Socceroo Squad

Views: 2528 Posts: 19
Aussie Guus
wrote on 10-May-06 08:00

Hi guys, I’m having trouble finalising my squad for the WC. Which players in contention should I definitely not pick and who are the bolters? Cheers Guus

Selecter
wrote on 10-May-06 08:06

Not Viddy his got no heart

Syd FC supporter
wrote on 10-May-06 09:04

I am very surprised that Milligan is being mentioned. I think its a gamble but I suppose England are gambling on a bloke who hasnt even played in the premiership

Aussie Guus
wrote on 10-May-06 11:03

Australia's 2006 World Cup Squad is: Goalkeepers: Ante Covic (Hammarby), Zeljko Kalac (AC Milan), Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough) Defenders: Michael Beauchamp (Central Coast Mariners), Stan Lazaridis (uncontracted), Mark Milligan (Sydney FC), Craig Moore (Newcastle United), Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers), Tony Popovic (Crystal Palace) Midfielders: Marco Bresciano (Parma), Tim Cahill (Everton), Scott Chipperfield (FC Basel), Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven), Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers), Vince Grella (Parma), Harry Kewell (Liverpool), Josip Skoko (Stoke City), Mile Sterjovski (FC Basel), Luke Wilkshire (Bristol) Forwards: John Aloisi (Alaves), Josh Kennedy (Dynamo Dresden), Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough).

wrote on 10-May-06 11:07

not a big fan of stan lazaridis - old, injury-prone and only effective at the edge.. johnny filan in for Covic.

Juice
wrote on 10-May-06 12:02

Brad Jones for Covic, though he is young. Not what I call a solid backline - Neill, Popovic ok and maybe Moore.

Brad Jones Is Rubbish
wrote on 10-May-06 12:03

Why no Milicivic and Elrich?

LiamW
wrote on 10-May-06 13:09

I think Elrich suffered after getting shipped off to Lyn in Norway. I am surprised Milligan got the nod over Millicivic. One has been playing in the Champions league the in the the A-League.... bizarre!

wrote on 10-May-06 14:01

>>I am surprised Milligan got the nod over Millicivic. One has been playing in the Champions league the in the the A-League.... bizarre! <<< agree. i forgot about Millicivic altogether. Brad Jones will get his time. Filan has been outstanding.

pidgeonpredator1
wrote on 10-May-06 16:01

John Filan,local home grown talent from ghfa should have made the squad.He has had great form consistently for Wigan for the last couple of years and would have to be disappointed.swap stan for Alvin Ceccoli who had a solid year for FC,good to see some young blood in the squad for years ahead but overall probably the best he could have selected.

Nutta
wrote on 10-May-06 18:06

Not saying I rate him but what happenned to Tony Vidmar? He wasn't selected nor mentioned as not making it. He played in both matches against Uruguay I think yet he hasn't made the squad. I wonder what changed their minds between the Uruguay matches and now? Personally I wouldn't have selected him either. He is old now and slow as a consequence. Recoba's terrible miss against us in Sydney one on one with Schwarzer in the early stages of the game came about because of a bad miss by Vidmar. He is full of passion though, even crying when we lost in Montevideo 4 years ago. As I stated, agree with non selection but suprised as to no mention of him in the aftermath of selection.

Barry Average
wrote on 10-May-06 20:01

Tony Vidmar has a heart problem and is flying back to Australia to have tests to see what is wrong with his dicky ticker. John Filan is in the mould of many goalies from the GHFA... short and fat. Schwarzer better be in top form with the guys defending in front of him. Popovic is too slow and is a liability. Neill is the only solid fullback. Lets hope he doesn't try and knee cap someone in the first game and leaves us with no decent full backs for the rest of the cup.

fruit loop
wrote on 10-May-06 21:06

maybe david carney should rate ahead of milligan -altho they play in diff position

Juice
wrote on 10-May-06 22:04

Barry Average "...many goalies from the GHFA... short and fat." Please explain

Phantom2000
wrote on 11-May-06 11:04

Syd FC supporter Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am very surprised that Milligan is being > mentioned. > > I think its a gamble but I suppose England are > gambling on a bloke who hasnt even played in the > premiership That guy who hasnt played in the premiership,walcott is an absolute gun and i would pick him for impact off the benach aswell, no doubt..

Jimmy Rooney
wrote on 11-May-06 16:02

As long as the young lads dont get stage fright i think we will win 1 game draw 1 lose the rest.We need a few more world cups yet to do anygood.Good luck Aussies. Jim

Aussie Guus
wrote on 11-May-06 17:09

Hey Jimmy, are you Wayne or Mickey's dad?

Neo
wrote on 12-May-06 17:08

Doesnt Archie play with you Guus at PSV?

Barry Average
wrote on 13-May-06 18:07

Juice, I'm talking about GHFA All Age goalies tend to be fat and they go into goals so they don't have to run around the park. Filan is not even close to International standards. Why does he wear that super sized goal shirt?

Author:
Subject: