks. Again, think far broader implications than PL/SL this and that.

We train too
wrote on 04-Jun-22 01:24

Juice wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>fussball wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>>>>Ok, so do you not agree that PL/SL should take priorite over AA/O35/O45?

>> 

>>Yes we do - so help yourselves to MON/TUE/WED?THU/FRIs.

>>The synthetic grounds are pretty free on these days  Why confine yourself to just SAT? even EPL plays midweek sometimes

>
------------------------------------------

>Perhaps consider that these grounds are also clubs' grounds that have a right to access for their own teams' training? It's not as simple as oh we'll just play mid weeks. Again, think far broader implications than PL/SL this and that.


------------------------------------------

Most Prems teams train twice a week and have a full pitch to themselves

That's a ground that can be used for a catch up....

Not taking away from anyone elses training then

Author:
Subject: