Re: Most successfull clubs @ PL Level
Posted by: The Citizen ()
Date: May 29, 2016 07:42PM

EEW lads still kicking butt today in the O45/1

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Swanee ()
Date: May 30, 2016 04:50PM

Thanks Jethro I am always happy to be corrected, your recollection is correct Normo did come in 1978 and then I think we dropped out into NSW Federation Div 9 for a year or two and got absolutely smashed in different areas of Sydney every Sunday by Paddington SC and Moorebank United, great update and some of the names bring back horrifying memories especially as a first grade keeper !!

Posted by: Craig Simmons ()
Date: March 25, 2017 12:52AM

Firstly,some great posts here,brings back a lot of memories.I played in a lot of the sides mentioned here.I played with Ryde rsl in the late 70's early 80's.After being premiers in 1981 and getting beaten in the infamous GF against NER where Gerald McColgan mooned our supporters at LH Ward,a few of the team followed our mad coach Jimmy Cooper over to Ryde Panthers to play Federation.After a couple of years there I headed back to Ryde where we won by memory the 2nd division in 84 then winning 1st division in 85.The following year the club was finished.I then moved to Gladesville RSL for a few frustrating years,before going to play with North Ryde in the state league under the coaching of Bruce James,who enjoyed making you run a couple of marathon's each training session,but that said it was a great team to play with,someone mentioned Brownie in a post.I played with him at North Ryde,and you could not meet a more easy going bloke,but he was lethal on the field and formed a great partnership at the back with Donnie Wilson.After this I went back to Gladesville Rsl for the Dave Batten era.Dave was a fantastic for the Premier league,but I think he thought he would come in and kill it,but he found out that 1st year,that it was a lot harder than he thought.EEW were the guns,with the worst ground to play on.Batts did recruit a few players for his 2nd year,but the side was still a majority of local guys where we went on to be premiers.The following year we went one step better and were champions against the mighty EEW.The following year '99,Batts somehow managed to persuade some EEW boys over the Gladesville.Even though we won the Premiership,it just didn't seem the same,and if you asked the EEW boys I'm sure they would feel the same.The following year we couldn't get the numbers for 2 sides,and the Dave Batten era was over,but they were a great 4 years.Old Bloke,the guy your thinking of that played at Ryde Rsl was John Begovic.Your right,he was probably the most talented player I had played with,but unfortunately he loved a drink.I can still see him dribbling through the whole side and scoring in a game at Meadowbank,only for the goal to be wrongly disallowed for offside,no wonder he drank????????????????

Posted by: mark alphabet ()
Date: March 27, 2017 09:44PM

Some great posts and a lot of good memories To old bloke and recollections Ryde RSLwere premiers and champions in 1984 and after being promoted jn 1985 were champions and losing semi finalists in the state cup the same year.The team was made up of mainly ex state league players who played at a high level.Meadowbank and North Epping were very competitive and had some skilful players.The team had 3 or 4 ex croation state league players including John Begovich who definiteley liked a drink.Unfortunateley the club folded and players went to different clubs.In the 90s epping eastwood were very strong and some still play in the over 45s.Eastwood St Andrews had some good sides in early to mid 2000s and Kenthurst more recently.

Posted by: OLD BLOKE ()
Date: March 28, 2017 06:47PM

Great to read from fellow team mates from Ryde RSL .... G'day Simmo!

Up for another season after relegation from 35/1's with Normo.

At my age it's getting tougher, but when its in your blood, you cant give it away.

My son plays Prems for Normo and he thinks his old man is slowing down but we played on game of Prems together season before last...he then went for a beer and I went for a radox bath!

Happy new season to all!

Posted by: recollections ()
Date: April 18, 2017 05:14PM

Craig Simmons, a great post. I think I played against you when I played at Beecroft during the early 1990's. Simmo and Zanolla ran the midfield.

The games against pre-Batts Gladesville were more competitive than those later on. Beecroft were perennial strugglers and when the drop came in '96 it did in a big way - think Stoke City 1985.

We didn't have the cattle to field a competitive reserve grade side and we should have pulled the pin in late '95 when Dippa, Adrian Marcerola, Fabio Marcerola, Gino Isoardi, Duncan Clark and Mark Upfold pulled the pin.

I remember scoring one of the best goals of my life at Cheltenham in a 1-6 loss against GRL. Barney was in goals. We could have lost by more.

In my opinion Morrison five was the best ground to play at. Peel was good too. I hate to imagine how good Ryde RSL would have been on a decent ground!

I saw Ryde RSL win the Premier League Two Grand Final at LH Waud in 1984 one- nil against the YMCA B -team. My older brother played for the YMCA in the reserves. I played at the YMCA for 15 years prior to moving to the Wombats.

That B team merged with the A's in 1986 to form a great YMCA team that won the CoC's at Parklea against Kissing Point. I saw that one too. Kissing Point finished with nine players. The semi against Liverpool Albion at Tempe was a classic 4-2 in extra time with the late Andy Ferris scoring a bicycle kick.

There are some photos on FB of this CoC win and the Epping FC website has some photos of an earlier AA CoC win in 1982.

Meadowbank United are but a distant memory. I remember them playing at West Epping Oval in their Leeds United away kit in the early '80's. They were a fading side by the mid-1980's with high levels of skill and low levels of mobility. They were tough though and liked a drink.

Anyway massive respect to all the old timers who hop on here for a look.

Kind regards

Theo

Date: September 14, 2017 01:48PM

U keep saying who cares, all these players are part of a history ! that u dont seem to have ! Will be interesting to see, when ur time is up. What u have achieved ????

Posted by: Craig Simmons ()
Date: October 23, 2017 09:37PM

Great post Theo
It's a pity we don't have any photos to go with all these posts.Can't believe you only got one past Barney
Cheers
Simmo

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 5 plus 11?