Thoughts on the season so far?

Views: 1389 Posts: 16
EOval
wrote on 30-May-17 10:04

Biggest surprises and disappointments?

timmykruse
wrote on 30-May-17 11:00

NERDS must have recruited well then.. but generally speaking the quality of PL has declined yr after yr; gone are the days of powerhouse rav, nor, wph, eew now its just sloppy football all round

suprises and disappointments
wrote on 30-May-17 11:04

nerds would have to be the biggest surprise for me only a point off first place and the games they have lost they only lost by 1 goal their centre mid is probably the best player ive seen in the pl for a while on the other end hawks are definitely the biggest disapointment after the way they have been going the last couple of seasons and with kenthurst moving to the hills comp i thought they would have picked up a few players and had a very good run this season. and then they go and draw against mac uni and havnt won a game since the 3rd round.

random
wrote on 31-May-17 09:01

apparently the cm for nerds the one everyone is talking about just showed up to nerds trianing pre season and asked if he could play wouldnt really call that good recruiting haha more luck

Nerds
wrote on 31-May-17 10:08

He turned thinking it was the tigers preseason.

lucky
wrote on 31-May-17 11:02

lucky for him then as well

rumours
wrote on 31-May-17 13:09

North Eppings main method of recruiting quality players is to hang around the TAB machines at the pub and see who puts the most on the dogs

Tru
wrote on 31-May-17 14:01

Thats not even a rumour. Nick hugh put a forty on a roughie and we signed him up. Dog lost though

big bucks
wrote on 31-May-17 14:07

I heard it was $200 on the dog and it got up

onlooker
wrote on 01-Jun-17 09:07

When you have players who have bad control,poor passing options, no vision , no understanding of transitional play or positional play you have not got a very good league. I have watched a few games this season and players first touch and passing is very poor to say the least. I definitely say the standard has dropped considerably from the 90's and 00's. Most teams are reliant on speed and aggression with no football brain attached.

evolution
wrote on 01-Jun-17 15:09

i think you have your graduation goggles on still old timer now that you look back everything seems all rosy and perfect i agree this year is well below par, but last year any of the top 6 teams in the ghfa would have beaten any of the 90s champions the game has evolved

THE ROCK
wrote on 02-Jun-17 11:03

Onlooker - You can't tell me that the Kenthurst team of a few years back played the prettiest brand of football. They were very effective and had the want to win, but the football wasn't "barcelona style". Football @ this level is not about pretty, its about effectiveness. So many factors, mainly surface & conditions that will impact a game. You want to win at this level, you need to play to the conditions week in week out(sometimes thats not pretty).

winning
wrote on 02-Jun-17 13:09

to true rock too many coaches in this comp are worried about possession and passes completed where some coaches like the kenthurst coach knew what needed to be done to win and did it were all adults or pretty much there we dont need to be developed, the coach doesnt need to teach us to pass and control a ball hes there to form a game plan and to help the team mould and play together

hillybillie
wrote on 02-Jun-17 16:08

sometimes officials are blind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIWWTbBFB_c

Juice
wrote on 03-Jun-17 19:01

evolution Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i think you have your graduation goggles on still > old timer > > now that you look back everything seems all rosy > and perfect > > i agree this year is well below par, but last year > any of the top 6 teams in the ghfa would have > beaten any of the 90s champions > > the game has evolved As someone that played in both decades and the current, I'd have to disagree. The EEW and PEN of the 90s particularly were better. Throw in NER of the late 90s/00 and Gladesville RSL and I'd say they do the number on all top 6 and yes even KEN. They weren't just better structured but bigger, more mobile, skilful and smarter.

Onlooker38
wrote on 05-Jun-17 19:03

Thank you juice. You cannot discount WPH from this discussion as there were many quality footballers who could also play the game from their squad. It is not about speed and aggression but having a football brain which a larger percentage of players do not have today and knowing what to do with the ball before they receive it. I have watched a few games this year and the standard is quite average to say the least. Fields are better now than what was played on 10 plus years ago, so what is the excuse for this? Bad bounce off the synthetic...keep you eyes open champ!!! The likes of Batten and rsl, Morro and the penno boys,toss and the eew boys and boz and the wph team would attest to the high level of football that was played every week where reserves were as competitive as firsts. Don't forget Sta in this as well from the 90's / 00's This is what I am trying to get across.

Author:
Subject: