Anzac Day

Views: 1430 Posts: 22
100yrs
wrote on 24-Mar-15 08:06

Rumour has it that we are playing on Anzac Day. Surely not? GHFA wouldn't be that stupid would they? On the 100 year anniversary? And no public holiday Monday. Would have thought we'd move to Sunday at least?

No way
wrote on 24-Mar-15 09:06

The Comp is already starting late because of Easter and I highly doubt anyone would want to play on a Sunday the day after Anzac Day with a massive hangover

Vet
wrote on 24-Mar-15 10:01

Pretty sure no one wants to play on Anzac day when they started drinking at 6am

JH7
wrote on 24-Mar-15 10:05

I don't think there are any spare weekends, so if a week or two are washed out then the number of semi-finals to be played will be reduced. Agree about playing on ANZAC Day - not ideal - I had heard that GHFA had been pressured to cancel the junior fixtures so kids could march in the parade - I think they agreed to this. Could be mistaken though...

Horko
wrote on 24-Mar-15 14:01

We played a GHFA cup game on Anzac day a few years ago so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest

YMCA
wrote on 24-Mar-15 15:03

The GHFA have no say in this the clubs voted at the last meeting and the clubs voted for PL/SL to play on ANZAC day the GHFA have to follow what the clubs want. We are playing.

YMCA
wrote on 24-Mar-15 16:00

JH7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don't think there are any spare weekends, so if > a week or two are washed out then the number of > semi-finals to be played will be reduced. > > Agree about playing on ANZAC Day - not ideal - I > had heard that GHFA had been pressured to cancel > the junior fixtures so kids could march in the > parade - I think they agreed to this. > > Could be mistaken though... GHFA don't get pressured by clubs, a club put up a motion and then the clubs vote, show how much you actually know about how this association is run, the club have the say.

Not difficult
wrote on 24-Mar-15 20:01

If it's PL/SL specific then why not have the option of us playing this weekend (ie weekend before easter) as has been done in previous years. This would give the extra game in order to have the 25th off. Or alternatively, given that no one else is playing and all grounds are presumably available, have us play not on the public holiday but instead on the Sunday (albeit not wholly ideal for those with a sore head). Plenty of options that could have been offered - don't see why they weren't available.

turnip
wrote on 24-Mar-15 21:01

venom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Maybe a week night game would have been a better > option though as playing on Anzac Day isn't ideal Good in theory but with 10 PL & 10 SL games and the lack of grounds that are suitable for night fixtures, I don't think that is plausible. Moving the games to Sunday would be more practical.

venom
wrote on 24-Mar-15 21:03

Cricket finals this week end, and presumably girls and some all age games would be on that Sunday. Maybe a week night game would have been a better option though as playing on Anzac Day isn't ideal

JH7
wrote on 25-Mar-15 09:02

YMCA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JH7 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I don't think there are any spare weekends, so > if > > a week or two are washed out then the number of > > semi-finals to be played will be reduced. > > > > Agree about playing on ANZAC Day - not ideal - > I > > had heard that GHFA had been pressured to > cancel > > the junior fixtures so kids could march in the > > parade - I think they agreed to this. > > > > Could be mistaken though... > > > GHFA don't get pressured by clubs, a club put up a > motion and then the clubs vote, show how much you > actually know about how this association is run, > the club have the say. Perhaps pressured was too strong a word - but either way the kids were scheduled to play and that decision was then reversed off the back of club feedback

logic
wrote on 25-Mar-15 10:02

In the words of a genuine aussie....old bobby hawke.... anyone who voted to play football on the 100th anniversary of the anzac landing is a bum!!!! Name and shame those clubs that voted!!!

kiwi
wrote on 25-Mar-15 11:04

Obviously majority did so blame your own clubs

Wuuzies
wrote on 25-Mar-15 11:07

come on fellas -where's the ANZAC fighting spirit.. all you care about is drinking the night before?

You don't understand
wrote on 25-Mar-15 13:04

All we care about is a dawn service, the RSL and enjoying a bit of rowdy two-up while having a cold one in hand. What reasonable person thinks that not an appropriate way to mark the day...

Don't play
wrote on 25-Mar-15 16:08

This is a democratic comp... Don't play if you are inclined that way.

I will be attending the dawn service, playing a bit of two up and representing my club on the day on the pitch.

Following that, I will be drinking myself into a coma...

What's stopping you guys from doing that?

Also, I was at that vote, and it was made clear that the league has only allowed 1 washout round, meaning if we didn't play that day, and there were washouts, we would be backing up Saturday's and Sunday's, and the same muppets would be complaining that their weekend was being taken away by football and they couldn't go out drinking Saturday night.

Become your clubs representative, go and vote for your own opinion.

If you are happy for someone else to do the hard work of attending meetings, etc, then be happy with their decisions, votes, etc...

The bloke calling for naming and shaming deserves a slap in the head for being a dumb c$@t.

Juice
wrote on 25-Mar-15 17:02

I remember a season when we had a double header for Anzac day as it was a long weekend - game Saturday, then on the Monday which was actually Anzac day. Imagine all the whinging from a select few if that were the case now. Move on lads

Finally someone talking sense
wrote on 25-Mar-15 18:07

Don't play Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This is a democratic comp... Don't play if you are > inclined that way. > > I will be attending the dawn service, playing a > bit of two up and representing my club on the day > on the pitch. > > Following that, I will be drinking myself into a > coma... > > What's stopping you guys from doing that? > > Also, I was at that vote, and it was made clear > that the league has only allowed 1 washout round, > meaning if we didn't play that day, and there were > washouts, we would be backing up Saturday's and > Sunday's, and the same muppets would be > complaining that their weekend was being taken > away by football and they couldn't go out drinking > Saturday night. > > Become your clubs representative, go and vote for > your own opinion. > > If you are happy for someone else to do the hard > work of attending meetings, etc, then be happy > with their decisions, votes, etc... > > The bloke calling for naming and shaming deserves > a slap in the head for being a dumb c$@t. COULD NOT AGREE MORE!

Dawn Fraser
wrote on 26-Mar-15 15:07

You don't understand Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > All we care about is a dawn service, the RSL and > enjoying a bit of rowdy two-up while having a cold > one in hand. What reasonable person thinks that > not an appropriate way to mark the day... Your game don;t start till 1pm - so you could squeeze in the DAWn service plus a slab & a couple of 2ups..

logic
wrote on 26-Mar-15 22:00

Finally someone talking sense Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't play Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
This is a democratic comp... Don't play if you
> are
> >
inclined that way.
> >

> >
I will be attending the dawn service, playing a
> >
bit of two up and representing my club on the
> day
> >
on the pitch.
> >

> >
Following that, I will be drinking myself into
> a
> >
coma...
> >

> >
What's stopping you guys from doing that?
> >

> >
Also, I was at that vote, and it was made clear
> >
that the league has only allowed 1 washout
> round,
> >
meaning if we didn't play that day, and there
> were
> >
washouts, we would be backing up Saturday's and
> >
Sunday's, and the same muppets would be
> >
complaining that their weekend was being taken
> >
away by football and they couldn't go out
> drinking
> >
Saturday night.
> >

> >
Become your clubs representative, go and vote
> for
> >
your own opinion.
> >

> >
If you are happy for someone else to do the
> hard
> >
work of attending meetings, etc, then be happy
> >
with their decisions, votes, etc...
> >

> >
The bloke calling for naming and shaming
> deserves
> >
a slap in the head for being a dumb c$@t.
>
> COULD NOT AGREE MORE!

You would you c%k smoker. Real men are rum and milking from after the dawn service. . Two upping from the opening....maybe even some columbian marching dust into the arvo... and arm in arm with their mates late late doors....enjoying the day...

Not sipping tea until 5pm. Then you have guys like dont play on here looking to pimp slap blokes.... dead set smoker.

Correction
wrote on 27-Mar-15 08:06

logic Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > You would you c%÷k smoker. Real men are rum and > milking from after the dawn service. . Two upping > from the opening....maybe even some columbian > marching dust into the arvo... and arm in arm with > their mates late late doors....enjoying the day... > > > > Not sipping tea until 5pm. Then you have guys like > dont play on here looking to pimp slap blokes.... > dead set smoker. The real mean are the ones marching down the street, the ones that can't be here as they are serving our country overseas and the ones that can't be here because they have given their life for this country. Not drunken druggos...

rex
wrote on 27-Mar-15 15:07

Hey hey at least let me bait my hook!

Author:
Subject: