CoC

Views: 557 Posts: 6
Recollections
wrote on 23-Oct-14 21:08

This is for the trains potters amongst us. I am curious as to the teams who have made CoC semis and lost. We are clear on this site as to teams who have made the final. I am particularly interested in NER of 2002 and Gladesville RSL of the late 1990's. I grew up on epic games played by YMCA including an extra time semi against Liverpool Albion in 1986 and a penalty shootout in 1988 against Pittwater RSL. I also watched Epping Eastwood sneak past Dundas in 94. Any additional info about scores and opposition would be good.

Hally
wrote on 24-Oct-14 08:03

NER lost to All Saints Oatley in the semi final in 2002.
Game was played at Cromer Park in similar to last weeks weather conditions (bloody hot!!). I think the score was 4-2. All Saints were beaten by Brookvale the week after in the Final.
All Saints had a guy by the name of Darren Burgess playing for them ( standard sort of player - nothing special). He ended up as the Performance Coach at Liverpool and is now doing the same role at Port Adelaide after finishing the AFL Recruit series that was recently on Fox.

I also watched the YMCA / Liverpool Albion game in 1986 in which I can recall the late Andy Ferris being a fairly key part of that game.

After watching many COC Finals over the years I would have to say Brookvale would have to have been one of the strongest Amateur teams throughout the 2000's.The Manly comp has had COC winners in Wakehurst, Brookvale and more recently Pittwater throughout this time.

I will say that the showing from GHFA over the last few years has been very consistent which is great.

wph
wrote on 24-Oct-14 09:09

In 2004 WPH lost the semi to eventual winners Dunbar (also won it this year). WPH were up 1-0 for most of the game and ended up losing 2-1 to a 30 yard belter.

Recollections
wrote on 24-Oct-14 10:01

Thanks Hally. Do you know anything about Gladesville's progress in 97 and 99? Liverpool Albion are now defunct. Great club that won many Robertson Cups and Premierships in Southern Districts. They also spent some time in Federation in the early 1980's. They wore green and yellow stripes, green shorts and socks. They played at Stanwell Park, Ashcroft, the ground the YMCA played the Amateur Cup Final in 1987. I was 15 at the time and I remember hearing mini-bikes raging through the bush behind the ground. A powerful signifier for working class Sydney if I ever heard one. In 1995 I watched a Amateur Cup semi at Hoxton Park not far from Stanwell Park. Kissing Point played East Bankstown. Kissing Point had knocked the mighty EEW out in the quarter final at Campbell Park in a very tough game. Kissing Point tanked it. East Bankstown ably led by Norm Boardman - coach of WSW women- who was much closer to 40 than 30 won the day. Declan of Northbridge played for Kissing Point at this time. Once again I think I heard plenty of two stroke engines that afternoon. Kissing Point are another great club. They have made many finals and semis of CoC over the years. Their side in the '80's was very tough and finished their final against the Y with eight men. Their 90's reinvention was more skilful. As a junior I played them in the Robertson Cup at Berowra Oval. We lost 0-2 and did not touch the ball. We should have lost 0-10.

Juice
wrote on 25-Oct-14 11:03

wph Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In 2004 WPH lost the semi to eventual winners > Dunbar (also won it this year). WPH were up 1-0 > for most of the game and ended up losing 2-1 to a > 30 yard belter. No it was all saints oatley that year and it was a 20yard side volley top left corner. 1/2 the team was still hung over from Gav Thomas' bucks night the night before. Boz missed a sitter 5 yard head from the kick off after a cracking run and pin point cross from Tim Hill to begin the game.

Juice
wrote on 25-Oct-14 11:06

Normo lost the final in 03 to brook vale, rav lost to pittwater in the final in 11 and ken lost in the final to pittwater in 12.

Author:
Subject: