Referee's System

Views: 943 Posts: 19
Captain obvious
wrote on 26-Jul-20 22:02

If you hate to continue it then why do it dumbass?

Stop Talking
wrote on 26-Jul-20 22:04

Hate to continue to talk about referees and the standard of refereeing in general but here we go. From reading through most of the comments about referees, its clear there are two category of average refs: 1. Old referees who don't have the legs to keep up to play and therefore miss fouls and can't justify their decisions. 2. Young referees who can't at times keep control of a game when things get heated. The rest are pretty much decent or very good. A few minor 50/50 calls but you're pretty much satisfied that they will do a good job when you see them walk onto the pitch. The idea was introduced years ago but would clubs as well as the referee assoc. be comfortable if we rated referees (reserves and firsts) where coaches/captains put general comments in. I.e. the WRR vs WPH game, both referees get rated and then coaches/captains get to write comments justifying the rating... I know that the referees have assessors (Tom Forrest assessed a referee last year from one of the matches we played in). Maybe they could prioritise which referees they should be looking based on the ratings. If a referee is consistently putting in crap performances, he gets assessed, the assessor sees whether the ratings are justified and he gets dropped (or stays if the ratings are unjustified) if necessary. The same would go for young referees being promoted.

Talking Head
wrote on 27-Jul-20 11:00

There were assessment cards many, many years ago that each manager could fill out after the game that was sent to the Football Association who would then pass onto the refs but the GHFA decided it didn't want the work collecting them all and no doubt clogged up their PO Box. If you made an online system today it would need to be filled out by both teams every single round in every single Grade not just the 4 games a season when you want to vent after a loss for it to be effective. The PL first grade refs bounce between PL,SL,AA1/2 and 35/1's. PL Ressies refs bounce around even more AA grades.

Hamish
wrote on 27-Jul-20 17:04

This needs to be talked about. The refereeing is not all bad. Majority of it is better than most other districts. It's clear there are a select few that aren't good enough. A system that has been described would be quite good. Coaches need to make sure they of sound judgment when doing the ratings otherwise the concept goes down the drain quite quickly...

Facts
wrote on 27-Jul-20 20:00

There won't be enough reffs in the very near future when this "generation" of older PL reffs retire... so no point wasting time rating anyone to be honest

Stop Talking
wrote on 27-Jul-20 20:00

Younger referees are not being promoted/not being given a fair go.

Juice.
wrote on 27-Jul-20 20:03

Be thankful you had refs last week... there is a larger than normal level of low coverage for whatever reason.

Cheers Mark
wrote on 27-Jul-20 21:01

Thanks Mark and Not So for the clarification. Sometimes you see a really good reserves referee, referee for a couple of years and just wish they did a couple of first grade games because there's no doubt some of them are up to the challenge.

Not so
wrote on 27-Jul-20 21:04

Stop Talking Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Younger referees are not being promoted/not being > given a fair go. Not the case. Good young refs are given a start on ressies as young as 17. There are several first grade regulars yet to have their 21st. Many of the best young ones go on to state league because of good local experience, and a few locals have gone all the way to A-League and FIFA. PL refs are assessed every year and if they need to drop, they do. But if lots are away one week then they'll call up all age refs, which could include ex-pl refs on the way down.

Mark Clattenberg
wrote on 27-Jul-20 21:06

Juice. Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Be thankful you had refs last week... there is a > larger than normal level of low coverage for > whatever reason. I feel like this is the 6th time you've had to say this on here... It's embarrassing how many times this message needs to be repeated. The referee assoc. have their proper processes in place. They hear about and see referees based on multiple sources (including sometimes this forum). I don't know how much more effective this system could be, that already isn't happening already. Also it would also have to mandatory that coaches/captain go through a ref course so they know what they're talking about. Reality is, sometimes referees have bad games. It happens. @Stop Talking - That's a myth. There have been more younger referees refereeing in the opening 4 rounds than in previous years. All our fantastic young refs, mostly go to FNSW to referee NPL. Then you have injuries and schedule conflicts (most young refs also play AA as well as ref). The others (like me) are just gaining more and more exposure and experience.

Juice
wrote on 27-Jul-20 22:05

Juice. Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Be thankful you had refs last week... there is a > larger than normal level of low coverage for > whatever reason. Please don’t pretend to be me.

THE ROCK
wrote on 27-Jul-20 22:05

Having played in a few different associations prior to GHFA, i can say with confidence that refs make a massive difference in this league. The quality we see week in week out (weather you like it or not) is pretty bloody good.. Yes refs will make mistakes, but players/coaches etc all make mistakes. Part of the game deal with it! I think the idea of offering comments in regards to ref's performances would benefit both refs and the association. Obviously you will get some idiots who abuse it, but i think that you would work that out pretty quickly and ignore the commentary regarding that. What i don't think gets recognised enough on here is actual good performances by refs and assistants. The amount of time that I hear how shit of a job a ref is doing compared to hey ref ABC did a really good job. I'm happy to even build a form the mail through to a nominated refs email address if we get the nod from the ref's bosses. But i pose this question to you all, how many of you are going to use it to tell your life story in regards to how much you know the current rules vs the actual current refs, and how many of you are actually going to provide a non bias view of the situation post match. If you can't do this, then the exercise is a waste of time.

grant night
wrote on 28-Jul-20 15:07

Hamish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This needs to be talked about. The refereeing is > not all bad. Majority of it is better than most > other districts. It's clear there are a select few > that aren't good enough. > A system that has been described would be quite > good. Coaches need to make sure they of sound > judgment when doing the ratings otherwise the > concept goes down the drain quite quickly... stop gloating.. not really better than most e.g. Northern Suburbs/Kuringai

clarifying rules
wrote on 30-Jul-20 11:04

is the rule about dissent being an automatic 10 minute sin bin still in effect? or can the refs just pick and choose what dissent is worthy of 10 in the bin and what isn't?

THE ROCK
wrote on 30-Jul-20 12:06

Like all rules, refs use their discretion as to when to enforce it. Dissent towards an official can be a red card if they think it's worthy.

Keith Hackett
wrote on 30-Jul-20 13:09

clarifying rules Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > is the rule about dissent being an automatic 10 > minute sin bin still in effect? > > or can the refs just pick and choose what dissent > is worthy of 10 in the bin and what isn't? 10min is for dissent only - offff course they ref can pick/choose what he wants to hear/don't

PL Observer
wrote on 30-Jul-20 14:09

Gone are the days when PL players would share some footballing-related banter on here. This forum, like the PL is dead. Long live Bushboys.

Last year
wrote on 01-Aug-20 18:02

THE ROCK Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Like all rules, refs use their discretion as to > when to enforce it. > > Dissent towards an official can be a red card if > they think it's worthy. But it wasn't at the refs discretion last year The rule was that if they were giving a yellow for dissent it was automatically 10 in the bin It seems to have changed this year though

Mark Clattenberg
wrote on 01-Aug-20 18:08

Last year Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > THE ROCK Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Like all rules, refs use their discretion as to > > when to enforce it. > > > > Dissent towards an official can be a red card > if > > they think it's worthy. > > But it wasn't at the refs discretion last year > The rule was that if they were giving a yellow for > dissent it was automatically 10 in the bin > It seems to have changed this year though It hasn't changed, the same rules apply. Dissent (Y2) is punishable by 10 in the bin. It wouldn't surprised me that there are some referees that don't follow through with this though. The LOTG Subsection around what constitutes Unsporting Behaviour (Y1), is that you can be given a yellow card if the referee believes you're showing a lack of respect for the game. There are some referees who give yellow cards for dissent under this subsection and justify as that. It's a sneaky move and I've seen it happen. It probably shouldn't happen though. Flag it with the Association if you believe there are some inconsistencies in this ruling from week to week.

Author:
Subject: