Best GHFA players I refereed

Views: 2355 Posts: 22
Forrest GHFRA # 649
wrote on 12-Aug-17 12:09

Someone asked me to post my best XI from GHFA PL over the last 27 years.

(Don't worry - I will not be posting regularly).

I am short on wing-backs but these are the most memorable players I have refereed.

I started Premier League first grade refereeing in 1990.

GK Steven Wise (PEN)
Mick Masulans (STA)
Don Allen (PEN)
Ian MacLennon (EEW)
Luke Roodenburg (KEN)
Kurt Morrison (PEN)
Michael Taylor (EEW)
Brian Ellem (NER) Captain
Dax (STA)
David Batten (Meadowbank UTD, NER, NMH) Coach and player
Byran Raeburn (NER and EEW)

Andrew Stradford (EEW)
Rick Giometti (RAV)
Kevin Iredale (WPH)

For the record my most memorable send off was Mark Viduka in 1992/3 first of the Summer night NSL comps - playing for Melbourne Croatia (as they were then) against the AIS (Australian Institute of Sport) in Canberra. Viduka was returning from Injury and playing in the NSL Reserves known as the National Youth League two late tackls = 2 x YC. In the same game I cautioned Craig Moore (AIS).

I knew they were both good but had no idea they would both become captains of Australia!

Thanks and goodbye from my beloved centre circle!

Tom

Cool dude
wrote on 12-Aug-17 17:07

No one Cares dude

Jake Currie
wrote on 12-Aug-17 18:03

What about me?

Jacque Currie
wrote on 12-Aug-17 18:05

But what about me?

History
wrote on 12-Aug-17 18:08

Right...so Kane Glavicar scored 25 goals and missed a fair few games this year, Nick Hugh scored 20 in his first season here and neither was included. This comps either become a joke or both are playing below where they should be. Get out

Ball Boy
wrote on 12-Aug-17 18:09

You won't even make the ball boy after you performance today!! Take a look at your self, you muppet.

Not even funny
wrote on 12-Aug-17 19:04

Ball Boy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> You won't even make the ball boy after you
> performance today!!
> Take a look at your self, you muppet.

Troll; were you molestered as a child??

Juice
wrote on 12-Aug-17 20:04

History Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Right...so Kane Glavicar scored 25 goals and > missed a fair few games this year, Nick Hugh > scored 20 in his first season here and neither was > included. This comps either become a joke or both > are playing below where they should be. Get out Good young players yes, but not in the same league as that list sorry, not yet anyway. Tom, roodenburg never played pl in the 90s, and whilst he was at blacktown city most of his playing days where he was a consistently quality striker, if you're going on GHFA PL time, he wouldn't make that list. I don't remember his actual name, but 'Meat', I think everyone called him, from EEW would be on that list - God Boronia was a nightmare to play at back then. Good list but Tom.

Tom
wrote on 12-Aug-17 21:08

Thanks Juice - that was list for the entire 30 years - it was a generation when GHFA teams won C of C and even Australian Amateur comps. Also happened in 80s with the great YMCA teams I was doing lines on as a junior. Kurt Morrison, big Mick, Dax and Brian Ellem all played into the 2000s. Roodenburg was a worthy inclusion (obviously this is just my view and I did not see everyone as often as I saw others). Out of here now. Tom

schultz
wrote on 12-Aug-17 22:06

Juice Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > History Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Right...so Kane Glavicar scored 25 goals and > > missed a fair few games this year, Nick Hugh > > scored 20 in his first season here and neither > was > > included. This comps either become a joke or > both > > are playing below where they should be. Get out > > > Good young players yes, but not in the same league > as that list sorry, not yet anyway. > > Tom, roodenburg never played pl in the 90s, and > whilst he was at blacktown city most of his > playing days where he was a consistently quality > striker, if you're going on GHFA PL time, he > wouldn't make that list. I don't remember his > actual name, but 'Meat', I think everyone called > him, from EEW would be on that list - God Boronia > was a nightmare to play at back then. Good list > but Tom. Juice, believe it or not "Meat" is "Hoff's" brother, he's currently playing 035's for Putney.

Not Kanes Agent
wrote on 13-Aug-17 18:02

So Tom only ref'd WPH's twice this year and from just two games played would expect to have him in an all time best team against players who consistently performed in GHFA, State Cups and COC's over 7 to 15 years which all the mentioned players had in the GHFA? Wow.

Hally
wrote on 14-Aug-17 07:07

Meat is the Brother of Hoff and Moby and played in the midfield for EEW in the early 90's when they were at their strongest. Brian Ellem played with NER for two years and had come from Captaining Apia Leichardt and spent time at Blacktown City. I think Tom has got pretty close but one major exclusion for me would have been Dave Taylor who played at the Y and in later years with NER.

wrong
wrote on 14-Aug-17 08:00

Not Kanes Agent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So Tom only ref'd WPH's twice this year and from > just two games played would expect to have him in > an all time best team against players who > consistently performed in GHFA, State Cups and > COC's over 7 to 15 years which all the mentioned > players had in the GHFA? Wow. consistently performed in CoCs? ghfa have won it twice in like 40 years thats a great performance

Current XI
wrote on 14-Aug-17 09:02

How about a best XI current era Tom?

try again turner
wrote on 14-Aug-17 09:05

hes not gonna put you in the team turner kane has scored more goals this season than you have the last 4 its actually quite surprising eew have done so well with you up front

Ball Handler
wrote on 14-Aug-17 10:05

Ball Boy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You won't even make the ball boy after you > performance today!! > Take a look at your self, you muppet. The game changed when the ball boy woke up and caught EEW napping. Couldn't have been more perfect timing!

Catfield
wrote on 14-Aug-17 10:09

Looks like Joey couldn't get down.

Right
wrote on 14-Aug-17 12:09

Tom would have seen "individual players" perform and stand out in State Amateur Cup games and COC games on top of playing local GHFA games. Plenty of teams made it to at least semi finals for either Amateur and COC comps where some of his team would have stood out against talented opposition. EEW made COC final 3 times in 4 years and played 6 local grand finals in a row for example.

Reality check
wrote on 15-Aug-17 02:02

try again turner Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hes not gonna put you in the team turner > > kane has scored more goals this season than you > have the last 4 > its actually quite surprising eew have done so > well with you up front What's the difference between Kane and turner? Turner is playing this weekend. Does that hurt mr 25+ goals?

Nick
wrote on 15-Aug-17 10:05

Question. Would Kane and Nick score that many goals playing for a team like the tigers and their structure?.

failure
wrote on 15-Aug-17 11:08

Nick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Question. > Would Kane and Nick score that many goals playing > for a team like the tigers and their structure?. ofcourse they would they amount of times in just the 2 times we played tigers that bryce and turner could have scored if they were faster/didnt dive/could actually finish was laughable if you cant score 10 goals in 18 games at this level especially when youre playing in a top 4 team youve failed as a striker

Tom
wrote on 15-Aug-17 18:05

Hally Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Meat is the Brother of Hoff and Moby and played in > the midfield for EEW in the early 90's when they > were at their strongest. > Brian Ellem played with NER for two years and had > come from Captaining Apia Leichardt and spent time > at Blacktown City. > I think Tom has got pretty close but one major > exclusion for me would have been Dave Taylor who > played at the Y and in later years with NER. I agree that Dave T was a great player at the Y - but it was when I was a Lino (now AR). I had to draw the line somewhere.

Author:
Subject: