New Rule - 6 yellow cards in a game

Views: 2058 Posts: 31
THE ROCK
wrote on 22-Jun-16 11:08

Does anyone know about this new rule about if you get 6 yellow cards in one game(firsts or reserves), you loose points?

Our reserve grade team copped it a few weeks back and apparently we have had a formal warning, but if we get it again we will loose points.

Apparently Ravens First grade are in the same boat.

Anyone else heard about it?

Helpful Harry
wrote on 22-Jun-16 12:01

From the GHFA Grievance & Disciplinary Regulations: 16.5 Team Misconduct (a) The GPT may impose additional Suspensions on a Club for the Misconduct of a team, including when: i. five (5) Players are given Yellow Cards or Red Cards during one (1) Match; ii. three (3) Players are given Red Cards during one (1) Match; iii. one or more together make threats or show force against a Match Official; or iv. Players and/or Participants engage in violent conduct. (b) The relevant sanctions for team misconduct are set out at Schedule 3 to these Regulations.

THE ROCK
wrote on 22-Jun-16 13:06

Thanks Harry, but when has this ever been enforced prior to this season? And what is the penalty? Loss of points? It's not hard to get 5 yellow cards in a game when your using 16 players and the ref is trigger happy.

InTheKnow
wrote on 22-Jun-16 14:09

The regulation of the GDR of 16.5 has been there for some time, however it has (rightly or wrongly) generally not been enforced by the Disciplinary Committee nor GPT. Pointing out obviously it is for either 5 yellow cards or 3 reds (card wise). Obviously a double yellow resulting in a Red will flag the two yellow cards for the purposes of Team Misconduct. I believe the purpose and thought process in bringing it to be enforced for 2016 was to try and cut down on the select teams that abuse the process whether it be intentional or not, and for the teams to be more aware of their conduct. This obviously also ties into the spirit and card-happiness of some referees, but as always reinforces the fact that the team (and management) should play the referee and his whistle. First offence is a formal Reprimand, and I believe further infractions will start costing competition points. The GPT in looking at the cards given, will check to see if they are based on suspect tackles, or dissent or other. Personally I see any team getting 3 reds automatically deserves it - but the 5 yellows can certainly be contentious.

THE ROCK
wrote on 22-Jun-16 15:01

Point taken, 3 reds you pretty much deserve it, but 5 yellows surely is not uncommon across the competition. We have had a few games this season with 0 yellows in both grades! But yet one game with 5-6 yellows? Surely the DC can see it's a particular official with his hand on the trigger! We have had 1 player who has been given 4 yellows and a red from the same official over 3 matches(some deserved, some rough decisions). My question is regarding what is the actual penalty? I'm assuming that it's managed on a case by case basis? or do they reverse the result(ie forfieght the match) Pretty steep penalty to start enforcing! I bet a majority of teams/players do not even know the severity of the penalty...

Old Timer
wrote on 22-Jun-16 15:05

I was told about the 6 yellow card rule a few weeks ago but then checked Helpful Harry's post on GHFA's site and sure enough it is 5! The rule says that the GPT "may" impose additional suspensions. Vague rule. I was told if there were 6 yellows the Club first received a please explain letter or warning letter and if it happens a second time there is loss of competition points. Maybe there is an updated version of rules that hasn't been updated on the GHFA website?? I've also heard that in the Eastern Suburbs competition this weekend, no referee's have been appointed to games due to the amount of abuse towards officials recently. Good luck to the coaches and managers in that comp this weekend who will be running with the whistle.

Interested By Stander
wrote on 22-Jun-16 15:07

Is it a club offence, or is it a Team offence or a Squad offence?

Whats the point?
wrote on 22-Jun-16 16:04

Isn't the whole purpose of having a Disciplinary Committee to suspend players who abuse the system? It's already pretty ridiculous that 4 yellow cards draws a suspension, Other competitions such as the NSWPL/NSWSL who play the same amount of games as us is (5=1wk,3=1wk )

InTheKnow
wrote on 22-Jun-16 16:04

The yellows are looked at on a case by case basis, and as I stated earlier, where the yellows seem to be innocuous then benefit of the doubt and logic SHOULD prevail. However again, while there are some Refs that are a little more frivolous or perhaps more technical with their issuing of cards, it still is up to the team and players to play to the ref's expectations. Again not for one second saying there aren't some issues with cards and some referees. Insofar as the penalties, the formal reprimand is first, I believe the second is a loss of 2 competition points (I believe this has occurred to one team already), and further would result in further ramifications (more points? not sure). I can state that all the Club Delegates were reminded at a couple of MC meetings prior to the season that the Team Misconduct were going to be actioned on this season. So perhaps its more of the Delegates not passing the message on, or the Club not passing it on. The offence is initially to the Club/Squad. So for PL/SL it would be to the Firsts OR Reserves not both... as far as I know. Hope that helps

Helpful Harry
wrote on 22-Jun-16 17:07

First offense is a reprimand, second offense is loss of 2 competition points. Automatic, no consideration of what the yellow cards are for. Lots of teams have had a first offense. One or two have lost points.

Mad
wrote on 22-Jun-16 18:02

5 yellows in a game and you are reported for "Team Misconduct" what kind of Nazi regime is the GHFA?? Increasing penalties will just mean players outside the PL will just play under different names etc and cheat the system. There is a balance and enforcing this crap simply encourages another form of bad behaviour.

Happened
wrote on 22-Jun-16 20:06

It has been enforced this season in SL Ryde copped a 2 point penalty for 2 reds in a game

agree
wrote on 23-Jun-16 08:06

totally agree with you rock most games we have had this season there has been one or two yellows given to both teams some games there have been none and like you said there have been 2 games where we have gotten 6/7 yellows with the other team around the same and we had the same referee for both of these games - the bald chubby thumb ref

question
wrote on 23-Jun-16 08:07

we've received a warning where it is clear that 2 of the yellows were timewasting yellows (87', 90') minutes. you would think they would show some discretion there.

grubs
wrote on 23-Jun-16 10:01

Or you could just stop timewasting ya wankers

Old Timer
wrote on 23-Jun-16 10:07

The GHFA should have stoppage time in the last 5 minutes to avoid the issue of time wasting and the good old dodgy substitute at the end of the game. Question, if two of your team are booked for time wasting in the last 3 minutes (and if it was blatant), it's not in the spririt of the game and some would say it's a form of cheating if totally blatant like booting the ball away in the dying seconds of the game so although it means your team weren't probably hacking all day and hence had 6 yellows you still have a case of team discipline was dodgy assuming you didn't have a trigger happy ref.

Nah mate
wrote on 23-Jun-16 10:09

grubs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------
> Or you could just stop timewasting ya wankers

We'll do what we want mate. A wins a win in this comp.. Take what points you can get.

top blokes
wrote on 23-Jun-16 12:04

Nah mate Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > grubs Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Or you could just stop timewasting ya wankers > > We'll do what we want mate. A wins a win in this > comp.. Take what points you can get. Good to see decent sportsmanship is alive and well in the GHFA lads

GrumpyOldMan
wrote on 23-Jun-16 12:04

The GPT decided last year to enforce the rule. All clubs were notified Every team gets a letter after the first offence Second offence is discussed at GPT and sanction considered. Trying to interpret the yellows can be tricky. If someone kicks away a ball to delay restart - is that the same as poor tackle or dissent. Depends on the situation. The aim is to make teams responsible for all their players behavior and identify teams who are serial offenders. Maybe there is a better way to measure this- i believe there may be some discussion on this at a forthcoming meeting, so good chance to talk to your club about it. Everyone always likes to blame the ref, but I somehow doubt that every case is due to "trigger happy" individuals. And the time wasting example is exactly why this is being considered. Maybe if you had known that your were on wood for team misconduct, you wouldn't have time wasted and given the other team a fair chance..... Just saying!

Wrong..
wrote on 23-Jun-16 13:01

It's not about sportsmanship. You win premierships by winning games. Not by being nice. Be nice off the field. Every team for themselves in the field.

THE ROCK
wrote on 23-Jun-16 14:05

I'm not suggesting everything is due to a trigger happy ref. I am trying to suggest that if a teams yellow card record for the season is 0 0 1 2 0 2 2 2 7 0 0 , then doesn't that raise a few alarm bells? I agree, with the above, you do what you can to win games, but do the GHFA really comprehend what they are doing with this? We are entering into the backend of the season where points are really tight for the premiership along with relegation. I would hate to see a team loose the premiership or be relegated over this rule. Not to mention it's putting more pressure on ref's!

Ref
wrote on 23-Jun-16 17:02

What a fantastic way to ruin a competition. If there have been no red cards then there has been no serious misconduct. This even effects the refs ability to control a game by using his yellow card, the ref should be able to caution a player without having to worry about them losing competition points

Who needs them
wrote on 23-Jun-16 22:03

Based upon the referees I have seen this year, I beleive the teams would cope better without match officials.

THE ROCK
wrote on 24-Jun-16 11:01

I think you guys are kidding yourself if you believe we are better off without officials. Ref's and Assistants in this district are among the best in the Local leagues across the state. Credit when credit is due! Personally i would like to see this continue without additional pressures being placed on officials. I do understand that this rule has merit, but not for Premier League and Super League where we actually play under our correct names week in week out as we get penalised for doing the wrong thing by individual suspensions. It seems like double dipping to suspend players and teams. I would have thought that this rule was introduced to control some of the teams in lower leagues that play suspended players week in week out under different names.

Queen
wrote on 24-Jun-16 15:02

The referee's are not under pressure with this "5 card rule" as individual referee's haven't been told about it. I'm sure this rule was originally bought in for the discretionary of the GPT so they could come down harder on some teams who were miss behaving on a regular basis but they could use the rule selectively when they chose. There has been a couple of teams in higher All Age who were a big problem. a few new faces have probably seen the rule and want to enforce it for all breaches to be consistent.

Horko
wrote on 24-Jun-16 16:06

It would be interesting to see if team's police it knowing they could lose points being on 4 yellows for a match with a player walking off the field for a substitution, kicking the ball away or general time wasting trying to guarantee points for that game. Imagine being the player to give away a penalty in the last minute to cost his team the game getting a yellow card and then the team being docked an extra 2 points for it also being the 5th yellow

hillbilly
wrote on 27-Jun-16 12:01

something else unrelated: can you send someone off with a red after they have already left the technical area -after match ended?

THE ROCK
wrote on 27-Jun-16 14:09

Yes, 100% you can send someone off after the match has ended. Normal suspensions apply.

haha
wrote on 29-Jun-16 20:08

THE ROCK Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes, 100% you can send someone off after the match > has ended. > > Normal suspensions apply. Not sure about that.. gotta be a limit. within tech area..within fence-in.. within clubhouse,, within car-park? 2 min after final whistle, 5 min,, 20 min after while they are still lazing around having beers/gatorade

hahaha
wrote on 30-Jun-16 07:05

even 20 minutes later if youre still at the ground having beers and you shout something out at the ref as he is leaving he can put a report in about you and you can be suspended he may not be able to card you at that time doesnt mean you can get away with it

HAHAHAHA
wrote on 30-Jun-16 18:05

NOT REALLY MATE.. what if one team member swore at another team member 30 min after match ended while both teams were having a Barbie within the compound,,,and one guy approached u after u came out from the showers saying the other guy had told him "he's a fcking prick.... ref u gotta card him he swore at me".... lol.......

Author:
Subject: