45 1s Saturday Round up

Views: 11687 Posts: 43
Jethro
wrote on 13-Aug-18 21:04

Surprise packets of the day were All Saints Hunters Hill capably led by Big Al Bekopic and talked up on the sideline by the Jeff the injured Canuck. ASH faced up against Epping FC in the late game under lights at West Epping. ASH should have been awarded four pens during the game but had to settle for two, one of which sailed over the western end cross bar. Epping FC should have had the game wrapped up by the 70 minute mark and before the send-off but poor finishing put pay to any chance of retribution against EEW at Christie in two weeks’ time. For the first time this season ASH were able to call on their full squad of players who apparently don’t like to travel up the main line during the regular season. Epping FC have been waiting for a show down with EEW since round 1 and will now have to wait for the November Gold Coast Pan Pac Masters before any chance of tasting gold this year. Interesting onlookers from EEW included Splash, Dunny and Doogs would have been somewhat relieved at not having to play Epping FC in two weeks’ time. In the other semi EEW sailed past Pepi’s North Ryde 3-0 at Boronia to set up the show down with ASH. In the ‘so called’ 2nd division semi, Eastwood St Andrews scored two unanswered goals against an understrength Normo and advance to the final against Spanner’s Hills Hawks who drew 1-1 with the Roselea Jibberers. The final will be played on the synthetic at Penno next Saturday. May the best teams win.

DNA42
wrote on 14-Aug-18 13:09

How do Hawks make the Grand Final when Roselea finished above them on the table? I thought that was the defining difference when teams are equal on points in the Finals. Very interesting concept conjured up by GHFA to have the Div 1 Premiers play the Div 2 Premiers for a spot in the Div 1 Grand Final. Then we have the teams that came 7th & 8th make the Div 2 Grand Final..... There is a true indication of all the best O45 teams in 2018. Thank you GHFA......cough, cough.

Jethro
wrote on 14-Aug-18 21:04

My error Div 2 final is Roselea v STA

H
wrote on 15-Aug-18 08:09

Jethro, Interested to know who the Old Epping FC players are running around in 45's ?? I'm assuming EEW is same old, same old.

DNA42
wrote on 15-Aug-18 12:02

I know of Nick, Fraser and Roger from EFC that are still playing.

oldbugger
wrote on 15-Aug-18 18:03

H, EEW is pretty much the same side that has been around for the last decade. Only new face is a big bald guy up front that could get a gig on WWF. EFC is mainly the same guys still kicking around as well plus a few new entrants like Frank í can take free kicks like Ronaldo"Speranza and a few others I think that may have played 35's. I thought Fraser was not playing with an ACL injury from last season? That is a little surprising to see EFC get rolled by All Saints but I believe All Saints have a good side when they all turn up, EFC probably thought it may have been like the round games where they rolled them 5-1 or something like that. Could be an interesting final against EEW. I also see the big guns in Ravens and St Andrews getting through in the 35's. Might venture up and cast an eagle eye of both games next weekend at Christie if the sun can stay out. My old bones don't handle the cold weather well now.

Jethro
wrote on 15-Aug-18 22:09

EFC have a large squad and seem to recruit quite a few new players each season in an attempt to get the better of Epping Eastwood. This includes a small group who have gone from Nth Epping to North Rocks to WRR to North Rocks in recent years and now EFC including John Olivera, Robbie O, Chris Ward and Carlos. Fraser has been out all season (ACL). Nick Bessis and Roger are still there as are Anthony Dwyer (AD), Graham 'Chicka' Clinton, The Guru, Duck, Big John. Not too many of the originals left. Epping Eastwood had about four retirements from last season including Motta and one of the Cooper brothers. They resurrected Steve 'Splash' Madden and 'Mumbles'. Craig Thornton (GK), Angry Ant Michell, Dunny, Doogs, Toss, Kiwi, Goatie, Whitie and Frenchie are still going around

DNA42
wrote on 16-Aug-18 10:00

HWK v LEA Semi was 5-3 and not 1-1 as we thought.

DNA42
wrote on 16-Aug-18 10:08

Not sure how they have worked it but the O45/2 GF is between Eastwood St Andrews and Hills Hawks at 2pm Pennant Hills.

Jethro
wrote on 16-Aug-18 21:02

Compman says 5-3 on pens after being 1-1 at full time. Very strange. Seems to contradict the GHFA By-Laws At the Normo/STA game the ref approaches both teams at half time to tell them no extra time, no pens. If a draw at FT the team finishing higher on the table goes through to GF

DNA42
wrote on 16-Aug-18 22:06

#SpannerGate!!!!!

Prediction
wrote on 17-Aug-18 20:05

Epping FC must be jinxed, this was the year they could have got close to winning the comp. EEW with a number of retirements have perhaps come back to the field a bit. Epping FC end the season with the best goal difference and just when they were in a long purple patch of form GHFA abandons the washed out 2nd round vs EEW. Farrkk!! Despite conceding a couple of penalties in the second half against AHH they were the better team throughout. They played the last 25 minutes with 10 men and were still going forward consistently. Just couldn’t finish any of their half chances. AHH have a couple of danger men and a bit of pace. But it would be a massive upset to roll the ever consistent EEW. Plenty of class and danger still there with Toss, Whitey, Coops, Doogs, Dunny, Mick Dick & a couple of the newer guys. Prediction EEW 3-1

Jethro
wrote on 17-Aug-18 22:00

Hey Pep, Just heard from some of the STA Eastwood lads. The Hills Hoists v Roselea Jibberers game should have gone to pens but the ref didn't know the rules. Pens took place on Wed night!! Can you believe it? Spanner lives to play another final

DNA42
wrote on 18-Aug-18 00:01

So are we to believe that both teams suited up for a 10 minute penalty shoot out 4 days after the game to decide who plays in the Div 2 Grand Final 'cause the Ref didn't know the rules????? Where was the shoot out, Christy Pk? #SpannerGateLivesOn

Grant Night
wrote on 18-Aug-18 22:01

these refs should be sacked ..how easy is it to ring up the assoc at half time or full time..or even b4 the match

Jethro
wrote on 19-Aug-18 09:06

According to Spannergate Hawks had already handed back their shirts for the season and had to get another strip to suit up for the shoot out at Penno on Thursday night. They had to wait until 9.30 after Premier League training had finished. Both teams warmed up, took the pens and went home. I'm assuming the eski didn't get a work out

schultz
wrote on 24-Aug-18 14:04

Really? If that's the case how would the ref know who was or wasn't on the field at the end of full time? Can't believe the amount of refs that didn't get the memo regarding the shootouts, was there one?

DNA42
wrote on 27-Aug-18 10:04

O45/1 Grand Final Epping Eastwood vs All Saints Hunters Hill. Epping Eastwood score an early Goal with All Saints equalizing with a nice lob over the keeper midway through the first half. 1/1 at halftime. All Saints Hunters Hill were pressing and creating chances. EEW's Angry Ant Mitch was his usual self fouling and giving away dirty free kicks and deserved his yellow. One through ball from EEW put big Roy away and a professional foul on him saw ASH down to 10 men. ASH kept creating chances and were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box but still no joy. Rod made a run into the box and was taken out by the EEW fullback which should have been a clear penalty but the Ref decided to give the free kick to EEW and gave Rob a yellow for diving??? Really bad call. The cards were flying around now and a silly reckless foul from Jack of EEW earned him 10 in the bin. More yellows and another sin bin saw the game at 10 v 9. It was looking as extra time was on when, with less then 2 minutes to play the Ref found a way to award EEW a penalty that wasn't even close to a foul. Toss stepped up to slot the ball into the bottom left corner for the win 2/1 to EEW. Way below par performance by the Ref which ultimately decided the outcome of the match and he handed the GF win to EEW. So ends the 2018 farce of a comp known as the O45 1/2s with Epping Eastwood as Div 1 Premiers & Champions and All Saints Hunters Hill runners up. North Ryde Div 2 Premiers playing in the Div 1 Finals. Hills Hawks (7th) winning Div 2 Grand Final 2/1 vs Eastwood St Andrews who finished 8th.

Paul
wrote on 27-Aug-18 14:02

My take on the 45s game. EEW dominated the opening maybe 20 minutes and should have been up 2-0. After the first goal via a crisp volley by Dunny, Angry Ant Mitch had a runaway one on one with the keeper, which, not unsurprisingly perhaps, he made a mess of. EEW had a big shout for a penalty later in the first half. ASH scored via a cock-up by an EEW central defender when a floated through ball hit him on his turned back and for some odd reason the EEW keeper decided to join the comedy show and got stranded in no man's land. A simple chip over his head to an open goal was a formality. With the goal came ASH confidence in the second part of the first half. The second half mostly favored ASH. They created half chances, hit the post and had a penalty appeal waved away. EEW scored what looked to be the winner with a header but had a line ball offside ruling go against them with the ball in the back of the net. The sending off of Big Al was unfortunate. The ref probably got the decision correct, Al was the last defender and a deliberate trip brought down the big EEW bald fella up front. Ref didn't hesitate which was interesting given he'd hesitated a few times during the match on various crucial decisions. ASH continued to play well & were strong even with 10 men. They deserved more than a loss. The late penalty was pretty clear cut from where I stood. A free kick anywhere else on the park. EEW once again did what they needed to do to win another Christie Park grand final. Someone said they've won 7 of the last 8 in 35s/45s and won Premierships for the last 8 years running. Not an insignificant achievement in anyone's books. So that was the football. But it was a sobering day for all as we felt the awful pain ASH 45s player and ASH club president Paul Manton at the game in a wheelchair, battling his illness. All the best wishes and hopes go out to Paul and his family. Last week GHFA lost one of it's best ever players in YMCA's Dave Taylor who was part of this generation of Over 45s. On a brighter note, it was fantastic to at last see Christie Park playing conditions looking so beautiful. Players saying it's got the best quality synthetic grass going around. It's a rarity to complement GHFA but well done on this occassion or maybe the thanks goes to Ryde Council for most of the funding no doubt.

Jethro
wrote on 27-Aug-18 20:07

I agree with most of DNA and Paul's thoughts. The ref was pretty ordinary and inconsistant. Not sure how you go to the sin bin for a foul. I thought that was for dissent. From where I was standing I didn't see any player go into the bin. The disallowed EEW goal for offside was a borderline decision and could have gone either way. The send off was about right. Big Al was the last defender and ankle tapped Roy who I thought had the strength and speed to ride the tackle but decided to go down and leave it up to the ref. Rob from ASH had a quiet night up front and was probably still feeling the affects of the bad tackle he received in the semi against EFC. No doubt that's why he didn't start the game. Fully fit he would have been a real hand full for the EEW defence. I thought the EEW pen was soft with minimal contact. Either the ref had a better view of things or couldn't wait around for extra time. No doubt about it, EEW know how to win. Such a fantastic record. All in all it was a good final. It's also good to see more teams other than EFC taking it to EEW. Hopefully, GHFA can encourage a few clubs to transition teams from 35's to 45 1's next season and let the division 2 sides be exactly that. Good crowds for both 35's and 45's finals. No doubt the new facilities at Cristie contributed. My best wishes also to Paul Manton and his family. It was only last year that I played against Paul in a grand final.

DNA42
wrote on 28-Aug-18 08:04

Well said Paul and Jethro. Always good to hear how others saw the game. From where I was the EEW penalty was more of a dive and of all the penalty calls not given, that was the softest. All in all Football is the Winner. Looking forward to how GHFA teams perform in the COC. Good Luck!

DNA42
wrote on 28-Aug-18 14:05

This is the ASH penalty shout that I thought would have been given at 1hr 14 min 10sec

DNA42
wrote on 28-Aug-18 14:07

Now the GF videos are up on the GHFA website you can judge for yourself about the EEW penalty.
Go to 1 hr 23 min 30 sec.
Please let me know what you think.

Paul
wrote on 28-Aug-18 21:02

I should write that second paragraph again.Left out a word. The problem I see with the ASH penalty shout was it "wasn't" quite a clear foul but if it was determined to be then it was just outside the box. Which is what I thought on the day.

Paul
wrote on 28-Aug-18 21:07

I'd have still given the EEW penalty - there was solid amount of contact in the back of the EEW player. It was poorly judged by the defender, he effectively jumped into the back of the EEW player but missed the ball. To my eyes he was more concerned about the EEW player in front. Had he headed the ball he might have been ok but he didn't really get close. The problem I see with the ASH penalty shout was it quite a clear foul but if it was determined to be then it was just outside the box. Which is what I thought on the day.

Jethro
wrote on 28-Aug-18 22:09

The way I see it from the video footage: ASH appeal for a Pen. The EEW defender played the man and not the ball but contact was just outside the box The send off: Arguable whether the ASH defender was in line with EEW No.14 i.e. Big Al may not have been the last defender. EEW pen: poor judgement by the ASH defender. Minimal contact in the back of the EEW attacker was enough for the ref to point to the spot

DNA42
wrote on 29-Aug-18 09:05

All in all EEW know how to get the job done. Cheers for your take on the pens Paul and Jethro.

Paul
wrote on 29-Aug-18 11:05

Watched that game again last night, it was better live. Downloaded it can be fast forwarded. O45s is pretty pedestrian so it needs a bit of speeding up! On second viewing I thought EEW played and were capable of playing the better football. Some of the highlights: 8min.20sec - EEW Goal - Good finish 13min.30sec - EEW one on one with keeper - Worst effort of the day? 16min.15sec - ASH Goal - EEW Comedy Capers Gift - Good finish 52min.57sec - EEW disallowed offside goal - Not sure that was offside 1hr.02min.49sec - ASH Send off - Professional fowl but was he the last defender? Just, I think. 59min - ASH hit post - Good grief, how did he miss? 1hr.14min.10sec - ASH Penalty shout - Close but outside the box. 1hr.23min.30sec - EEW Penalty - Clumsy defending gave ref little choice.

45s Observer
wrote on 01-Sep-19 14:09

I caught the 45s GF yesterday, EEW Vs EFC. Unlike last year’s final there were bugger all moments of controversy. But as usual, EEW came out on top in yet another final, this year with a tight 1-0 win. Not a bad game overall but unfortunately it lacked a goal until the last 10 minutes. EEW fully deserved the win based on the balance of play. EEW ran with the wind in the first half and dominated, especially the opening 20 odd minutes. The Y found themselves with a stacked defence and relied on trying to counter attack with their isolated strikers. They did though create a few dangerous moments for the EEW defence. The Y didn’t really mount any sustained periods of pressure at any stage of the game. EEW were playing some good football in the first half but found it impossible to create many clear cut chances. They had plenty of corners but lacked penetration. EEW had a penalty shout that looked close but the oldtimer ref waved it away. He had a pretty ordinary afternoon, struggled to make decisions either way. He let go some physical stuff go unpunished in the first half, mostly by EEW. The Y would have been pretty happy to get to half time without conceding. In the second half the Y would have expected some more territory with the wind at their backs but that wasn’t really the case. The wind died down and they failed to get forward with much threat. EEW defence was solid all game, giving the Y strikers little room to move. The goal eventually came from a free kick floated into the box, flicked on by Dunny to a free right winger who crossed it low to Toss to bundle home from close range. The Y had strengthened their squad this year and had a convincing 5-1 win against EEW during the season after losing to EEW in two earlier fixtures. So they would have been full of confidence going into the GF. But as usual EEW stepped it up when it counted. EEW have won 8 of the the past 9 grand finals, spread over the 35-1 and 45s. And won premierships for the last 9yrs straight. That’s a fine record.

Isaac Heeney
wrote on 06-Sep-19 08:00

Jethro is missing from the GF this year.. he must have been to the NPL1

Jethro
wrote on 07-Sep-19 21:01

I was there as usual. I pretty much agree with Whitey's assessment of the game except my take on the goal is that Toss didn't score but rather a Fraser Forristal OG. As backed up by Splash. It doesn't seem to matter how much recruiting EFC do they still can't get the better of EEW when it matters. Not the best EEW I've seen. Good keeper but not the same as Craig. They missed Whitey, Kiwi and even Angry Ant. The replacements gained from 35's don't fit the same style and too hard to juggle such a large squad. Good to see and catch up with plenty of old boys in the crowd

Isaac Heeney
wrote on 09-Sep-19 12:05

Me reckons it's time Div One get their own division instead of merging/mixing with div-2. GHFA must be the only assoc. with this kinda arrangement.

Keith Hackett
wrote on 18-Nov-20 16:09

Jethro, ANy update for us this year.. EEW's championship aura and era is being curtained down this year welcome to the Village (old) People

Jethro
wrote on 31-Mar-21 19:05

I heard they had disbanded. A couple of them that came from 35's two seasons ago were trialing with EFC. EEW have two lower division 45's this season but I don't know where they came from.

oldbugger
wrote on 06-Apr-21 18:05

it is about time they combined associations to make a strong competition of it and prevent one sided and teams of lesser skill having to compete against the super sides, will be interesting to see how they go against the likes of Kellyville

Great Concept
wrote on 07-Apr-21 13:04

The combination of 45/1s comp is a great idea and one of the better ones in recent years. The lads I know that play in the comp are looking forward to it and will be guaranteed a tough game every week. It might push teams on the 35/45 border to it if the 6 team 7 team debacle that happens in the 35/1s each year.

Masters in Biochem.
wrote on 13-Apr-21 19:06

Jethro Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I heard they had disbanded. > > A couple of them that came from 35's two seasons > ago were trialing with EFC. > > EEW have two lower division 45's this season but I > don't know where they came from. mAYBE THE TOP DOGS HAVE DECIDED TO HAVE A HONEYMOON SEASON & PLAYING LOWER?

Older Bolder
wrote on 19-Apr-21 14:05

Jethro/Oldbugger, Where 're the Penno O45/1 team from..? EEW?

DNA42
wrote on 19-Apr-21 16:08

I believe the Penno 45/1 this year are made up from their 2020 35/1s plus newbies.

Jet Li
wrote on 26-May-21 09:03

Looks like the Hills Teams are good value for money/fees.. giving ghfa teams a good run

fussball
wrote on 09-May-22 14:43

What happened to the EEW legends - the O45 DIV 1 team from 2 years ago.

dis-banded?

Swanee
wrote on 25-May-22 09:32

fussball wrote:
------------------------------------------
>

>What happened to the EEW legends - the O45 DIV 1 team from 2 years ago.

>dis-banded?

------------------------------------------

Walking Football is pretty popular for those over 50 now, no contact, no agression 

Kelly's Heroes
wrote on 28-Jun-22 14:42

sh*t the 35/1 are pretty consistent.. but the O45/1s are like dogs-breakfast team can win 7-0 and then lose 10-1 the next week.  wtf.

Author:
Subject: