A-league grows bigger

Views: 2837 Posts: 14
a-league
wrote on 01-May-08 10:00

Today in the paper there is a story about the FFA planning to expand the league from 8 to 12 teams with possible new teams from townsville, gold coast, western sydney and melbourne. ultimately they aim for a 14 team comp apparently.

I hope that the clubs with exculsivity rights like sydney and melbourne will cooperate to allow a new team from each of these places.
Sign me up as a western sydney fan - you muppets can have bling fc all to yourselves! I already have the thongs and stubbies (obligatory supporters gear), can even regrow my mullet if needed.

Stir-Jofskie
wrote on 01-May-08 10:00

Go Derby County FC..

PB
wrote on 01-May-08 10:02

One would think Sydney FC would welcome a Western Sydney team, cannot see them opposing it.

Derby games would be massive!

version 5
wrote on 01-May-08 10:05

keen to see the day when the game takes it rightful place atop all others in this country, with more grounds, fans plenty of coverage (free to air please you rich basturds) and most importantly, quality football played by home grown talent. reckon i will live that long?

rade
wrote on 01-May-08 11:03

PB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> One would think Sydney FC would welcome a Western
> Sydney team, cannot see them opposing it.
>
> Derby games would be massive!

Apart from the derby game you mentioned, I can't think of one other reason why Sydney FC would welcome a 2nd team?!? Surely they would prefer limited competition for supporters.

Les Murray's Football Focus ran a story on FC ramping up their community presence in the western areas to get a stranglehold before the new team arrives.

nathan Brown
wrote on 01-May-08 11:08

i think i would rather see a side in Wollongong rather thatn townsville.. seriously how many ppl actually play up there.. and surely not much quality i think it is and always will be a NRL area as there is a large proportion of toress Straight islanders etc....

and i think the Gong has one of the best home grown tallents... and aparently a billionaire wiling to sponser a team.. i would like to see a western sydney team that would be able to play at a new stadium built just for Football... that seats 40+ to further help our bid to host 2018 WC...

bantalad
wrote on 01-May-08 12:07

sydney have a five year deal to keep sydney all to themselves, probably insist on seeing it out. good for them, not so good for the development of the league.

regarding stadiums, just take over CUA. penrith are poo anyway!

PB
wrote on 01-May-08 15:00

Yeah coaching this year.

Hopefully we do win it this year, we shall see

YMCA YRU HERE
wrote on 01-May-08 15:05

PB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> One would think Sydney FC would welcome a Western
> Sydney team, cannot see them opposing it.
>
> Derby games would be massive!

Hey PB,

Don't you play for YMCA? I thought this was the PL forum?? ;)

You boys going to win this year or what?

YMCA YRU HERE
wrote on 01-May-08 15:05

Best of luck with that.

Word on the street is D Carson has been promoted to 1sts? can you confirm or deny?

PB
wrote on 01-May-08 15:09

D Carson...hahahahahaha!!!!

Dick Tracey
wrote on 12-Jul-19 11:04

Clubs in Australia will be allowed to revert to their traditional names and use ethnic symbols after Football Federation Australia released new 'Inclusivity Principles for Club Identity' to replace the unpopular National Club Identity Policy (NCIP). == There you go. back to the days of old - Sydney Croatia. Gladesville Yirros. Marrickville Macedonians. Lakemba Lebanese.

TG
wrote on 12-Jul-19 16:09

Can any one remember Bonnyriggs old name.

NV
wrote on 12-Jul-19 19:09

Think it was Avala Sports Club

Author:
Subject: