After 7 rounds..

Views: 6847 Posts: 37
wrote on 16-May-06 12:04

After 7 rounds of football -- have you seen anything worth talking about, any outstanding teams/players? any disappointments? NER started all guns blazing then lately seem to slump - could do with a striker. Thornleigh has a gun striker who always talk things up but results so far has been disappointing esp after signing so many ex-wph guns. Other than the above - the season has been pretty average. bring back KFC zingers

Bob Evans
wrote on 16-May-06 13:03

WPH have done well rebuilding their team after losing so many players. Their young winger Ben Lawson is a good player. Tim Hill must be disapointed swapping a title winning side for a relegation battle

Pete
wrote on 16-May-06 13:05

Indeed WPH have recruited well. Noticably their left winger - ugly running style but very effective player. They seem to have picked up two decent defenders as well. Still lacking a replacement for Boz up front though.

Juice
wrote on 16-May-06 13:09

Do Ravens deserve to be in last place? Having not played the village people yet and seen RAV play, they are not a bad team. Certainly didn't play as though they are a last place team. They seem to be an 'unlucky' team.

Pete
wrote on 16-May-06 14:00

WPH is a new team (except four), of course they would start slow with results and not gel or play well - they sucked in the Continental Cup. They're much better now and still improving. All I can say is, it's good to see the lack of ugly long ball they were renound for. How NOR are favourites is beyond me... Coz they spanked blunder 3 zip Phantom?... The comp is wide WIDE open still between the usual suspects. Injuries, suspensions, WC travellers will make an interesting 2nd round. Too early to call favourites Phantom!

Juice
wrote on 16-May-06 14:01

Phantom2000, I think Snakehead could be referring to his on field expressions. You obviously have never marked or been anywhere in the vacinity of Suplina on the pitch. That is unless you play for blunder and have your 'Suplina filter' turned on. The bloke's a decent player sure, but he doesn't shut up. Very annoying indeed.

Pete
wrote on 16-May-06 14:02

Ha ha ha ha...Pitch Black... that's the funniest thing I'ver read on this forum so far... ha ha ha ha

PITCH BLACK
wrote on 16-May-06 14:04

I think YMCA are still a chance fpr the title. They are a dark horse

Phantom2000
wrote on 16-May-06 14:06

> > Thornleigh has a gun striker who always talk > things up but results so far has been > disappointing esp after signing so many ex-wph > guns. Damo hasnt talked up anything all year.. what has he said snake? (sorry for fending for you damo, but i have to the guys an ass). Thunder have been unbelievable disappointing!! They know it, the whole league knows they are better than the meager points they have collected. obviously there are some problems, any guesses as to where? STA after a poor start are flying along, Penno are solid but leak some goals, Normo have to be favourites now, their whole squad is quality. WPH well they havnt lost yet, but i cant see how they are on top, the didnt seem that good the times i have seen them play, but the points dont lie i suppose, so well done to them, with a brand new team. Thats my rant..

wrote on 16-May-06 14:07

>> I think YMCA are still a chance fpr the title. They are a dark horse << yeah they re so dark i could missed them for a black panther (maybe they could do with a eusebio or 2) there is a little bloke from NERds who play in the mid for the stiffs. very nimble -both feets. abit like the little bloke who also play in the middle for the first.... could deploy one on the right & the other on the left. batts, i hope i am not giving you ideas.

Could it happen???
wrote on 16-May-06 15:05

Could YMCA avoid the drop once again with the ravens going down. Will it be 9th spot for them once again???? When will it end...

Nutta
wrote on 16-May-06 16:00

Snakehead you said "Thornleigh has a gun striker who always talk things up but results so far has been disappointing esp after signing so many ex-wph guns." In fact they signed 3 ex players. 1 first grade (Tim Hill) and a reserve grader and an ex reserve grader. Not exactly "so many" ex WPH guns. I'm not trying to be argumentative or picky, just that the side isn't that bolstered from the 2005 side.

Muz
wrote on 16-May-06 16:06

Pitch Black, You can't be serious. The Villagers will be content with 9th, however as Juice said, Ravens probably don't deserve to be last so it won't be easy. Ravens will win a few games before the end and are no certainty to drop. The usual suspects will make the semis; STA, NMH, PEN and WPH - just not sure of the order.

Jason
wrote on 16-May-06 17:02

After rnd 7, this years top 5 teams are the same as last years top 5, so in that sense nothing much has changed. If there have been any surprises from the pre-season chat its that WPH have managed to do so well with their new players (although i think they are still running 6 or 7 of their 2005 stayers, not 4 as indicated by Pete) and Rosebuds seem well settled in the middle of the pack. The rest are also pretty much in the same place they were last year, including Thunder who despite their poor showing against EEW, are on the whole playing some decent football, as evidenced by their good results against STA and WPH. Theres still a good way to go and we know tis many a slip twixt cup and lip, or should that be the other way round.

Joe Blow
wrote on 16-May-06 17:06

Batts, Time to start attacking. It is sensible that you get alot of people behind the ball in "good" games but you play the same against the weaker teams, it gives them false confidence and subsequently allowing them to be competitive. Attack man and blow them away in the first 20 mins.

n00b
wrote on 16-May-06 17:08

There is a mere 7 points seperating 1st and 6th position. Two weeks of upsets and the lead will be up for the taking. Not to mention we are only two weeks away from the second half of the season. I thought it was wrong to see that WPH are undefeated yet sitting second on the ladder until I checked the stiffs and saw that the Epping Rangers are also undeafeated but are sitting 5th on the table with a total of 5 draws. Just like the beginning of the season, its still to early to say who will make the top 4 and who will take the wooden spoon.

Mystikal
wrote on 16-May-06 18:06

Thornleigh's problems are obvious if you saw the turn out to training on Tuesday and Thursday nights at Oakleigh oval

Juice
wrote on 16-May-06 21:01

Jason, Five from 2005 - myself(though changing GKs does not have much of an impact on play), Eddie, Ash, Miles, Covers and six if you count Tom Chalton who was 1sts in 2004. Still, I guess that's nearly 1/2 the team. Reserve grade is where the the majority of new players have ended. n00b, cast your memory back to last season where Penno lost only two games all season (I think) - drew a truck load. Did they deserve to finish higher than 4th? Answer: No, if you can't win games then that's the way it should be. If the current status quo remained at the end of this season and NOR finished ahead of WPH but WPH were undefeated, I certainly wouldn't be playing the 'oh but we were undefeated' card.

Bardo
wrote on 17-May-06 10:00

can anyone see any of these teams doing well in Champions of champions this year,i think this year the standard has dropped.Why dont know.

DAMIEN
wrote on 17-May-06 10:01

Phantom2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > > Thornleigh has a gun striker who always talk > > things up but results so far has been > > disappointing esp after signing so many > ex-wph > > guns. > > > Damo hasnt talked up anything all year.. what has > he said snake? (sorry for fending for you damo, > but i have to the guys an ass). Thanks Dad...

Mr Suplina
wrote on 17-May-06 11:07

That's alright son, its what I am here for. Oh and to run on the field when you start a fight, but that's what love is all about. Don't be home late for dinner

BUDy
wrote on 17-May-06 14:00

i dont agree with most of the predictions, at the start of the year everyone doubted WPH and NOR and gave STA and Penno all the praise in the world. After 7 rounds (nearly half a season) they are the teams that have come to the top. AS far as i'm concerned in my first year of PL, it doesnt matter what you say or what others say, its the table that counts. I heard "WPh players left", "Normo Cant Score" yet ll you "Experts" have been proved wrong. As it turns out, there are other strikers in the world apart from boz and leo and their old teams CAN score wthout them. Looking at the stats, DIFFERENT SCORERS per team, NOR have 12 WPH 9. That should say it all, THL and PEN struggle because if the opposition have 1 decent defender, then thats their main weapons gone. From what i have heard, Normo have an awesome defence in both grades and in 1st's they have played THL,PEN and STA and beaten them to 0. Gus has done an awesome job with WPh, thay are organised, fit and should be favourites along with NOR in my book (stats prove it).

Woodchuck
wrote on 17-May-06 14:07

The table leaders shouldnt get too cocky yet as history has a way of repeating itself. This same time last year Nerds were on top of the table and STA were in 5th spot, having won just 3 games. By the end of the season the positions had been reversed, STA storming home and WPH lucky to make the 4. Its still a long way to go boys and no doubt there are a few lessons still to be learnt by this years youngsters. Its the last few weeks of the comp which tests the nerves and depth of talent within teams.

Rosey
wrote on 17-May-06 15:00

Pardon me Woodchuck, but no-one was getting coky here. The only "cocky" post was by you praising yourself for last years win and predicting it agian this year.

WPH
wrote on 17-May-06 15:01

How can ya say we were lucky to make the 4? We came second by a point or 2, how are we lucky to make the top 4?

Because...
wrote on 17-May-06 15:04

Because WPH had to beat Normo 2nd last game of the year to make the top 4. It was the same for all top 5 teams though. Anyone in the top 6 could have made the top 4 last year up until the last game ot two

Josh
wrote on 17-May-06 15:04

At the end of the second round WPH v NER game last year after we luckily won 2-0 a few of the WPH boys said good luck in the semi's as though they weren't going to be there (there were only 2 games to go after that). I think my comment was that they would be. Some of the WPH boys thought the season may have been over at that point (given they had to play Normo the following week). We missed out and they made second. So it was down to the wire last year and any of the top five (except StA) may have missed out.

Juice
wrote on 17-May-06 16:03

Rosey - you are quite correct Josh - not sure about the rest of the boys you spoke to after the game last season, but when I say good luck in the semis, it's because I thought NERds deserved to be there - not because I thought we didn't or wouldn't be there.

Juice
wrote on 17-May-06 16:08

Josh, Was that the game where I gave you a gifted goal?... Hmmmm, ugly... :-)

Josh
wrote on 17-May-06 16:08

Juice, you may be right about that - I may have misinterpreted. It could have been the disappointment at the loss given that 2-0 to you would have been a fairer result on the day.

Woodchuck
wrote on 17-May-06 16:09

Rosey, from your comment I suspect you and BUDy are one and the same and from your lack of background knowlege of this league, also one of the younguns... no matter.. You said < Pardon me Woodchuck, but no-one was getting coky here.> BUDy said < Gus has done an awesome job with WPh, thay are organised, fit and should be favourites along with NOR in my book (stats prove it).> I say, in the circumstances, thats being cocky.

Juice
wrote on 17-May-06 17:08

Hmmm, yes yes top corner it was! :)

Josh
wrote on 17-May-06 17:09

Juice, When I tell stories of that goal it sails into the top corner with you at full strectch. It might be a good idea if you stick to that story too! Very surprised that went in I can tell you given some of the saves you've pulled off against us over the years.

rosey
wrote on 18-May-06 10:07

Woodchuck, i would stick to my day job if i were you (drive thru) because you wouldnt make a good detective. Judging by my name, i'm sure everyone would work out i'm from the rosebuds and when i spoke of first year of prem league its because we only came up this yr. i dont know it was possible to be cocky for another team? i was only stating my thoughts on the teams that i though deserved to be mentioned. i wasnt here for last years comp and as far as i'm concerned its in the past (i suggets you get over it also). its a big call to say that you dont care where in the table you are you will win the comp. from what i have seen there are 2 teams at the top who wont let that happen too easily. less typing more training woody. dont worry about the second half of the season, worry about NER this saturday.

Woodchuck
wrote on 18-May-06 14:08

Hey rosey/buddy, why so touchy and why so personal? My initial comments were just stating the facts as they are well known on this site and by anyone who has been around for more than 1 season. Also i wasnt predicting any one specific team for a win, just that there is plenty of time for the tables to be turned between now and end of season.... calm down and enjoy the ride and the getting of wisdom

Raving!!
wrote on 18-May-06 16:00

I love the Ravens! They will go all the way from here

Crying Again
wrote on 18-May-06 16:03

Dont worry Woodchuck no Woody player or supporter should post anything on this ledger, one because your coach probably doesnt want you to anyway! But, two, a lot of people on this forum will turn whatever you say around on you because of the poor performance by the rest of the league last season and now they all weant revenge either on the field or throught this medium...dont listen to Rosebud...always remember the past...DD. Woods to go all the way again

Author:
Subject: