New Rules

Views: 2543 Posts: 12
Loiterer
wrote on 17-Mar-06 12:00

The following changes are taken from the world governing body FIFA, and are available to view in original format on the FIFA web-site www.fifa.com The International Football Association Board (IFAB), at their 119th Annual General Meeting, made the following decisions. The Board clarified the current offside rule by further defining the meaning of being "actively involved in play" and decided to impose stricter sanctions for any tackles deemed to be endangering the safety of an opponent. From now on, match officials must also show the red card to players who make dangerous tackles from the front or the side. Law 4 – Players Equipment SAFETY – ‘A player must not use equipment or wear anything that is dangerous to himself or another player (including any kind of jewellery)” This includes anti-discrimination bands, leather necklaces and any other loose wristbands. The taping of jewellery is no longer allowed (including earrings and wedding rings). Sweatbands may be worn Any player not complying with these regulations will not be allowed to play. Law 11 - Offside - was the subject of several proposals, and as a result, by introducing the new International F.A. Board Decision 2 for Law 11, the Board also clarified when a player is to be regarded as "actively involved in play": " Interfering with play means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team mate. "Interfering with an opponent means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent's line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent. "Gaining an advantage by being in an offside position means playing a ball that rebounds to him off a post or crossbar or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position. Moreover, the Board clarified the explanation of a player being offside "if he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent". As a result, the position of any part of the player's head, body or feet will be the deciding factor, and not the player's arms. Regarding Law 12 (Fouls and Misconduct), once a referee has terminated a match, he cannot change a decision. However, the referee has the authority to impose disciplinary sanctions from the moment he enters the field of play until he leaves the pitch after the final whistle. In relation to Law 15 (Throw-in), in future all opponents must be at least two metres from the thrower until the ball is in play.

Ben
wrote on 17-Mar-06 12:02

Yellow cards have also been increased to 4 before you miss a week. Good news for some..

Batts
wrote on 17-Mar-06 12:06

So if your wedding ring cannot come off your finger, you will not be allowed to play as you can't tape over it. Bloody hell. That will affect a few. Maybe that's why old crew left WPH Prems.Too much BLING !!!!!!!!! They think they will get away with this rule as they don't get many refs in All Age.

wrote on 17-Mar-06 12:09

Watching the Continental Cup the other night, I noticed that the linesman were delaying raising their flag for offside until the offending player actually touches it (and then that is where the free kick is awarded). A couple of thoughts: 1. It places the defending team at a severe disadvantage - consider the case where the defence plays the offside trap up near the center circle. An attacker is offside, but doesn't touch it until near the penalty sport. The defending team has now lost 30-40 metres - and they weren't even the offending team!! 2. Defenders will complain because they don't know if the attacker was offside until 40 yards downfield (and they've lost all that yardage in the bargain) 3. Attackers will complain because by the time they get to the ball, the formation of attackers/defenders will be *nothing* like it was when he was actually offside. Much easier for them to argue that they weren't offside - yes, I know it won't change the ref's decision, but then when has that ever stopped anyone from arguing? I reckon the refs/linesmen are going to cop a lot of flak this year if they continue to delay raising the flag for offside. Glad I am not one of them! -- Edwa

Big Nev
wrote on 17-Mar-06 14:03

We had referee's using the "new" offside rule in last years GF. It caused quite a bit of confusion with the opposition until the new rule was explained to them. Good luck to the ref's this year, i think they will cop a fair bit of crap over this one from uninformed people on the sidelines.

Spectator
wrote on 17-Mar-06 15:01

Especially when we get 14 year olds who are cowarding at the aggression and sometimes abuse that they are subjected to from grown men. They seldom even put their flag up when they understood the old offside rule for fear of abuse. We may as well have statues there this year. Although it is not their fault as most are clearly out of their comfort zone and depth.

wrote on 17-Mar-06 15:01

Batts said: > So if your wedding ring cannot come off your finger, you > will not be allowed to play as you can't tape over it. I just confirmed this on the GHFA referees forum. If you are unable to remove your wedding ring, you will not be able to enter the field. I pity the poor refs that have to explain that to players on match day. -- Edwa

Big Nev
wrote on 17-Mar-06 15:07

People have to realise that if they continue to verbally abuse young match officials, in a few years time there won’t be any around.Then teh same "people" will whinge about no ref’s at games. I certainly wouldn’t put up with some of the crap that I have heard from players, spectators and coaches in the last few years

Shanty
wrote on 17-Mar-06 15:07

Especially from Batts towards poor old Tony Ho....

pinky
wrote on 17-Mar-06 16:06

just wrapped the wedding ring with a sweat band to say you have extra sweaty hands. nervous.

Tony Ho
wrote on 17-Mar-06 17:01

"Play on you got him first !" Oh alright, its really Batts here

wrote on 20-Mar-06 10:01

I was just browsing the referees' forum (bored at work today) and noticed a clarification on how the new offside rule is interpreted. If there is only one player offside and they are attempting to go for the ball, the linesman should flag immediately. If there are two or more players going for the ball, and one is onside, then they should delay flagging until the ball is actually touched. If the offside player touches it first, then raise the flag. Otherwise, play on. Still a stupid rule, but I guess it is worth knowing how they plan on ruling. -- Edwa

Author:
Subject: