Synthetic Pitch

Views: 18851 Posts: 83
Mr SYnc
wrote on 21-Jul-11 11:01

>Bucks said it would cost $600,000 to implement

600k would be a bargain. The one at Northbridge cost a million quids.

on the contrary they spent 500k at pymble to dig up a whole pitch, drainage and replanted completely. result - no grass for this new season. apparently wrong type of grass...or maybe this winter 's been too cold.

Groundsman Willy
wrote on 21-Jul-11 11:03

Why can't we (or rather GHFA) organise a synthetic pitch. I am not having a go at them. I am bringiong it up for discussion. Some other associations have them etc Kuringai and they would really make a difference to our association.

Bucks said it would cost $600,000 to implement. How many clubs do we have in GHFA ? Could we not get each to put in a bit and then get a major sponsor with naming rights ? And I am not talking Jim's accounting or mowing or whathever he does.

Is it viable ?

Jim RFC
wrote on 21-Jul-11 11:08

Don't you want my sponsorship....?

Bucks
wrote on 21-Jul-11 12:04

If you Tiger Turfed Christie Park, games could be on there every week regardless of the weather.

Plus we may have completed the GHFA "pre season" Cup before the season actually finishes.

I'm sure GHFA could also rent it out to schools and mac uni during the days mid week to help recoup the costs.

It's expensive initially, but would be worth it in the end.

Brick pit
wrote on 21-Jul-11 12:07

I suggested we put it at the brick pit at penno instead of the driving range! There is heaps of space ther for it

GB
wrote on 21-Jul-11 12:08

Bucks,

Where are you goalscorers for the w/e?

THE ROCK
wrote on 21-Jul-11 14:09

How does the synthetic pitch go with heavy rain?

just brush it off and it's all good or what?

Pitchman
wrote on 21-Jul-11 15:09

It's fine unless the heavy rain causes the pitch to bubble, pockets of air get under the pitch! Becomes dangerous then, but rarely happens

Hally
wrote on 21-Jul-11 16:05

The Northbridge pitch actually cost $1,300,000 from start to finish.

The pitch is also used for their State League, youth league and Womens State league teams, not leaving a lot of space for Kuringai games to be played on it.

Christie Park would be the perfect location as it is football only, Nothbridge had to also cater for the cricketers, there is an actual pitch underneath the synthetic turf in the middle of the field. I cannot imagine the heat on a Saturday afternoon with whites on and the sun glare coming off the synthetic!!

I have also discussed the pitch with some of the Northbridge players who say it is great to train on but too hot to play on and too hard on your ankles to play on consistently.

They use them at the AIS and have to put the kids ankles in ice to cool them down outside of the Winter months.

A shitload of money for sponsors to come up with.

THE ROCK
wrote on 21-Jul-11 16:08

Is Christie private or council?

GHFA could add a "tax" to rego's across to board and i'm sure people are happy to pay a bit extra if they get use of it.

Sutherland(who also have a synthetic pitch) also has a summer comp going to try and offset the cost of the pitch. I would imagine the if there was a summer comp on christie that would also add a fair amount of $$$.

What would the return on investment be? 5 years?

Revenue Raiser
wrote on 21-Jul-11 16:08

I'd suggest they open up the canteen for GHFA Cup games for a start then!

And think about how much money the GHFA saves by giving everyone the same shitty medals each year.

Not even the year engaved on them!

Hally
wrote on 21-Jul-11 16:09

You need to take into account in needs to be resurfaced every 7 years

Juice
wrote on 21-Jul-11 16:09

plus I'd imagine the cricket kicked in with some cash for Northbridge. Christie being only football would have to fit the whole bill in addition to sponsorship/council/association/football NSW.

old penno
wrote on 21-Jul-11 17:01

Rock - it would only be fair to TAX PL and perhaps SL teams, as who else would get a run on it? We (35/1) only got 3 home games this season .... cant see the synthetic pitch being open to all teams - hence you cant TAX the AA/18s or 11/4s for example, as they wouldn't get near it.

The Regos are already too dear as we pay the governing bodies levies and Insurance keeps going up (those with kids will know what I am on about). My mates that are still running around playing Rugby, pay less than half of which I do; same goes for their kids.

Jim RFC
wrote on 21-Jul-11 17:03

Christie is council owned...

Young Penno
wrote on 21-Jul-11 18:00

BUt why wouldn't the over 35's play on it JM ? The kids would play on it in the morning and and PL or SL in the afternoon and old buffers the next day.
In fact there is your perfect place for Match of the Day played under lights.
You build it on teh outside pitch at Christie so that the Spirit can train onit instead of ruining the main pitch. Keeps the grass on that one.

easy
wrote on 21-Jul-11 18:09

Ask Westfield Ltd for a grant.. a hand out

THE ROCK
wrote on 21-Jul-11 20:05

old penno - I can't see why not. The purpose of having a synthetic pitch is that you can abuse it all day long and it's all good.

You can even get 2 PL/SL fixtures on it each week if you need to(start one at normal time and one under lights)?

Catch up games can all be played on it too..(mid week/sat/sun)

MIddy Penno
wrote on 21-Jul-11 20:07

The thing with the synth turf is you can play 8 games on it a day & the 'grass' is unruffled.

I bet EEW will thrive on the Tiger Turf.

Buds
wrote on 22-Jul-11 09:09

I know GHFA are looking into this and have been getting quotes..I think its about $700K..

Flipper
wrote on 22-Jul-11 10:07

I believe the transformation of Cromer Park to a synthetic pitch will be fully funded by Warringah Council at a cost of approx $1.3M

http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/council_then/documents/20100323104.pdf

THE ROCK
wrote on 22-Jul-11 10:08

Does anyone know if the councils would pay a portion as it's officially council property?

Mary
wrote on 22-Jul-11 13:03

GHFA have been lookin into this for a few years now. But I would say that the rep teams would be using it every second week.

Joe
wrote on 10-Mar-15 11:02

KDSA - 4 Full Size Synthetic Fields with another 3 on the way ( Friday night games )

MWFA - 4 Full Size Synthetic Fields Plus 5-A-SIDE COURTS ( Friday night games )

BDSFA - 2 Full Size Synthetic Fields ( Friday night games ) Plus FNSW x 3

Shirefootball - 1 Full Size Synthetic Fields Plus 5-A-SIDE COURTS

GHFA - Nil

Fruit
wrote on 10-Mar-15 17:05

Penno - ready for 2017

kiwi
wrote on 11-Mar-15 15:02

What and all the pot holes and sprinkler heads are okay

Concern
wrote on 11-Mar-15 15:09

I think synthetic pitches are good and obviously great for the reduction in maintaining the field However thier have been many studies which have seen significant rises of serious soft tissue injuries eg acl tears for example due the use of a synthetic pitch I think it's great to use these pitches but as ametuer players and the increase risk of serious injury is very concerning

Fruit Friend
wrote on 11-Mar-15 16:00

Fruit Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Penno - ready for 2017 The same year you turn 50.

Bants
wrote on 12-Mar-15 08:05

We need an o35's tab so you can both get on that.

Fruit
wrote on 12-Mar-15 08:07

No Gio, I will turn 49 that year if I am still alive. Odds are $3.70 that I dont make it - get on that!

Ghfa
wrote on 23-Mar-15 09:05

Ghfa needs a new pitch for all conditions to keep up with other acciations

ymca
wrote on 23-Mar-15 20:06

There is a artificial pitch going down @ the Y in the off season of 2015.

good times
wrote on 29-Jun-15 13:05

Better order that pitch GHFA.

I see the Men's NPL2 team are 9 in front.. Need a better pitch on show if NPL1 is just around the corner..

kiwi
wrote on 29-Jun-15 13:09

club championship is what gives you promotion.
1st 20s 18s.
they just need to lift there game in 20s and 18s

Mr James
wrote on 29-Jun-15 15:01

How is your team going kiwi and how many players have you kept or released from ghfa?

Old timer.
wrote on 29-Jun-15 15:05

Manly Warringah FA is the gold standard for organising facility improvements. They started funding the improvements at Cromer Park some 10yrs ago with a 900 seat grand stand, three years ago the council funded the synthetic pitch. Additional around ground seating, a new carpark and an extra field has also been added recently, all at council's expense. A second synthetic turf pitch is also to be installed soon.

To begin the process at MWFA headquarters, $250k of the association's own money together with a borrowed $250k from Football NSW was used to build the grand stand. To pay off the $250k Football NSW loan they put a $10 levee on every player's rego. With players numbering 12500 men and women they were collecting $125k a year. The Cromer grand stand was paid off in two seasons.

They still to this day collect the $10 levee, with registration numbers at about 16500 they now collect $165K. With that pool of money each year they fund upgrades to lighting or other capital works facilities. It is done on a dollar for dollar basis with the local councils. Club's are often in a position to inject funds as well.

Lighting is expensive, to achieve the approved playing levels of 100 Lux each pole costs about $45K to install. The clubs have to do the footwork to organise with council and get approvals in place, MWFA just writes the cheque. By the end of 2015 about 30 field have had lighting upgrades. Some clubs make application for building works as well. MWFA currently has cash reserves of $1.5M.

For further reference re how MWFA reports it's yearly operations see last years very informative annual report, perhaps another standard GHFA could use as a measure.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC4QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mwfa.com.au%2Fdownload.php%3Ffile%3Dwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F02%2FMWFA-Annual-Report-2014_Final.pdf&ei=bdyQVcz0Os6A8QXqtZ74Ag&usg=AFQjCNGOCXyfraa1nAnrIytj3J1NDh6AeA&sig2=XyxIAVroc-l-XgvEL6jV3Q&bvm=bv.96783405,d.dGc

My take on GHFA is that it has been poorly managed at a number of levels for a long time. The fact the women and men are still separate organisations is a part testimony to that conclusion. MWFA men/women are combined and operates efficiently because of it. Their dealings with council together with their financial strength is at the peak level it should be for football within the district, the fact football playing numbers are so enormous places a commensurate level of pressure on councils. The three councils of Pittwater/Manly/Warringah are all cognisant of MWFA's huge size and the opportunity to engage with the voters via the largest sport on the northern beaches peninsular.

As it stands GHFA by comparison to MWFA has achieved very little since the day Christie was established some 25-30 yrs ago. That's a long time to rest upon your laurels.

Old Timer
wrote on 29-Jun-15 16:00

Re reading that would be "grandstand".

THe Boulder
wrote on 29-Jun-15 16:02

so why is it that the lady & mens comp are separate in the GHFA??
is there any historical reasons?

Get it moving
wrote on 29-Jun-15 16:08

Super post old timer..

It's never to late to turn the "lights" on a christie park..

Old Timer
wrote on 29-Jun-15 16:09

I'm not sure of the reason but clearly there were defective short sighted personalities on both sides at play.
Other old timers no doubt have a more assured reasoning than my pointing to the bleeding obvious.

Super stuff
wrote on 30-Jun-15 17:01

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/the-hills/pennant-hills-football-club-welcomes-first-synthetic-pitch-at-pennant-hills-oval/story-fngr8j1q-1227422020475

Test
wrote on 30-Jun-15 18:01

How much in the club coffers at kenthurst stevie?? As a life member you'd know.. Please reply..

Stevie_B
wrote on 30-Jun-15 18:05

It would be irresponsible for me to answer such a question on a public stage such as this. All i can say is there is enough to get the councils interested in mutually investing in a synthetic pitch which will allow us to play football all year round including summer 6 a side which has always been a big money maker for the club.

Stevie_B
wrote on 30-Jun-15 18:08

This is a true milestone for the GHFA and for Penannt Hills. Whoever made this happen should be congratulated! Let's hope this sets a precidence for the rest of the association to follow suit, in particular KP2 and Christie Park! Well done to All...

Stevie_B
wrote on 30-Jun-15 19:04

is this not a public forum? it the whole purpose of a public forum to freely and openly speak your mind?

You might not like what i have to say, but the only person actually answering the presented points which i make is Juice. Everyone else just tries to bad mouth, there is not even enough brain power to attempt to discredit me. I am finding this forum thing to be quite funny!

As an educated adult, I don't consider speaking about clubs financial position appriopriate in the public arena.

Thanks mr ZZZZ or is this you Fungus?

zzzzz
wrote on 30-Jun-15 19:05

As apposed to irresponsibly airing your views on a public forum... pretender

zzzzz
wrote on 30-Jun-15 19:07

for the teachers ^opposed

Wombats
wrote on 30-Jun-15 20:01

How was training last night stevie...

Intheknow
wrote on 30-Jun-15 20:02

Mate nobody said u were still running around so u can keep ur straws... No need to come out and name urself u did that a while ago... Ur info is very skewiff...

Juice
wrote on 30-Jun-15 20:04

... And I still am awaiting that contact Stevie_b ;)

Stevie_B
wrote on 30-Jun-15 20:05

Juice, it will come at the end of the season. I want to see how Sir Luke works out before i come out of the cave.

Jimmy Mc who is currently injured is another great kenthurdt res who should have played regular first grade, along with Matt Ward.

It seems like anyone who is genuinely a good bloke and doesn't have an ego to upset king ding-a-ling, gets put in res and never gets looked at for a regular 1st team spot. No matter how many times the world is promised to them at the beginning of each season.

You are really clutching at straws if you think i'm still running around the training park. Haven't done that for some time...

Realist...
wrote on 30-Jun-15 20:06

100% correct it is a public forum... Also ur very chirpy after a Monday night which is what I find most interesting... Perhaps ur mail gets delivered weekly?? And juice is still waiting ur reply by the way... Stevie b putting a lot out there with zero substance... Peanut...

Leon
wrote on 30-Jun-15 20:08

SB Did you rate anyone in the KEN ressies teams of the past or were they just all shit dinosaurs that obviously couldn't match it with your son?

Batts an educated adult??
wrote on 01-Jul-15 08:01

Stevie_B Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > is this not a public forum? it the whole purpose > of a public forum to freely and openly speak your > mind? > > You might not like what i have to say, but the > only person actually answering the presented > points which i make is Juice. Everyone else just > tries to bad mouth, there is not even enough brain > power to attempt to discredit me. I am finding > this forum thing to be quite funny! > > As an educated adult, I don't consider speaking > about clubs financial position appriopriate in the > public arena. > > Thanks mr ZZZZ or is this you Fungus? You are the one trying to discredit everyone, Batts, and failing miserably. And trying to pass yourself off as an "educated adult", is that "appriopriate" (sic)?

Normo reject
wrote on 01-Jul-15 08:04

Stevie_B Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Jimmy Mc who is currently injured is another great > kenthurdt res who should have played regular first > grade, along with Matt Ward. Is Jimmy Mc not one of those Normo rejects you were talking about on another thread? Now you talking him up, you muppet go back to your cave.

Stevie_B
wrote on 01-Jul-15 09:07

Normo reject Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Stevie_B Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Jimmy Mc who is currently injured is another > great > > kenthurdt res who should have played regular > first > > grade, along with Matt Ward. > > Is Jimmy Mc not one of those Normo rejects you > were talking about on another thread? Now you > talking him up, you muppet go back to your cave. I was actually referring to andrew G or goldie.

Only one dinosaur
wrote on 01-Jul-15 10:01

Stevie_B Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> Normo reject Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
Stevie_B Wrote:

> >

> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
-----
> >
> Jimmy Mc who is currently injured is another
> >
great
> >
> kenthurdt res who should have played regular
> >
first
> >
> grade, along with Matt Ward.
> >

> >
Is Jimmy Mc not one of those Normo rejects you
> >
were talking about on another thread? Now you
> >
talking him up, you muppet go back to your
> cave.
>
> I was actually referring to andrew G or goldie.

Funny you know so much about Normanhurst, Batts, but yet you claim not to know who Batts is :)

Another normo reject
wrote on 01-Jul-15 12:05

What about NG, another normo reject?

???
wrote on 01-Jul-15 17:04

Heard that YMCA is getting a synthetic pitch for next season.. or possibly season after, can anyone confirm?

Morrison
wrote on 02-Jul-15 22:08

All of Morrison bay ovals are being done 2026

TG
wrote on 03-Jul-15 09:07

Little chance of Cristie park going synthetic,not when they advertised for a new GM to take over from Kay @ $100,grand a year.I think Kay should reapply she was on $400.00 a week.

insider
wrote on 03-Jul-15 19:04

$400/w, who would get out of bed and cop the crap she has for that? if you pay $100k, imagine what you can do!

snakehead
wrote on 03-Jul-15 20:04

100K when the association is getting smaller next year..? i don't believe this - show me the job ad

Seek.com
wrote on 04-Jul-15 21:03

TG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> Little chance of Cristie park going synthetic,not
> when they advertised for a new GM to take over
> from Kay @ $100,grand a year.I think Kay should
> reapply she was on $400.00 a week.

If you check the Annual Report of GHFA I think Kay was on a bit more than 80K a year and Nicole over 30K. A bit more than more then $400 per week quoted.

My understanding is if Christie goes synthetic it will be used by GHFA, Spirit, North West Womans and potentially Ravens woman's sides. Not sure how many of any of the GHFA clubs will get to use it. Further if there is a Hills Association, how many of them will want to contribute to a synthetic pitch at Christie.

On track
wrote on 04-Jul-15 23:02

GHFA Spirit, Ryde Magic, Ravens (women's state league) and Koalas put in a combined submission earlier this year to Ryde council for Christie centre of excellence, which includes synthetic pitches. All 4 plus council will contribute. It was written up in the local paper. I think council approved the concept and set a timetable for detailed plans with the aim being going ahead. FNSW support it too

Y
wrote on 09-Jul-15 12:04

Re: Pitch at the Y

Can confirm it is going ahead. As always when govt and council are concerned it looks to be delayed however. Was scheduled to begin Aug/Sept but may be running behind schedule a few months. Had originally been planned to be completed by the start of the 2016 season.

DNA42
wrote on 11-Nov-15 13:07

Council knocks back synthetic turf at ELS Hall......(Page 13 Weekly Times) http://www.weeklytimes.com.au/flip-book/#13

Wrong location
wrote on 14-Nov-15 21:00

Synthetic turf should be used on ovals that don't impact other sports that co-use those facilities. That's why Pennant Hills Oval and Christie are good choices. Using this logic, the bottom oval at Eastwood would be a better option than ELS Hall. Demanding that your oval moves to a playing surface other existing sports cant play on is arrogant.

In agreement
wrote on 15-Nov-15 09:03

Have to agree with wrong location. I play prems and local cricket, and in against the els syno field because the cricket association will lose another turf wicket. I'm all for artificial fields for ghfa but not when it impacts on other sports!

Blackman
wrote on 15-Nov-15 19:07

I believe a ground in the KDSA, Blackman in lane cove has artificial turf for all sports. there are lines marked for AFL and soccer and also a cricket pitch, not sure how good it is but could be an option for grounds with out a turf pitch. I think the best places for artificial turf would be. Boronia, Christie, one or two at meadowbank. Eastwood. With so much money that councils have received over the last year surely they can invest in a couple of pitches.

wrote on 16-Nov-15 14:06

I didn't think they played cricket on ELS soccer oval.

Simon
wrote on 16-Nov-15 15:08

Thats why city of Ryde was to turf ELS as it is a multi purpose field.

Mayor Quimby
wrote on 18-Dec-15 10:01

http://www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/Council/Media-Centre/News-and-Public-Notices/Council-votes-for-Synthetic-Turf-to-ease-soaring-demand-for-Sporting-Fields

Clr
wrote on 18-Dec-15 13:05

I spotted Christie from the air on a recent trip interstate, it seriously looked like a goat track... A welcomed decision... Looks like the council amalgamations are resulting in favourable decisions for the community.. Spending up before they go...

Pr0pKing
wrote on 21-Dec-15 22:02

Clr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I spotted Christie from the air on a recent trip > interstate, it seriously looked like a goat > track... A welcomed decision... > > Looks like the council amalgamations are resulting > in favourable decisions for the community.. > Spending up before they go... Council amalgamation is a joke.. Only 1 party will profit - the property kings and developers

Tigerrr
wrote on 13-Jan-16 13:00

Just been reading in the local paper that Ryde Council has approved synthetic turf at ELS Hall and Cristie 1&2.

THE ROCK
wrote on 20-Jan-16 15:03

Just spoke to a civil contractor and there is a tender out now for Boronia Park redevelopment... Guess what - Synthetic Pitch!

Insider
wrote on 20-Jan-16 17:07

That has been discussed for at least the last 12 months there now at tiger town, probably due to the amount of money council spend each year trying to get it back up to speed ready for the winter mud pit to rear it head every football season. it makes a lot of sense utilising fields where possible to place a synthetic field if it is cost effective and Boronia is one of those basket cases. Harold West at Roslea or even a place like Thornleigh would benefit from a artifical pitch.

Good Idea
wrote on 20-Jan-16 19:05

they amount of money councils are getting these days they should be trying to build a couple a year. Peel park would be another place for an artificial pitch. maybe one or two at Meadow bank. I think they are developing a massive sports field in Thornleigh similar to pennant hills. Read it somewhere recently.

kiwi
wrote on 20-Jan-16 20:04

With the amount of units that will be flying up in epping over the next 2yrs Council will be reaping millions by the bucket loads. So they should be repaying there constituents.

Frank Prichard
wrote on 21-Jan-16 14:04

https://www.tenderlink.com/parracity/?&tenderer=2744.208&tenderdetails=2659.429325&checksum=21161548748343 The works include the following significant features: Construction of a new footpath, a main central reinforced concrete footpath (550 metres in length) and additional concrete access pathways (140 meters in length); Areas of coloured concrete pavement (110m2 ) and brick paving (175m2 ) New electric BBQ (1 only); New bubblers and taps; Park Furniture, including bins, seats, tables and shelters; New picnic area; Upgraded play equipment and new playground; Landscaping work including ground regarding, turf and planting; New pedestrian path lighting and associated electrical work. A final decision will not be made regarding this Tender until end of December 2015, with works to commence in February 2016. DOES THIE MEAN NO FOOTBALL FOR EEW AT BORONIA THIS YEAR?

Themadness
wrote on 21-Jan-16 16:06

They better not touch the smak shak... It's a heritage item..

Drake
wrote on 16-Feb-16 08:02

Ryde Council synthetic turf plan was announced just prior to Christmas and covers the period 2016 through 2026. The basic plan at this point is as follows: Christie Park Fields 1 and 2 ELS Hall Field 1 Meadowbank Fields 2 and 3 Magdala Park Council is to put Christie Park and ELS Hall to tender in 2016, with awarding of construction to be completed in 2016. (Details of the above are from Minutes of the Works and Community Committee No. 16/15 dated 15 December 2015)

Author:
Subject: