Dynasty's in Premier League

Views: 1531 Posts: 12
Alan Swan
wrote on 03-Jul-21 10:06

Over the years it has been interesting to watch Premier League teams rise and fall in their domination of the PL competition. In the early days Meadowbank United with Paul Daley and his team of ex NSW Federation players, these guys were hard nuts who at a certain age decided that drinking at West Ryde and playing local football was a better option and of course these guys could play and were a powerhouse for us all to aspire to at the time, but many of us came off second best, I know this because I was First Grade Keeper at Normanhurst at the ripe age of 17 and I still remember their striker who reminded me of Dennis Lillee on steroids, putting 9 goals past me after saving at least 30 others on our first meeting, the second meeting may have seen me carried off after diving at the feet of the striker in wet conditions. A few years later North Ryde RSL began to dominate and they like Budgies had some very experienced ex state league players who may have played for Ravens at the time, then Epping YMCA began their dominance and after that North Epping Rangers had a few years with having success. In the 1990's dominance then started with Epping Eastwood at Boronia Park and lets face it only Epping Eastwood who liked playing on the postage stamp, but they dominated for quite a few years until their players began to promote/retire to over 35's and dominate there as well. From there we have seen clubs strengthen with the right mix of players and coach and we have also witnessed the relegation of once great clubs to Super League never to be seen in PL again. Maybe there are some others on the forum that have memories of the rise and fall of teams and clubs in GHFA Premier League ?

MaqWarrior
wrote on 05-Jul-21 12:09

You’re all witnessing the beginning of the greatest dynasty to hit the PL in decades! The Mighty Dragons will be dominating this comp for years, 2021 is only the beginning!

Juice
wrote on 05-Jul-21 17:02

Starting out in the mid 90s as a young GK, I dreaded Saturday afternoon spent at Boronia. I remember one game I had an absolute blinder of a game but still conceded 5 lol. I haven't seen too many teams like that EEW side of the 90s. No real x factor player or team of champions, just an outright champion team. In saying that, Toss, Whiteside, Meat (only ever knew them by nickname though Whiteside was his surname) but to name a couple were exceptional. Not just a notable side physically, they were strong, fit and fast everywhere across the park, but a skillful and cohesive unit I haven't seen since. For mine, the best side I've seen in my time in GHFA/NWSFA. Their reserves dominated as well. 2000s were STAs I'd say. When you say teams Alan, I look at the squad more so. STA were another all round squad that imposed from the get go. Alan Linley was one of the fastest strikers I've seen and a top bloke off the park too. Big Mickey Masulans and the rest of the man-mountains in the backline were near impossible to get around and if you did, you then had the impeccable Matty Backhouse in goals to deal with - he made saves in a couple of GFs we played against, that he had no right to save lol. Looking at the League Honours tab, it's no surprise to see STA figure regularly and when they didn't, they were always thereabouts. Their reserve grade was strong as well and set the first double double of my time in the league. Early to mid 2010s you can't go past KEN but not long enough to be a 'dynasty'. Even though it was an aging squad, still managed to get results time and time again and was always thereabouts. More recent times it's been WPH but 2-3 years isn't really a 'dynasty' either. Honourable mention to PEN though. Over the dominate 90s and certainly the 2000s, PEN was one of the most consistent teams though their reserve grade was a fair drop from 1st grade. Useless trivia, I believe PEN is the only team never to have been relegated from or not play in the PL since it's inception.

Keith Hackett
wrote on 05-Jul-21 17:03

MaqWarrior Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You’re all witnessing the beginning of the > greatest dynasty to hit the PL in decades! The > Mighty Dragons will be dominating this comp for > years, 2021 is only the beginning! MaqWarrior will leave empty-handed this year.

Alan Swan
wrote on 06-Jul-21 14:02

Juice, yes you are correct, it is the squad and not just one team, the late 90's and early 2000's is when I was refereeing PL First Grade and there we some clubs that I enjoyed refereeing because the really good teams had patterns to their play and you could usually read where the play was going to go, whether through midfield or out wide down the wings. Pennant Hills were always competitive in both grades and St Andrews were the same. I missed the Kenthurst Team era unfortunately as I moved to QLD to referee on the Gold Coast

schultz
wrote on 06-Jul-21 17:09

Juice Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Starting out in the mid 90s as a young GK, I > dreaded Saturday afternoon spent at Boronia. I > remember one game I had an absolute blinder of a > game but still conceded 5 lol. I haven't seen too > many teams like that EEW side of the 90s. No real > x factor player or team of champions, just an > outright champion team. In saying that, Toss, > Whiteside, Meat (only ever knew them by nickname > though Whiteside was his surname) but to name a > couple were exceptional. Not just a notable side > physically, they were strong, fit and fast > everywhere across the park, but a skillful and > cohesive unit I haven't seen since. For mine, the > best side I've seen in my time in GHFA/NWSFA. > Their reserves dominated as well. > Nice summary Juice. EEW also had two squads in PL in that time as well - a bit of friendly banter amongst the Mustards and the Blacks.

Juice
wrote on 06-Jul-21 18:05

schultz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Juice Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Starting out in the mid 90s as a young GK, I > > dreaded Saturday afternoon spent at Boronia. I > > remember one game I had an absolute blinder of > a > > game but still conceded 5 lol. I haven't seen > too > > many teams like that EEW side of the 90s. No > real > > x factor player or team of champions, just an > > outright champion team. In saying that, Toss, > > Whiteside, Meat (only ever knew them by > nickname > > though Whiteside was his surname) but to name a > > couple were exceptional. Not just a notable > side > > physically, they were strong, fit and fast > > everywhere across the park, but a skillful and > > cohesive unit I haven't seen since. For mine, > the > > best side I've seen in my time in GHFA/NWSFA. > > Their reserves dominated as well. > > > > > Nice summary Juice. > EEW also had two squads in PL in that time as well > - a bit of friendly banter amongst the Mustards > and the Blacks. Yeah EEW gold and EEW black. Think gold was the remnants of the original side and I think the current EEW PL is originated from black. Boronia twice in one season lol.

lord keithington of kenthurst iv
wrote on 07-Jul-21 11:09

kenthurst best dynstaty to date cant deny us that just look at our trophy cabinet

Alan Swan
wrote on 07-Jul-21 13:02

Keith, I wasn't around in the Kenthurst heydays, but what was it that changed in Kenthurst Club to bring them to a level of winning consistently, was it Juniors that came through the ranks or was it players from other areas who moved into Kenthurst who joined the club, I am interested as there is usually a reason why clubs go through winning times and some rough times when players leave due to many reasons ?

Alan Swan
wrote on 07-Jul-21 13:02

Keith, I wasn't around in the Kenthurst heydays, but what was it that changed in Kenthurst Club to bring them to a level of winning consistently, was it Juniors that came through the ranks or was it players from other areas who moved into Kenthurst who joined the club, I am interested as there is usually a reason why clubs go through winning times and some rough times when players leave due to many reasons ?

one reason
wrote on 13-Jul-21 06:06

Alan Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Keith, I wasn't around in the Kenthurst heydays, > but what was it that changed in Kenthurst Club to > bring them to a level of winning consistently, was > it Juniors that came through the ranks or was it > players from other areas who moved into Kenthurst > who joined the club, I am interested as there is > usually a reason why clubs go through winning > times and some rough times when players leave due > to many reasons ? they poached all the best players from other teams offering them free rego and even paying some before people call bs ng tried to poach me and offered me free rego when I said no he said he could pay me up to $50 a game I play at this level because im playing with my mates if I wanted to get paid and travel an hour each way for training every week I would play npl

NG Farrar
wrote on 13-Jul-21 07:06

one reason Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Alan Swan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Keith, I wasn't around in the Kenthurst > heydays, > > but what was it that changed in Kenthurst Club > to > > bring them to a level of winning consistently, > was > > it Juniors that came through the ranks or was > it > > players from other areas who moved into > Kenthurst > > who joined the club, I am interested as there > is > > usually a reason why clubs go through winning > > times and some rough times when players leave > due > > to many reasons ? > > they poached all the best players from other teams > offering them free rego and even paying some > before people call bs ng tried to poach me and > offered me free rego when I said no he said he > could pay me up to $50 a game > I play at this level because im playing with my > mates if I wanted to get paid and travel an hour > each way for training every week I would play npl NG must have been running a successful enterprise to be able to give you a wad of cash. a fifty? that only covers a pie, a coke & petrol

Author:
Subject: