Don't hit the ref

Views: 1332 Posts: 6
oldbuggers
wrote on 01-May-06 16:03

Maybe a timely reminder not to take the game too seriously: A reserve-grade Victorian football striker will spend at least nine months in jail for king hitting a referee after being given a red card. A judge told Anastasios Chrisomallis he had brought shame on himself, his club and the sport, and said violence against referees and umpires would not be tolerated. Mill Park was one goal down against Hoppers Crossing in a Football Federation of Victoria match at Mossfield Reserve, in Melbourne's outer west, on July 23 last year, the Victorian County Court heard today. Hoppers Crossing was awarded a penalty at the 25 minute mark and captain Chris Chrisomallis yelled:"You are pathetic, ref." Referee Mark Ower yellow carded the captain, whose younger brother, Anastasios Chrisomallis, then kicked the ball out of play and was also issued with a yellow card. The younger brother had to be restrained by teammates and told Mr Ower: "If you send me off, see what happens." After he was red carded, Anastasios Chrisomallis ran over to Mr Ower, who had his back turned, and king hit him, the court heard. Mr Ower suffered a fractured cheek, nose and sunken right eye socket. Chrisomallis today pleaded guilty to one count of recklessly causing serious injury. The charge carries a maximum penalty of 15 years' imprisonment. Judge John Nixon jailed Chrisomallis for two years, with a minimum non parole period of nine months. "Yours was an unprovoked, cowardly and savage attack on a referee performing his duties in the course of a match on the soccer field," he said. "This callous attack on the unsuspecting referee has brought shame on yourself, your family, your club and the sport of soccer itself." Judge Nixon said emotions often ran high on sporting fields but that anger should not be allowed to translate into violence. "A referee in soccer and umpires in football are sacrosanct," he said. "Violent physical action against a referee cannot and will not be tolerated." Judge Nixon said Chrisomallis had learnt little from a road rage incident in 2002, when he threatened another driver with a baseball bat. Defence counsel said her client, now aged 24, was devastated by his life ban from soccer, a sport he had played since the age of six. She said he was deeply remorseful. "It is a serious breach of perhaps one of the golden rules of sport and it is a serious breach of criminal law - he understands that." In a letter of apology to Mr Ower, Chrisomallis said he was deeply sorry for his behaviour. "I now realise that you were simply doing your job," he said. "Soccer is a wonderful sport and I sincerely hope that this incident has not affected your passion for the game." Outside the court, Mr Ower said he had recently begun refereeing again and was satisfied with the sentence. "It sends a very clear message, regardless of the sport (that) attacking an umpire is just not on," he said. He said he was concerned about junior players in soccer, football and netball. "We have got to look after the umpires because if we don't have them then we are not going to have a game in a couple of years time," he said

Juice
wrote on 01-May-06 16:09

This Anastasios Chrisomallis sounds like a perfect case for retrospective abortion!... Mum must be proud

Batts'
wrote on 01-May-06 21:03

What am I laughing about ?? Oldbuggar is not me, and I would cry if HFC got back up but i think Mac Uni are on top.

juicyLucy
wrote on 01-May-06 21:05

batts don't laugh..HFC will be promoted next season

Phantom2000
wrote on 02-May-06 08:01

hahah HFC wont be back up... Mac Uni for sure..

Barry Average
wrote on 02-May-06 11:06

Kenthurst might be the surprise packet. In one of their loses they hit the wood work 5 times. I don't think HFC can keep all of their players away from Christie Park on Tuesday nights to win the SL, especially with their slow start to the season. They like to be front runners, as for coming from behind .....

Author:
Subject: