Tipping Comp

Views: 9441 Posts: 39
Admin
wrote on 21-Mar-06 14:08

Ben Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Admin, > > Any chance of setting up a tipping comp at short > notice. Pick the winner and the margins?? Edwa had some ideas how this could work late last year, what were they?; any other ideas welcome; are you suggesting there be some sort of a prize at the end and if so how / who would fund / administer etc

Ben
wrote on 21-Mar-06 14:09

Admin, Any chance of setting up a tipping comp at short notice. Pick the winner and the margins??

wrote on 21-Mar-06 15:09

I'd half-written some stuff towards implementing it, but then real work intervened. I had planned that users could register, upload their own tips, and an administrator would login on Sun/Mon and enter the actual results. The system would automatically update the tipsters tallies and keep track of the ladder. As I said, though, I just ran out of time... At this late point, I would probably just do it in a spreadsheet, and calculate the tallies manually (you probably only have a dozen or so punters). Each week you could then update a static standings page that you could host on this site. Happy to help out with the implementation if you want. -- Edwa

Ranger
wrote on 21-Mar-06 16:01

I'll give you all a hot tip. NER for the title in 06!

blinky
wrote on 21-Mar-06 16:01

i could give you a tipping comp. web application but it is written in CFMX... but you guys are all php/mySQL geeks.

Admin
wrote on 21-Mar-06 16:04

Maybe we can first see how much interest there is

BAtts
wrote on 21-Mar-06 17:01

I'm in Admin. I need to make a few bucks somehow. Might even throw a game or 2 if need be.

blinky
wrote on 21-Mar-06 17:02

have u made enough in europe?

Juice
wrote on 21-Mar-06 17:08

I'm in... I could definitely throw a game... some even believe I have, but really I've just plain stuffed up on numerous occasions... NER and STA last season... absolute howlers :-)

blanky
wrote on 21-Mar-06 20:08

we all knew you went to the pub across the road at Eastwood... and something changed hands thereafter.

Ben
wrote on 21-Mar-06 21:01

What about the time you kicked the ball into Wa's back against EEW and the time you dropped a sitter against Putney. How easily you forget.

DAMIEN
wrote on 21-Mar-06 22:05

sounds good. just as long as reminders are emailed, then i am sure it will work.

blinky
wrote on 21-Mar-06 22:06

don't need reminders - teams picked by default are the home teams if u don't remember on any particular week

Juice
wrote on 21-Mar-06 22:07

Ah yes all memories... I've never had one dropped and then go through the legs though... could be the season. Add to that I haven't had the misfortune of my reserve grade companions of being scored against directly off the kick off. I wonder if that's happened to any other GK in the league's history, especially from the same club????

LiamW
wrote on 22-Mar-06 08:00

Juice Being a Liverpool fan you can emulate your idol grobelaar he threw a few games in his time!!! I will go in the tipping comp too. Wa I was going to suggest another thing to you. Magilla brought it up in an earlier post about a GHFA player of the year. They do it in the MWFA after every game the coach of every team gives 3,2,1 score for the opposition. Could we make it happen and if the unofficial GHFA premier league forum player of the year?

Ben
wrote on 22-Mar-06 10:02

Correct - He has not been seen since.

Ben
wrote on 22-Mar-06 10:05

Juice, i think it was first grade!!!! It was Batts v Munari. I think he started first grade that game...

wrote on 22-Mar-06 10:06

LiamW Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was going to suggest another thing to you. > Magilla brought it up in an earlier post about a > GHFA player of the year. They do it in the MWFA > after every game the coach of every team gives > 3,2,1 score for the opposition. > > Could we make it happen and if the unofficial GHFA > premier league forum player of the year? A fine idea, but the catch is that it will only work if *all* coaches do it, every week. I am happy to run the database behind it, if someone else coordinates with the coaches to make sure they send me the 3,2,1 points. -- Edwa

Fool on the Hill
wrote on 22-Mar-06 10:07

Hahaha even funnier. Heard a rumour last night that Leo (Normo's ex super striker) is still training with the squad with DOK's blessing. What does that tell you ???? Can anyone confirm this rumour ??

Fool on the Hill
wrote on 22-Mar-06 10:09

Didn't he then punch the post in frustration/embarrassment and break his hand ?? Very funny.

Gordy
wrote on 22-Mar-06 11:00

Ummmmm.......... who cares?

Input
wrote on 22-Mar-06 11:01

Can't see the coaches voting thing working fairly. It'd just be won by a stand-out player in a poor team.

DAMIEN
wrote on 22-Mar-06 11:03

edwardaux Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > LiamW Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I was going to suggest another thing to you. > > Magilla brought it up in an earlier post > about a > > GHFA player of the year. They do it in the > MWFA > > after every game the coach of every team > gives > > 3,2,1 score for the opposition. > > > > Could we make it happen and if the unofficial > GHFA > > premier league forum player of the year? > > A fine idea, but the catch is that it will only > work if *all* coaches do it, every week. I am > happy to run the database behind it, if someone > else coordinates with the coaches to make sure > they send me the 3,2,1 points. > > -- > Edwa I think u should make it as simple as possible, otherwise it could just fall on its ass. Pick the winner of each game and pick the score of one game per week (or all, but thats more work)

Batts
wrote on 22-Mar-06 11:04

why dont we have a massive awards night at the end of the season when we annouce the ressies and first grade player of the year, plus striker of the year, defender.... and we coul have a "long service" award and a "playing for much longer than i should" award. do i hear the words "shoe in" being whispered? dont disturb, working on my speech....... NER top 2!!!!

wrote on 22-Mar-06 11:04

DAMIEN wrote: > I think u should make it as simple as possible, > otherwise it could just fall on its ass. I was presuming that the player of the year tally that Liam suggested was a separate deal from the tipping comp. As I said though, it would only be of value if all coaches submitted their tally every week. Whereas for the tipping comp, if the punters don't submit their tips, they just get 0 points. Easy! -- Edwa

DAMIEN
wrote on 22-Mar-06 11:09

Well, i am sure the thunder coaches will be in on the idea?? and if they arent, i can provide u with the info everyweek batts, arent u dead yet?

DAMIEN
wrote on 22-Mar-06 11:09

Fool on the Hill Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hahaha even funnier. > > Heard a rumour last night that Leo (Normo's ex > super striker) is still training with the squad > with DOK's blessing. What does that tell you ???? > > Can anyone confirm this rumour ?? I think it tells me that this has nothing to do with the tipping comp

phantom
wrote on 22-Mar-06 12:02

Fool on the hill You are correct! he even played against thornleigh on the weekend in the ressies team. He isnt in the squad though... He goes O/S in four weeks so whats the point of having him if he plays the first three weeks and thats it. So there you go you have been told.... Your name now fits...

fool-down-the-hill
wrote on 22-Mar-06 13:05

Leo's scored a big contract with Udinese ... who's the fool now

Magilla
wrote on 22-Mar-06 13:07

As Liam mentioned I am obviously for the idea, so consider STA in... As for previous post that the award could be won by the best player in a poor team, so what... And which poor team are you talking about. I think any team can beat any team on there day... I am sure even PEN will be beaten this year. For my mind one of the favourites for Firsts player of the season would be Kurt, and he plays for the favourites (not one likely to battle for relegation)... If you are a good player playing for a team that is likely to battle out for relegation, and you are a clear stand out, then why should you not win the award. Some players after all like to play with mates, so why should they be penalised. I hear this weekend Kuringhai are putting out an all stars team. Perhaps the highest ranked players in each position can form the GHFA all star team and play this Kuringhai team at the end of the season. Presentation night sounds like a good idea Batts. You can bring your walking cane, and I can wear my gorilla suit, and we can take the piss out of all the young lads, that you have ran around with your deceptive pace, and I have chopped because I am too slow to keep up... Less than two weeks to go.

The Real Batts
wrote on 22-Mar-06 14:01

However good the idea is Mick, it was one of your woodies impersonating me again. God knows why they think NER will be a threat, but small things amuse small minds. Last year you had them focused and off the chat sites. It will be highly entertaining to many a club if after focusing more on mind(less) games they don't win. Oh and I don't have a walking cane. I think the correct terminology is 'space frame'.

The Real Real Batts
wrote on 22-Mar-06 14:05

bloody deflectors, its embarrasing. Anyway, it will all be sorted out on the pitch. Now if you dont mind i have republican meeting. God save the queen!!!

Phantom
wrote on 22-Mar-06 16:03

contract with Udinese. Ummmm ok yeh..

somebody
wrote on 22-Mar-06 17:03

somebody said Como in serieB

Tipping
wrote on 27-Mar-06 10:06

I moght be crazy here but if we are to get a tipping comp underway, it probably needs to be done this week before the start of the season. Is there anything being done at the moment?

Drop Inn
wrote on 27-Mar-06 15:04

How does this sound as a way run the tipping comp, allowing everyone to retain anonymity (if they want to): 1. open only to registered users (you can register anonymously under a discrete nickname and dont have to give your email address if you dont want to), however by registering there is some attempt at tipping efficacy 2. admin to establish an "official" tips thread for each week (eg Tips Week 1) and all tips to be lodged there 2. all tips to be in by 7.00pm Friday before game (dont want admin having to wait around too much, especially if Sats are busy) 3. to keep it simple, points be awarded as follows: Pick right result (win or draw) = 1 pt (for each correct game result) Pick right score = bonus 3 pts 4. admin to keep tabs and post running sheet each week

DAMIEN
wrote on 27-Mar-06 17:09

sounds good. ADMIN?????

admino
wrote on 27-Mar-06 19:01

must be a $ somewhere - lest some one wants to volunteer

Admin
wrote on 27-Mar-06 21:01

OK, we can give it a go as suggested by Drop Inn and see how much interest there is. Suggest we accept the entries under "Rnd 1 Tips" for this week but after that, to ensure no bogus entries, registration will be compulsory for participants. If anyone wants to sponsor leave a message. Decisions of admin to be final and no correspondence will be entered into.

Author:
Subject: