No Slide Table in O45s - New Rule

Views: 6712 Posts: 24
FBI
wrote on 07-Apr-17 21:04

FFS what is the sport coming to. The administration of our association are delusional. A black day for the code.

Yep makes sense
wrote on 10-Apr-17 14:05

Given there are plenty of players well into their 50s and some beyond 60, I think it's a very smart move by GHFA. A majority of 45s players have lost the ability to correctly time a slide tackle. And they have too many extra pounds attached when both players hit the deck, making injuries more likely. When the mistimed tackle ends badly and the old blokes'screaming/fighting starts, it's a pretty ugly sight. Sheep station prizes are not on offer for the winners. Yellow cards etc will easily halve in number.

FBI
wrote on 10-Apr-17 18:08

Any other rules you'd support a change to, small size pitch, shorter halves, different shape ball perhaps. Next time you journey into a Rebel Sports buy yourself a skirt and head off to the Netball courts.

Juice
wrote on 10-Apr-17 19:05

Common sense really. Perhaps FBI when you're in this age group you might understand the whole 'despite the mind willing, the body is not up to it' concept. Sadly missed timed tackles, a lack of physical ability to protect themselves or agility to move out of the way of collisions etc in time, leads to pretty serious injuries that much younger players don't generally receive. You'll understand one day FBI :)

lothar
wrote on 10-Apr-17 21:02

Much better than the new Law which says your headband must match your underwear colour..

Rich
wrote on 10-Apr-17 21:04

Played in 045 last 6 years. Hardly ever seen a slide tackle that ended in injury except in Div 1 where a few teams get a bit competitive (understatement). Way more dangerous are the rubbish fields we have to play on.

Hoggy
wrote on 11-Apr-17 06:08

There comes a point when chopping down 60 yr olds is unnecessary. Much like tackling from behind was outlawed. Those teams or individual players that think otherwise can stay in or go back to 35s.

THE ROCK
wrote on 12-Apr-17 06:04

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought slide tackles were not allowed in O35's?

Retirement
wrote on 12-Apr-17 09:02

I have a better solution....why have an O/45 comp anyway. I am in my 50's and as much as I still want to play I realise there comes a time when you need to hang up the boots. Some players have more strapping than Egyptian mummies and after 15 mins when fatigue sets in the arguing starts with the referees, their own team mates and on the odd occasion the opposition players. Do what I did and become a referee, you get paid to run, still involved in the game you won't hobble off the field, and you can go and watch your kids play.

Rich
wrote on 14-Apr-17 20:08

Why do we keep playing? Because we can. Because we love the competition, beers with mates, the great feeling we've always got playing this great game. I'm 60 this year. Missed a brilliant goal last week! Bring on the next game.

Jethro
wrote on 17-Apr-17 11:05

All hail the beers. Rich, pity we are not players Rovers this season

Agree
wrote on 18-Apr-17 00:04

Why would I be a ref when I could still get the heart rate up playing with my mates and potentially scoring the odd goal. Nothing beats it and we need something to hobble around with come Mon, tue and wed!

Old Timer
wrote on 18-Apr-17 11:01

The GHFA don't have a special rule for slide tackles for Over 45's. Some other associations do, but GHFA does not. It's very rare to see a slide tackle in Over 35's and 45's but many slide tackles you see are clumsy and often "miss timed" or deliberately used to bring someone down. I'd like to see the rule introduced as the average weight of players is much higher and sadly the old bodies don't bend, bounce or flex as well compared to when you are 20 so injuries are much more common. The over 45's should be glad their bodies allow them to have a stand up game of footy and still have a fun and adjust to those rules which also allows a more free flowing game. They should reduce the length of game time for Over 45's as if you don't have 4 interchange players, the halves a way too long for the fitness level and the game cuts into the drinking time. Under 16's play 35 minute halves and 45 - 60 year olds have to play 45 minute halves. That makes sense.

wrote on 18-Apr-17 16:04

Old Timer, I think you need to read the GHFA home page, especially the section headed.. "O45 No Slide Tackle Rule" "The GHFA Management Committee has agreed to implement a no slide tackle rule in the O45 competition from Round 2 onwards." Rock - No rule exists for Over 35s.

Old Timer
wrote on 18-Apr-17 18:07

47, Looks like you are right....well half right. I also moonlight as a ref and this hasn't been communicated to it's members and isn't on it's website (just double checked). It is a good rule change. Will be interesting how well it's communicated through to all Over 45 players.

wrote on 18-Apr-17 20:00

its on the ghfa home page i'm looking at. Scroll down. The rule has been emailed to all clubs with o45 teams.

Old Timer
wrote on 18-Apr-17 21:05

47, I've seen the GHFA website. My point is the GHFA can post whatever rule changes they want on their website and email the clubs, but if the refs aren't informed of a special local By Law and have the time to communicate it to their hundreds of members, then the rule won't be enforced. It's not featured on the referee's GHFRA website.

Rich
wrote on 18-Apr-17 22:00

Yep Jethro One more GF would have been good

wrote on 19-Apr-17 16:00

Old Timer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 47, > > I've seen the GHFA website. My point is the GHFA > can post whatever rule changes they want on their > website and email the clubs, but if the refs > aren't informed of a special local By Law and have > the time to communicate it to their hundreds of > members, then the rule won't be enforced. It's not > featured on the referee's GHFRA website. Not true.. they ref gave us a lecture before kick-off in the last round.. how?

FBI
wrote on 29-Jan-18 23:07

In 2018 GHFA want to play a joint competition for Over 45-1 with Hills Football Association as their own competition won’t stand up.

7/11
wrote on 30-Jan-18 20:03

FBI Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In 2018 GHFA want to play a joint competition for > Over 45-1 with Hills Football Association as their > own competition won’t stand up. Don't be surprised if 35/1s & 21/1s go the same way in the future

Harbinger
wrote on 31-Jan-18 14:00

FBI Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In 2018 GHFA want to play a joint competition for > Over 45-1 with Hills Football Association as their > own competition won’t stand up. The GHFA approached the HFI to form a joint 045/1 competition citing the fact that their competition was dominated by a few very strong teams & they wanted to form a competition which had a greater number of strong teams & less teams that were being flogged each week.

FBI
wrote on 31-Jan-18 15:04

Harbinger Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FBI Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > In 2018 GHFA want to play a joint competition > for > > Over 45-1 with Hills Football Association as > their > > own competition won’t stand up. > > The GHFA approached the HFI to form a joint 045/1 > competition citing the fact that their competition > was dominated by a few very strong teams & they > wanted to form a competition which had a greater > number of strong teams & less teams that were > being flogged each week. GHFA won’t get enough nominations for a O45/1 competitions according to the GM hence the approach to Hills. Unless GHFA announce their intentions I expect some players will not register until this is set in concrete.

Dick Tracey
wrote on 12-Jul-19 11:06

Retirement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have a better solution....why have an O/45 comp > anyway. > I am in my 50's and as much as I still want to > play I realise there comes a time when you need to > hang up the boots. > Some players have more strapping than Egyptian > mummies and after 15 mins when fatigue sets in the > arguing starts with the referees, their own team > mates and on the odd occasion the opposition > players. > Do what I did and become a referee, you get paid > to run, still involved in the game you won't > hobble off the field, and you can go and watch > your kids play. Yes i wonder how they strike the ball all wrapped up like an Yirros

Author:
Subject: