One sided penno

Views: 6084 Posts: 33
Calling Batts
wrote on 15-Jun-06 09:02

Batts, you may do well with your mob listening to this.

Pickings
wrote on 15-Jun-06 09:09

Ive watched pennant hills many times this year and i cant understand why teams havent picked up on their game plan. There goals and attack all comes down the left with their big, fast left mid, and boz down that left side. If you cut out there left sided attack and put a man marker on kurt, then watch penno faulter. In the Know

DMilligan
wrote on 15-Jun-06 10:05

Dear Pickings, Whatever you're on....I want some. As Weird correctly alludes to, some teams (WPH) have even put 2 men on Kurt without success. Penno's other mid-fielders then naturally carved it up. A team should be numbered up in defence anyway. As for the Big Fast Left midfielder.......he would be so proud to hear that - he's 65kgs dripping wet. fast yes, big, not. Batts will know the game plan he has in mind and will attempt to stick to it as closely as possible. Pickings, perhaps you should look at the Goal Scorers Tally (apart from Boz obviously) and work out exactly how Penno attacks. One would suggest you actually start playing football instead of just watching it, and who knows, you may learn something.

Weird
wrote on 15-Jun-06 10:06

People have tried to mark Kurt for years without any result. He is fitter than any midfielder in the comp. Ask Juice and the WPH plan... it never works to mark him out of the game. If you cut out the left side, they can still just go down the right can't they? Weird.

Y
wrote on 15-Jun-06 10:09

Can't anybody give credit when credit is due? As soon as a top team hits top of the comp, somone gets on here and says they are sh*t somehow... Penno are winning cause they are playing good football as a team as far as I can see. There is more to a team than two or three players. Man mark one player and you still have to mark the other 9 (not including keeper of course).

Know It all
wrote on 15-Jun-06 13:08

I agree with Y. Give them credit. Penno will win the comp. No questions. They have solid defence, and attack all over the park. They also have the depth with several reserve graders also pushing for a 1sts call up - Andy, to name one (although should be in 1sts anyway). Too much class all over the park for mind. There is a reason they lead the comp...

Pete
wrote on 15-Jun-06 14:00

A couple a years ago WPH scored 54 (I think) in a season. Over 100 if you count their reserve grade. With Penno 1sts on 32 and with 5 games left, I think that will be passed. Such an attacking line up - Morrison must be happy he kept feeding Boz's self worth preseason.

DMilligan
wrote on 15-Jun-06 14:04

Pete, Was WPH's feats in an 8 team (14 game) comp, or as it is now? Does it include semis etc?

Juice
wrote on 15-Jun-06 14:09

DMilligan, Season was 04, first year of the 10 team format and it was 50 goals I think which did not include semis/GF.

What
wrote on 15-Jun-06 15:01

Pete wrote: " Such an attacking line up - Morrison must be happy he kept feeding Boz's self worth preseason" What's that mean Pete?

Muz
wrote on 18-Jun-06 09:09

So Batts, did you use the insight provided by Pickings to take down the competition leaders? Or is Pickings just some TOOL.

Penno Lover
wrote on 11-Jul-06 15:03

After Saturday's absolute demolition of the Rosebuds this team is not one sided. The second half was an absolute onslaught and was some of the best soccer played this year. After scoring 8 goals how can this team be called one sided???

Why
wrote on 11-Jul-06 16:00

Boz was man marked tight (and quite well for a while) on Sat but still scored 3 goals... What's your thoughts on that Pier?

Why
wrote on 11-Jul-06 16:01

But then there is 2 other quality strikers to contend with... what about them?

iwould
wrote on 11-Jul-06 16:03

i would put a man against boz. not let him gain any momentum is his strides. stick to him like glue.

Penno Lover
wrote on 11-Jul-06 16:04

Why Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Boz was man marked tight (and quite well for a > while) on Sat but still scored 3 goals... > > What's your thoughts on that Pier? Ill tell you my thoughts "why" ...or should that be BOZ!! I know its you Boz, I have inside information..

Pier
wrote on 11-Jul-06 16:06

Poor defender! The buds are new to the comp this season and haven't worked him out. The NORs and STAs defenders know how to mark him, they've been doing a pretty good job of it for a number of seasons. When was the last time Boz dominated against either of those teams? Other teams have thumped buds this season as well.

Penno Lover
wrote on 11-Jul-06 16:06

Then if that happened penno would only score 5 per game!!!...

Pier
wrote on 11-Jul-06 16:09

Man marking Boz does seem to work, he is dangerous when he's running at you because of his speed only but - he's kinda like Lleyton Hewitt, quick but average skill when beating players. Doesn't really have the footwork ala Adam Leonardi or Tim Spencer in the old days, to turn his marker. "Why" you are quite correct about Penno's other strikers. A good team all round. My money's on them for the premiership and possibly the championship, especialy if they keep playing like they did against the buds

Yep
wrote on 11-Jul-06 17:07

He scored round 1 against them

leaks
wrote on 11-Jul-06 17:08

Who hasn't scored against thornleigh! hardly a good team with a solid defense. Good of you to bring a penno discussion back to thornleigh though... an overrated team sitting in what 8th? do you not get it.... no one cares!

Nutta
wrote on 11-Jul-06 17:09

Boz from memory hasn't scored against Thornleigh either. Maybe he did at WPH though.

Pier
wrote on 11-Jul-06 18:02

Ah I note from the buds match report that the fat man Hickman (complete dick) got himself sent off (no surprise) and their only decent defender Butler moved himself up front in the second half. Explains a lot as to why a decent attack like Penno's ripped them to shreds. Good result nonetheless, but there were compounding contributions from the buds. Looking forward to the coming weeks for all the top four teams - all have tough runs though NOR and PEN too far in front I think for WPH and STA

LiamW
wrote on 12-Jul-06 09:05

After playing them twice now I wouldnt call Penno a one man team. Although a lot of their play does go through Kurt they have got good players all over the park who can do you damage. I thought the other forward Andy was a decent player and he scored a hatty as well. The bloke who plays on the left for them is not bad either. Boz did have a quiet first half but he was unlucky not to get four in the second half after one of his efforts was chalked off for offside. Its defintely going to be between Penno and Normo who take it out. As for Hicky you can't really defend the big mans actions. I suppose as Batts has said you just get old and cranky when you can't do the things you used to be able to do.

here here Liam
wrote on 12-Jul-06 12:03

Like you said liam, the 3 players you picked out except andy are there strengths, and if you shut them out you shut penno out. Boz there striker, Bauto there left midfielder and kurt there central midfielder. this attack comes all down the left so cut this out and you will get a result against this football team. As for andy, hes just an ordinary footballer and if you cut his supply out from the other 3 hes nothing.

DMilligan
wrote on 12-Jul-06 13:08

here here Liam??????.....regardless of your opinion of his effectiveness compared with the other 3, it's a harsh call about Andy being an ordinary footballer when he bangs in 3. Regardless who it is against (the Buds are new to PL etc,argument) it's still a hat trick. One, maybe two goals from a striker who gets 'lucky' are often scored by an 'ordinary' footballer, but not 3. Even in an 8 goal pumping, netting thrice is still quality.

DMIlligan
wrote on 12-Jul-06 14:02

Duke, Agree to some comments in part.......but even tap ins must be attributed to a striker being in the position to do so. It's part of their job. How many times have you seen an errant cross trickle across the 6 yard box 'waiting' for a striker to pounce?

DMIlligan
wrote on 12-Jul-06 14:02

Duke, Agree to some comments in part.......but even tap ins must be attributed to a striker being in the position to do so. It's part of their job. How many times have you seen an errant cross trickle across the 6 yard box 'waiting' for a striker to pounce?

Duke
wrote on 12-Jul-06 14:08

You do not need to be a quality footballer to score 3 goals in first grade. They could get 3 tap ins (I'm not saying Andy's were tap ins). And by the way the PL is full of ordinary footballers - with the exception of a few who could play in the higher state leagues. No need to single Andy out - he's not alone.

Gaz
wrote on 12-Jul-06 17:03

here here liam.... WTF are you talking about! You said... "the 3 players you picked out except andy are there strengths, and if you shut them out you shut penno out." If you mark the best 3 players of any team out of a game af course you are going to do better, thanks captain obvious. But best of luck trying to man mark 3 players all game. Your genius plan seems floored since they are equal competition leaders. You also said... "As for andy, hes just an ordinary footballer and if you cut his supply out from the other 3 hes nothing." Of course if you cut away a players supply they will struggle to score, again, thanks for the heads up! when was the last time you scored a hatrick? Pipe down tactical master, you've got no idea.

Juice
wrote on 12-Jul-06 19:00

I agree Gaz. I wish I had a dollar for ever time I listened to one of our previous coaches at WPH say '... I want you to man mark Morrison...'. I use to quietly laugh to myself. It doesn't work as it has already been said, there are other dangers Penno has, and besides, as much as I hate to say it, Morrison is the 'smartest' football player in the comp and is exceedingly difficult to man mark. Sure he is a little slower nowadays, but still just as wiley. Ask the many who have tried to mark him.

LiamW
wrote on 13-Jul-06 11:02

As I have said I am only new the the comp his year but in my opinion Kurt is the best player I have played against in this league. I think somebody told me he played first grade cricket instead of playing in the state league is that right?

DMilligan
wrote on 13-Jul-06 11:05

Liam, That is correct, although he spent some Youth League time at Blacktown City. He ended up captaining Gordon's First Grade cricket side for quite a few years. You should also see the little b*stard on the golf course! Annoying really!

Author:
Subject: