Of The Best

Views: 9025 Posts: 65
Best
wrote on 03-Jul-06 10:03

Now were at the business end of the season and we've all had our chances to see every team play at least once, who do you think is the strongest team GHFA could put forward. Goalkeepers? Defenders? Midfielders? Strikers?

Coach
wrote on 03-Jul-06 10:03

Dont forget best coach also

wrote on 03-Jul-06 11:04

best fabio style diving?

WPH
wrote on 03-Jul-06 11:05

Goalkeeper: Juice(WPH) Defenders: Gray(NOR), Masulans(STA), Turner(Nth Epp) Midfielders: Kurt(Pen), Dax(STA), Wallington(STA), Lawson(WPH) Strikers: Boz(Pen), Tarrent(Nth Epp), Luksic(STA)

Mystikal
wrote on 03-Jul-06 12:00

I'd put the Roselea striker way before Boz. Nothing personal but I think he's alot better in the air and other areas too.

jonsey
wrote on 03-Jul-06 12:01

no keeper comes close to oaksey from the y

delids3
wrote on 03-Jul-06 12:01

You're Joking! If you are talking about either of the two that played on saturday against eew then you are kidding.... The red head did nothing all game. Did not look dangerous and like all red heads showed he was not use to having friends as he was unable to hold the ball up for his support. The young kid (number 14) barry turned the ball over every time and showed how lightweights get bounced around when playing with the big boys. Back to ressies for that kid. I have a problem with tarrent making that squad. He is like Crouch but no good in the air.... and a dirty cat when challenging.

dukes
wrote on 03-Jul-06 12:06

as far as goalkeepers go, PEN keeper in 1st grade

Samson
wrote on 03-Jul-06 13:05

As long as you have these blokes in the team then the rest of the team would go fine. Keeper: Oaks(YMCA) Backs: Masulans(Saints), Grey(Norm) Midfielders: Kurt(Penno), Dax(Saints) Forwards: Batts(Rangers), Boz(Penno)

wrote on 03-Jul-06 13:06

becos they aren't as popular poppies

time for a change
wrote on 03-Jul-06 13:07

I agree ????. also cant agree juice is the best keeper. altho he's having quite a good season this year he can be too hot and cold. I actually like Vella at Penno and i'd swap kurt for Aven at THL, each time they played he mostly neutred the old grey guy

????????
wrote on 03-Jul-06 13:08

????, Normanhurst would only get 1 player in the team as they aren't a team of stars, just a sold team who are well drilled and organised.

wrote on 03-Jul-06 13:08

>> i'd swap kurt for Aven at THL << i would agree with that.. Aven much underrated. better than that damo guy.

????
wrote on 03-Jul-06 13:09

How does a team like Normanhurst who is sitting 1st only get one player in the strongest team? please explain

time for a change
wrote on 03-Jul-06 14:04

Ryan Manuel in the same company as Nate Gray and before Masulans, come on. The wph player is a novice and a sluggish one at that.

Phantom2000
wrote on 03-Jul-06 14:08

Last time i checked masulans was playing ressies....... i agree he is effective, bu how you call manuel sluggish against masulans is funny, i think even masulans would agree he isnt the quickest anymore..

Phantom2000
wrote on 03-Jul-06 14:09

Goalkeeper: STA keeper Defenders: Ryan Manuel (WPH) Nath Gray (NOR) Butts (ROS) Hammer(EEW) Midfielders: Dax(STA) Kurt (PEN) Avan (THL) Pearso (STA) Strikers: Boz(Pen), Damo (although i think Damos new role in midfield is suiting him, and he is playing well) (THL) Reserves: Gerard (ROS) B Lawson (WPH) Daz (NOR) Isaac (NER)

Pete
wrote on 03-Jul-06 15:00

Yes he is new. Left footed, left mid for WPH, runs ugly but rips his opposite number apart regularly. Apparently he is the baby of the team still at school.

Tiprat
wrote on 03-Jul-06 15:04

Goalkeeper: Frosty(NOR) Defenders: Gray(NOR), Andrew Cass(Pen), Bull(Norm) Midfielders: Kurt(Pen), Chris Allen(Pen), Wallington(STA), Lawson(WPH) Strikers: Boz(Pen), Damo(Thorns), Pearso(STA)

DAMIEN
wrote on 03-Jul-06 15:07

I few people have mentioned Lawson (WPH). Is he new this season? Just not too sure who he is.

Juice
wrote on 03-Jul-06 15:09

"Time for a change", I agree. I'm over the hill now at the ripe age of 31, there are quite a number of younger lads running around between the sticks, perhaps faster and more agile. Oaks from the village people would get my knod for the #1 (I'd say he is the reason why those blaster villagers haven't been relegated as yet) and reading match reports of late, it sounds as thought the STA keeper is having a purple patch of form and would be my 2nd choice.

Phantom2000
wrote on 03-Jul-06 15:09

Yeh he is new...

n00b
wrote on 03-Jul-06 16:03

Im with Juice on this occasion...im far from playing like someone worthy of a position in the strongest team in the compeition, but thanks for the nomination Phantom. However..."time for a change"...id like to know where you get noivce and sluggish from..im hardly a newbie to the game of football, although I am new to the PL competition this season. As for sluggish...if you have outpaced me in a game then I will accept your comment..but I doubt it.

alpha
wrote on 03-Jul-06 17:05

btw, Normo is no longer at the top of the table

Pete
wrote on 03-Jul-06 18:06

Tim Hill! LOL

Thorns
wrote on 03-Jul-06 18:09

Keeper: Vella(PEN) Defence: Gray(NOR), Pete(PEN), Hammer(EEW), Masulans(STA) Midfield: Timmy Hill(Thorns), Kurt(PEN), Avan(Thorns), Bautovich(PEN) Strikers: Damo(Thorns), Boz(PEN) Bench: Dax(STA), Wallington(STA), Pearso(STA), Gerard(ROS)

rade
wrote on 03-Jul-06 20:03

Josh Ruttyn and Eddie on the flanks?!?!? I'll put my boots back on and have a run out wide if they are the contenders.....

rade
wrote on 03-Jul-06 20:03

sorry double post

DAMIEN
wrote on 03-Jul-06 20:06

Keeper: Vella (Pen) Defence: Gray (Nor), Pete (Pen), Mick (Sta) CM: Kurt (Pen), Avan (Thl), Isaac (Ner) Wingers: Josh Rutten (Nor), Eddie (WPHC) Strikers: Adam (Ros), Boz (Pen), Coach: Gus (WPHC) Bench: Sta keeper, Scott (Ner), Dax (Sta), Left footed long haired guy at NER, Hammer (EEW), Ryan when not injuried (Thl), Tim Casar (pen)

Observant
wrote on 04-Jul-06 09:03

Hard to go by Kurt at Penno as best coach. He has molded a complete first and ressies squad from hardly nothing over the last few years and the most important thing is they are a harmonious group not so the likes of a few other big name local teams

Agent
wrote on 04-Jul-06 10:02

Are you looking for an off season transfer around the corner Damo ?? I only take 10%.

wrote on 04-Jul-06 10:05

>>not so the likes of a few other big name local teams << like..?

DAMIEN
wrote on 04-Jul-06 10:09

Observant Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hard to go by Kurt at Penno as best coach. He has > molded a complete first and ressies squad from > hardly nothing over the last few years and the > most important thing is they are a harmonious > group not so the likes of a few other big name > local teams Maybe so, but if you look at the players Gus at WPHC has, and where they are sitting on the table, you would have to think he is above Kurt.

DAMIEN
wrote on 04-Jul-06 11:02

Agent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are you looking for an off season transfer around > the corner Damo ?? > > I only take 10%. Nah. Going to concentrate on coaching next season myself, as i am taking up my national and euro badges...

Observant
wrote on 04-Jul-06 12:00

DAMIEN Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Observant Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Hard to go by Kurt at Penno as best coach. He > has molded a complete first and ressies squad > from hardly nothing over the last few years and > the most important thing is they are a > harmonious roup not so the likes of a few other big > name ocal teams > > > Maybe so, but if you look at the players Gus at > WPHC has, and where they are sitting on the table, > you would have to think he is above Kurt. Damien The record speaks for itself over the past 3 seasons since Kurt took over from Plessey. Since 2004 WPH has moved from 1st to currently 4th on 1st grade ladder and PEN from 4th to currently 1st. In ressies WPH have moved from 2 to currently 6 and PEN from 7th to currently =2nd. Its a lay down mazaire in my book.

Observant
wrote on 04-Jul-06 12:03

er that Quessy not Plessey, thinking of my old employer

DAMIEN
wrote on 04-Jul-06 13:00

Obviously they are both good coaches... But kurt now has the squad/players to back him up (hence coming first), where-as Gus i would say has a weaker squad yet still getting great results in both grades.

Pete
wrote on 04-Jul-06 13:04

Observant, Correct me if I'm wrong here for WPH and your 1st to 4th comparison and the last three seasons. WPH 1sts - three GFs, 1 championship, 1 premiership. Ressies, I think it's two possibly three GFs with one championship. I would have to agree with damien Observant. Penno with Kurt doesn't quite match WPH with Gus record even with his season off. Tactically/Knowledge anyway, Gus for my money as coach.

Observant
wrote on 04-Jul-06 13:06

Damo Relatively speaking at this point in time, Gus has taken the squad backwards during his watch, Kurt has taken his forward (ie 2004 wph were 1st, 2005 2nd, 2006 currently hovering between 3rd & 4th; Penno were 4th in 2004, 3rd in 2005 and currently 1st). If we are comparing now, Kurt has gotta get the nod. If things change by end of season and into next, I'll review my position. Besides, its not as if Gus hasnt had anything to work with. Hes picked up a few ex-state leaguers this year to replace the likes of Seales, Iredales etc (still seem to be scoring goals for them) and west penno always had more depth to work with, because of its massive size, in their junior players than most other clubs, especially Penno. BTW wouldnt describe the wph ressies current 6th position results as "great", especially compared with previous years when they were hardly ever out of a top 3 finish, including several premiership wins.LOL

Observant
wrote on 04-Jul-06 14:04

Pier (perhaps Pete?) The finishes each year are a pointer to how the team is progressing, thats all. Between wph and penno there is a clear indication of one team going in one direction and another in the other. See my post above for reference to the GFs and premierships. Kurt over Gus... the record speaks for itself.... besides I have it on good authority that the seasons highest scorer would probably still be at wph if it werent for the current coach, so that's one more reason not to reward folly.

Observant
wrote on 04-Jul-06 14:04

Er sorry Pete, missed you there for a moment. OK, Ill correct you. Bear in mind the comparison is for the past 3 seasons from 2004 when WPH won their last 1st grade premiership to now ie 2006, which is the year we are talking about in this post. So, WPH have appeared in 2 x 1st grade GFs in this period (not 3, have to wait and see about this year). The premiership in 2004 was won under Kev Iredale, not Gus. My point stands in the comparision over this period. Penno is clearly in the ascendancy and WPH in the descendancy since their 2004 highpoint. Granted its hard to get to the top and stay there but you cant dispute these facts and youve gotta give credit to Kurt for his results. WPH ressies have suffered to a greater extent since 2004 as their previously good results attest when you compare now.

Pier
wrote on 04-Jul-06 14:06

Observant, Taking the squad backwards? in 03 when they won the GF they finished the season 4th after dropped one game for the remainder of that season when Gus took over from that Gino fool just prior to the 2nd round starting. Who cares about 4th, 3rd, 2nd finishes. Premierships and championships my friend; that's what matters and in the last three years WPH have some of these, Penno don't. Personel aside, they have been two pretty even squads for my money, well maybe not ressies but in 1sts they have. Let's no forget that their leading goal scorer and in the comps leading goal scorer is a WPH boy and can be strongly attributed to their current position... not coaching!!!!

Juice
wrote on 04-Jul-06 15:01

Beers?

Boz
wrote on 04-Jul-06 15:01

Im on holidays!

Juice
wrote on 04-Jul-06 15:04

Observant, I think Pete/Pier was referring to the past three seasons not including this one, ie, 03, 04 and 05. As for Boz, Gus and Boz didn't see eye to eye or eye to ego for that matter. Just coming into this thread it sounds as though Observant, you have ties with Penno ("...I have it on good authority...")so I guess it's understandable your push for tennis coach. I suppose your logic of ascendancy and descendancy would rule out Masulans from STA as a contender given their current position. Think about it mate...

Observant
wrote on 04-Jul-06 15:06

Masulans as a contender, certainly not. I also have no preoblems with Gus as a contender. I simply argued that for selecting the 2006 best coach my money would be on Kurt, ahead of Gus (and Masulans) because of his cumulative record over the last 3 seasons since he took over in 2004 and where the team is today.

Boz
wrote on 04-Jul-06 15:07

shut up Juice.

Juice
wrote on 04-Jul-06 15:08

Oh relax Boz, I still love ya... get back to your uni assignments :)

Juice
wrote on 04-Jul-06 16:03

Yeah I'm just not sure Observant. Players are picked on 'form', coaches on the other hand...

Boz
wrote on 04-Jul-06 16:07

Meet you at the Sands in 5

stats don't lie
wrote on 04-Jul-06 17:00

Considering WPH have been in the last 3 grand finals, and St Andrews the last 2 years then I would say it would have to be one of them as top coach obviously. Over the last 7 years, WPH have made 4 first grade grand finals, same as St Andrews. Each having one premiership each (correct me if I am wrong). 4 out of 7 aint bad for both sides. 99 - WPH V St Andrews (3-0) 00 - Penno V St Andrews (1-0) 01 - Epp Estwood V North Epping (2-1) 02 - North Epping V Penno (1-0) 03 - WPH V Normo (1-0) 04 - St Andrews V WPH (2-0) 05 - St Andrews V WPH (3-0) 06 ?

Batts'
wrote on 04-Jul-06 17:06

Coaches are picked by default as no other damn fool wants to do the blastard job Until we have a club that can win the comp 2 years on the spin we won't have a dominant coach or team/club. The curse of the Premiers strikes again. I told you so.

delids3
wrote on 05-Jul-06 13:05

Phantom2000 and tiprat How can you have that Damo guy as one of the top 3 strikers. He has scored 4 goals all year.... He is average run of the mill first grader, no offence damo, but he is just a striker. He deserves his spot at THL but does not pester defences or cause coaches much pre-game grief. Also wearing tights at what 22-25..... give that habit up. Batts does it at 45 and we can understand that... but you look like a nancy prancing in tights and constantly pulling your hair back. Go with one girlie look only... not two!

Phantom2000
wrote on 05-Jul-06 13:09

Ok then yeh... So he was up in the top part of the scorers list this season when he was playing in the striker position mate.... He hasnt been playing striker for most of this season... But i would still have him in my side, because he doesnt need to score goals to make an impact, he comes too the ball and pass it off to mid fielders, and is sensible about the play and has vision when he passes.. hahaha, so writing shit slagging someone off on a forum using a fake name isnt a nancy thing to do??? Give me a break. Where is your team anyway so we can all pick at what you say???

Batts'
wrote on 05-Jul-06 14:00

Hey steady on !!! I am only 42 and I don't prance do I ?? More like a stumble, a waiver in a drunken stupor then a crash to the ground. I'm tipping you are EEW. You didn't give me much "understanding" at Tuckwell when I tore my hammy chasing the ball down the wing like Carl Lewis EXPLODING out of the blocks......

DAMIEN
wrote on 05-Jul-06 14:03

delids3 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Phantom2000 and tiprat > > How can you have that Damo guy as one of the top 3 > strikers. He has scored 4 goals all year.... He is > average run of the mill first grader, no offence > damo, but he is just a striker. He deserves his > spot at THL but does not pester defences or cause > coaches much pre-game grief. > > Also wearing tights at what 22-25..... give that > habit up. Batts does it at 45 and we can > understand that... but you look like a nancy > prancing in tights and constantly pulling your > hair back. Go with one girlie look only... not > two! Ah, someone is a bitter fuckwit now. There there. Those 4 goals came when i was playing striker... i now am a midfield genius creating goals left, right and centre, soon to be selected to replace wilkshire in the aussie team. As for my tights and hair -you can never be girly enough. Wanna hug?

NoComment
wrote on 05-Jul-06 17:01

Can someone just tell me how this 'oakesy' guys is even in the top 5 keepers of the comp with the worst goals conceded in the comp?? 33 no less!!!

AA observer
wrote on 05-Jul-06 17:04

i'm having such a hard time understanding all of the logic on this forum. everyone talks about Penno and West penno. when people are selecting the best players and coaches everybody ignores Normo (mostly) if normo only have 1 good player (apparently) shouldnt their coach be up there also? with an apparent shit team they have been first and second in both grades all season, they are still top (equal in 1sts) in both grades, have the best defence in the league and about a zillion scorers. i dont like them much from my playing days, but is that why everyone ignores them? or do i see people blinded by their own dislike? i've only seen them play twice this year, so i cant judge, have they been lucky or are they actually an alright team?

NoComment
wrote on 05-Jul-06 17:05

Wooden Eye, I just find it hard to comprehend is all. Surely if he was close to the comp's best keeper would not be picking the ball out of his net 3 or so times a game. Im assuming your exaggerating a little with the 6 or 7-1 score line, I know ST. A are a great attacking unit but Im assuming they just had an off day and the Y were lucky on the day.

Wooden Eye
wrote on 05-Jul-06 17:09

NoComment, If it was not for Oakes down at the Village the goals agaisnt would be pushing close to the ton. The fact that the Villages have let in 33 is not due to the Keeper but more attributed to the rest of the team. Ask any Woods players how many great saves he made on the weekend. Woods could have easily won the game 6 or 7 - 1.

Juice
wrote on 05-Jul-06 18:02

NoComment, I would have to agree with wooden eye. I reckon Oaks is one of the main reasons if not the reason why the villagers some how avoid relegation over the last gee I don't know, decade. Oaks hasn't been there as long as that but the fat man made just as significant contribution to the Ys survival I'm sure prior to Oaks' position. There have been some quality keepers come through the PL since my time in the comp - Wisey from Penno, Backhouse from STA, Frosty from NOR and most certainly Oaks in my reckoning. In bygone days when WPH finished the season with quite a handsome sum of goals, when we played Y, there were times when the score was 4 or 5 blot. But if not for Oaks the score could have been embarrassing. Speaking as a GK, no matter how good you are, if you have an ordinary backline in front of you, one can expect to be beaten on numerous occasions by a decent attacking team. Like I said, my pick is Oaks (it's hard to stop evrything sometimes when you have not much in front of you to help out - Oaks is the reason why we didn't beat them in Rd1) followed by STA GK (on current form)

NoComment
wrote on 06-Jul-06 09:04

Juice, Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe I underestimate his ability. I have only seen the Villagers play a few times and by no means did the GK stand out. P erhaps I should get down to one of their games - although it must be said the Y are exactly the most entertaining team going around. For my 2 cents and I agree with you here, I really think the new ST. A keeper although young, will become the best going around in years to come.

NoComment
wrote on 06-Jul-06 09:04

Juice, Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe I underestimate his ability. I have only seen the Villagers play a few times and by no means did the GK stand out. P erhaps I should get down to one of their games - although it must be said the Y are exactly the most entertaining team going around. For my 2 cents and I agree with you here, I really think the new ST. A keeper although young, will become the best going around in years to come.

Batts'
wrote on 06-Jul-06 16:04

I hate all goalkeepers !! Most of all my own.

cobbs
wrote on 10-Jul-06 16:08

You only hate me cause you have not scored a goal at training in 4 years.

Author:
Subject: