Tipping Competition
Co-sponsor of the
Golden Boot
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Grand Final Predictions
Posted by: Fool ()
Date: October 15, 2020 03:58PM

That means absolutely nothing. GF's - it's anyone's game in a one off match. A win is a win

Just because it isn't a blowout scoreline doesn't take away from the fact that they've blown the competition away the past 2 seasons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Turbo ()
Date: October 15, 2020 04:18PM

Fool Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That means absolutely nothing. GF's - it's
> anyone's game in a one off match. A win is a win
>
> Just because it isn't a blowout scoreline doesn't
> take away from the fact that they've blown the
> competition away the past 2 seasons.

Easy there turbo. Whilst they may have been the benchmark I wouldn’t go as far to say “blown away”. EEW this season pushed them to the very last minute in both premiership and GF. They do have quality but I don’t believe it’s as far above everyone else as you make it out to be.

Posted by: Slab ()
Date: October 15, 2020 04:50PM

Lets be honest,

Premiership was wrapped up with 5 weeks to go.

WPH took their foot off the pedal to allow EEW to catch up.

Even in the grand final, the WPH Coaches subs were to rotate the squad and give them game time, unlike EEW who squeezed as much as they could out of Oli Green.

Posted by: Squad strength ()
Date: October 15, 2020 04:55PM

WPH ressies are full of youngsters and generally play better “pure” football than their first team. Nothing wrong with any style of play of course but they regularly build up from the back and play through midfield. Watch their first goal v EEW for an example of what they’ve done this year when I’ve seen them.

Posted by: Exceptional ()
Date: October 15, 2020 05:22PM

If this has taught us anything, it's that filming games is the way to go. So top class comments, analysis and discussion here. Really refreshing.

Posted by: False narrative ()
Date: October 15, 2020 07:06PM

This narrative that WPH only plays longball to win games is amusing..

Even in the gf yes they used a few balls over the top to good effect, but the speed of their one-two touch build-up play from back to middle to front is miles better than anyone in the comp and they clearly play with purpose whenever they get possession, it's great to watch.

Posted by: Change? ()
Date: October 15, 2020 07:14PM

mark/juice/anyone what needs to change in terms of the way coaches approach defending? A lot of discussion around the problems, what are the solutions?

Posted by: Juice ()
Date: October 15, 2020 07:42PM

haha you're asking a ref lol? Best defensive structure I played behind in GHFA PL was with KEN which also included Nate Gray in the squad who ran the show for NOR the year they won it conceding only 6 goals in 18 games. Wasn't complicated and with excellent communication with everyone knowing their job on the pitch, it did the job well at park football level. They played high but compact. Opposite wing backs tucked in making it difficult to open up. Switching play, simply meant the wing back moving out and the opposite tucking in and so on. Defensive line moved as the gaffer described, like a piece of rope in two hands moving side to side. If a team could switch the ball very quickly or maybe a long diagonal ball to a speedy wide winger coming from a deeper position, then teams could get in behind the defence but again the line could move quickly to shut the space down. Simple enough but was very effective and supported well with a mobile and hard working midfield to close even more of the space down.

Anyway, that was my two cents. I'm not a PL coach, but for mine the difference at KEN to the 7 or 8 coaches that went through WPH in my time there, was that every player had and knew their job in the position they played, and from a systems point of view, it made defending a hell of a lot easier, especially from my perspective as a GK.

Date: October 15, 2020 08:06PM

STA when they came up into PL and for many years, also had a phenomenal defence. Closed down space exceptionally fast particularly the second and third phase of plays and then countered with a quick short passing game through the middle to speedy wide midfielders that easily got in behind opposition defences. Both centre backs were man-mountains and very organised.

Similar to PEN in the Kurt Morrison era. Pressed fast and as a unit and transitioned into attack with a crisp short passing game and speedy outlets through the strikers and wide mids. Always a deep defended cleaning up. No team in this comp just yet, transitions as fast or effectively as that Penno era. Pretty to watch unless you were the opposition GK as I was lol (will go on record to say WPH didn't beat a PEN side in 10 seasons I believe - a few draws and a lot of losses). Interestingly a lot of PL sides played a deep defender back then, almost sweeper like that snuffed out many a long ball whether straight or diagonal.

Posted by: Different ()
Date: October 16, 2020 07:25AM

But what can todays teams do different juice?

Posted by: Why ()
Date: October 16, 2020 08:42AM

Why should they do anything different? The game has changed since the 1890’s when everyone dribbled and nobody passed - does that matter?

Do you really think today’s players dream of emulating the mighty EEW or Kenthurst of yesteryear? It’s amateur football for god’s sake.

I’d love to hear you explain to WPH how after doing a double double double they need to change the way they play to get the undying love and respect of half a dozen people on this forum!!!

Posted by: Steady ()
Date: October 16, 2020 09:19AM

Why Wrote:
> Why should they do anything different? The game
> has changed since the 1890’s when everyone
> dribbled and nobody passed - does that matter?
>
> Do you really think today’s players dream of
> emulating the mighty EEW or Kenthurst of
> yesteryear? It’s amateur football for god’s
> sake.
>
> I’d love to hear you explain to WPH how after
> doing a double double double they need to change
> the way they play to get the undying love and
> respect of half a dozen people on this forum!!!

Ease up champ, there are at least 8 people on the forum

Date: October 16, 2020 10:00AM

Why - I don't think anyone is saying WPH needs to do anything different lol. As you said 2 double doubles. Other teams on the other hand... With tongue in cheek though, if teams did emulate defensive ways of yesteryear EEW or KEN, the current WPH may not necessarily find their dominance come so easy, they may still dominate, who knows, just saying winking smiley

Different - previous generations of GHFA PL didn't defend so high, leaving huge spaces to exploit if the opposition was good enough to do so - the current WPH is good enough to do so. Teams didn't press opposition in their half, instead retreated (sat) back into their half, regaining structure and closing space. Only pressing once the opposition came into their half. I shake my head refereeing ressies and lining 1st grade at the needless running of strikers and higher midfielders trying to press high with no joy more often than not because it didn't happen as a unit. In saying that, the ball playing quality of a lot of backs at the moment, isn't much chop so sometimes it pays off. But when you get a side like WPH that can play a decent short passing game, they shred teams that press high where the individual players really don't know how to press high as a unit, and so WPH makes you pay - helps that they have a striker who actually converts most of his chances as well. I'm not suggesting teams regress in football styles to the old days of the whole team getting behind the ball including strikers, sitting back and working defensively as a unit and having a deep centre back aka a sweeper, but over 90 minutes of football, especially at park level, a team needs to move in gears. It can't all be 100km/h in 6th gear, pressing high etc etc. There are times when the game needs more control and adaptation to swings in momentum. Press high at times, sit back at others. This business of end to end football, predominantly through long balls, diagonal or otherwise, is not sustainable for 90 minutes. A team that can do that, will challenge WPH. WPH has a a number of really good players but not x factor like. They are well coached and structured, and play and understand a good brand of football, and now, has a winning mentality. It's hard to break that. I lined WPH v EPP and I've had a few EPP games this season so I could see the difference... I'm sorry to say lads, EPP looked like they just turned up to go through the motions compared to other opposition they played in the season... WPH put them to the sword... even before kick off.

Anyway, I'm out. Was a different season, that reminded me of the days playing when there actually was only 14 games in the season - we played a 3 game round robin semi final back then and there were only 8 teams in the comp. Enjoy the off season and may see some of you at summer soccer at Christie. Well done WPH.

Posted by: Why part 2 ()
Date: October 16, 2020 11:55AM

To respond Juice, that’s a great analysis on pressing of teams. It drives me nuts to see the needless pressing of 1-3 players with a huge gap behind them that the opposition plays into. Transition to the middle third becomes so easy.

Also agree that being structured and understanding roles - regardless of style - is the key and the “quality” of the coaching at some clubs is laughable - or to be fair, perhaps the players simply don’t listen?

Posted by: summary ()
Date: October 16, 2020 07:29PM

"that's not the fault of any club but a by-product of the games development".

this point by mark practically summarises this whole discussion. the game has been influenced so much that our whole national curriculum became revolutionised. you barely see any mention around the art of individual or collective defending.

I really worry about the game's future in Australia... The results and the development of players are stagnating if not lowering for a long time now. we've tried to play like the the dutch and spanish and yet no progress has been made in terms of producing midfielders who know how to utilise space, vision and creativity and in the process we've lost the principles of defending.

Realistically players that are to be promoted to Sups or Prem's should have 90% of the basics covered and mastered with only minor adjustments to their game regarding style and structure of play. that's not happening anymore. alot of the boys that have been promoted from juniors don't have a clue as juice mentioned regarding the epping defence.

Date: October 18, 2020 12:56PM

Summary, if you’re referring to juniors within a club progressing to their SL or PL squads, a lot of junior sides are coached by dads and mums or volunteers. Many clubs and FNSW offer coaching courses which is fantastic but they’re not always taken up. What these ‘coaches’ see on tv or what they were brought up knowing is transferred and not always the best. I know some 13 and 14 coaches get training ideas from YouTube. Not a bad thing, I’ve done that for my son’s u11 team I coach where I can’t seem to ‘relate’/‘connect’ with their understanding - they’re div 2 and more inclined to have fun lol. I refereed an u18/1 game this year that blew my mind. If someone had of said can you do this u18 game I would’ve assumed it was div 3 or lower! I think a lot more needs to happen in grassroots coaching for there to be any transference of knowledge and skills.

Only knowing of WPH from my history as a player, the club had waves of quality juniors come through. Every 3 to 5 years, they’re be a gun div 1 side come through that some would filter through to the PL. When I was playing, they’re really was only one good crop that came through but this has increased in more recent years and showing in the PL. Helps to that WPH is a big club.

Posted by: Dyson ()
Date: November 09, 2020 06:51PM

Alfie Wrote:
> What a great game of football and fantastic to be
> a part of it. The loss hurts more and more as the
> days go by. A well deserved win by WPH by the end,
> they should've been completely out of sight by
> halftime if not for Buttrey's superb display. It
> would've been a great game to watch for the
> neutral and it was great to be a part of it,
> albeit on the losing side.
>
> For what it's worth, on behalf of the club and our
> supporters, I'd like to apologise for the
> behaviour of the spectator who threw the can of
> beer. That's completely unacceptable and
> disgraceful behaviour and we will be looking into
> the matter internally trying to identify the
> culprit. We don't want to be associated with this
> individual and if identified, we'll certainly take
> action. I personally wasn't aware of it happening
> until reading this thread this morning and am
> saddened by it.
>
>
> Well done to WPH on a fantastic season in both
> grades.

Found the culprit yet or has it been swept under the carpet?

Posted by: Toovey ()
Date: November 10, 2020 04:23AM

I told you nothing would happen to this bloke.

Posted by: lord mouyis ()
Date: November 18, 2020 04:14AM

Alfie Wrote:
> What a great game of football and fantastic to be
> a part of it. The loss hurts more and more as the
> days go by. A well deserved win by WPH by the end,
> they should've been completely out of sight by
> halftime if not for Buttrey's superb display. It
> would've been a great game to watch for the
> neutral and it was great to be a part of it,
> albeit on the losing side.
>
> For what it's worth, on behalf of the club and our
> supporters, I'd like to apologise for the
> behaviour of the spectator who threw the can of
> beer. That's completely unacceptable and
> disgraceful behaviour and we will be looking into
> the matter internally trying to identify the
> culprit. We don't want to be associated with this
> individual and if identified, we'll certainly take
> action. I personally wasn't aware of it happening
> until reading this thread this morning and am
> saddened by it.
>
>
> Well done to WPH on a fantastic season in both
> grades.

classic eew mentality
dealing with it "internally"
probably going to give them extra beers at the end of season
where it should be being dealt with by the police as its an obvious act of assault

even when eew are 'acting' nice you can always tell theyre grubs

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 11?